Thousands working in the manufactured housing industry have little sense of the various trade groups that operate in the industry, much less the history of the national trade groups. As evidence for that, someone could pick at random a manufactured home production center or a larger land-lease community. Avoid the managers or sales professionals and then ask 10 people at random working at that property or on the factory floor what does the acronym MHI mean? Or for that matter, what does the acronym MHARR or NAMHCO mean? Odds are good that many if not most (in some cases, all) will not be able to correctly answer those inquiries for all three. Variations of that test have been performed by this publication at various times, so it isn’t a matter of mere speculation. The lack of understanding of the association system in manufactured housing among several segments of the industry is anecdotally significant. Try to get Gallup or some other polling unit to do that research, and they may first ask the question – who is going to pay for that survey? Those points made, that test of knowledge about manufactured housing industry trade groups may not be entirely unusual. Some other professions may have similar experience among non-management or non-sales and public-relations level employees. That understood, it would be fair to say that there is far greater knowledge of what does the acronym NAR mean among people involved in real estate, but to document that properly one should determine that more scientifically through an also costly survey. In the light of those anecdotal insights, it is noteworthy that perhaps thousands in MHVille do have some idea of the role state and national associations are supposed to have in the operation of the manufactured home industry. What is that role? While there are several possible legitimate functions for a trade group that are based on their governing documents, left-leaning Wikipedia states in an article on “trade association” on this date that “One of the primary purposes of trade groups, particularly in the United States, is to attempt to influence public policy in a direction favorable to the group’s members.” That definition of a trade organization which attempts “to influence public policy in a direction favorable to the group’s members” noted, even among those who have knowledge of what trade groups exist in manufactured housing and what their various claims are, the case could be made that numbers of manufactured home industry professionals have little to no sense of these next historic facts. In years gone by, manufactured housing had a greater diversity of trade groups. When there were more trade organizations, the old mobile home turned manufactured housing industry was also larger – as measured in statistical ways such as producing more manufactured homes. But the manufactured home industry was also larger when measured by thousands of more street retailers, well over 150 more production centers, and apparently several thousand more land-lease manufactured home communities too. Which begs the question: did the consolidation of much of the once diverse representation for various segments of the manufactured housing industry under the Manufactured Housing Institute (MHI) ‘umbrella’ help or harm the interests of tens of thousands working in the manufactured home industry? And what about the remaining professional trade associations at the state level?
Those questions will be explored further below.
- Part I of today’s report is the ‘official’ list of state associations, per MHI. Note that two state associations that MHI doesn’t mention that reportedly broke away from MHI, (click links for insights and/or details) are not on their list. Those two MHI fails to mention are shown in Part III, further below.
- Part II of this article includes the “history” of MHI posted on their website, according to Al Hesselbart, Vice President of The Manufactured Housing Heritage Foundation (think RV MH Hall of Fame).
- Part III is Additional Information with more MHProNews analysis and industry expert commentary.
- Part IV of this report is our signature business weekday macro-markets graphical snapshot, and manufactured housing connected equities that include real estate investment trusts and conglomerates that own an interest in manufactured home production, communities, finance, brokerage, or other segments of the industry. The often insightful and time saving ‘market moving’ headlines from CNN (left-leaning) and Newsmax (right leaning) are also provided.
Part I State Associations per MHI
List as posted by MHI on 5.15.2023
|Alabama MHA||Mr. Lance Latham|
|Arkansas MHA||Mr. J.D. Harper|
|California MHI||Mr. Jess Maxcy|
|California Mobilehome Parkowners Alliance
(MHProNews Note: on this date, MHI’s website listing didn’t provide this link for the CMPA website, so we will: https://cmpa.us)
|Ms. Natalie Costaglio|
|Connecticut MHA||Ms. Nancy Palmisano|
|First State MHA||Ms. Jennifer Allen, PHC|
|Florida MHA||Mr. James Ayotte, CAE|
|Georgia MHA||Mr. Jimmy Cotty|
|Idaho MHA||Ms. Ginger Bidegaray|
|Illinois MHA||Mr. Frank Bowman|
|Indiana MHA||Mr. Ronald L. Breymier|
|Iowa MHA||Mr. Andy Conlin|
|Kansas MHA||Ms. Martha Neu Smith|
|Kentucky MHI||Mr. Logan Hanes|
|LMHA||Mr. Steve Duke|
|Manufactured & Modular Home Association of Minnesota||Mr. Mark Brunner|
|Massachusetts MHA||Ms. Melissa Caron|
|MHA of Maine||Mr. Richard Bradstreet|
|MHA of Oklahoma||Ms. Deanna Fields, PHC|
|MHI of Arizona||Mr. Ken Anderson, PHC|
|MHI of Maryland|
|MHI of South Carolina||Mr. Mark Dillard|
|Michigan Manufactured Housing Association||Mr. John Lindley, IOM|
|Mississippi MHA||Ms. Jennifer Hall|
|Missouri MHA||Mr. Thomas Hagar|
|Montana MH & RV Assoc.||Mr. Stuart Doggett|
[MHI’s management and staff apparently don’t care enough about the details to explain this acronym, so MHProNews will: North Carolina (NC) Manufactured & Modular Homebuilders Association]
|Mr. Brad Lovin|
|Nebraska MHA||Mr. Martin B. Huff|
|Nevada Housing Alliance||Mr. Leo A. Poggione, PHC|
|New Jersey MHA||Ms. Mary Beth Park|
|New Mexico MHA||Mr. Mark Duran|
|New York Housing Association, Inc.||Mr. Robert J. Capenos, CIC|
|NH Manufactured Housing Association||Ms. Karen N. Soucy|
|North Dakota MHA||Ms. Shannon Erie|
|Northwest Housing Association||Mr. Lance Clark|
|Ohio MHA||Mr. Tim Williams|
|Oregon Manufactured Housing Association||Ms. Jody Lyon|
|Pennsylvania MHA||Ms. Mary Gaiski, PHC|
|Rocky Mountain Home Association||Ms. Tawny Peyton|
|South Dakota MHA||Ms. Jasper Diegel|
|Tennessee Housing Association||Ms. Marla Y. McAfee|
|Texas MHA||Mr. D.J. Pendleton|
|Utah Housing Alliance||Ms. Tawny Peyton|
|Virginia Manufactured and Modular Housing Assoc.||Mr. Randy Grumbine|
|West Virginia Housing Institute, Inc.||Ms. Andrea Greene|
|Western MHC Assn.||Mr. Doug Johnson|
|Wisconsin Housing Alliance||Ms. Amy Bliss|
|Wyoming Housing Alliance||Ms. Laurie Urbigkit|
* MHProNews Note: At least two more state associations are not shown on the MHI website in the list above which are shown in Part III of this report.
A History of The Manufactured Housing Institute
By Al Hesselbart, Vice President of The Manufactured Housing Heritage Foundation
The current MHI organization came into being on September 1, 1975 following about ten years of negotiations between the major associations representing manufacturers, dealers, suppliers, and state organizations.
Trailer Coach Association (TCA) formed March 5, 1936, and headquartered in Los Angeles, Calif., represented the industry in the western portion of the country. TCA held its first show in Los Angeles in May 1936. TCA founded “Trailer Life” magazine as it’s house organ and promotional periodical in 1941. The magazine was sold to Art Rouse in 1958. The TCA developed a set of construction standards in 1951 which were optional to their members. TCA’s headquarters became the offices of MHI Western Region.
Mobile Homes Manufacturers Association (MHMA) formed in August, 1936, as the Trailer Coach Manufacturers Association, and headquartered first in Detroit and then moved to Chicago in 1938, represented the industry in the Midwest and East. Seeds of this organization were first planted at the Tin Can Tourists convention at Grand Rapids, Mich. in 1935. MHMA held its first show in August 1939, at Manistee, Mich. Twenty-eight manufacturers showed 95 models. The MHMA developed a set of standards for mechanical and material components in 1958. The national headquarters was moved to Chantilly, Va. in 1972, and to Washington D.C. in 1974. MHMA’s offices became MHI national headquarters.
The Mobile Home Craftman’s Guild was a group of manufacturers, all MHMA members, who joined together in 1958 to develop the “Gold Seal” program as a pledge to follow the latest standards for mechanical, material, and design components. In 1964, the TCA standards and the MHMA standards were combined under the auspices of the American National Standards Institute in 1964, with the ANSI program still in use. Following this combination, the Gold Seal lost much of its effectiveness and was no longer in use in 1975.
South East Mobile Home Institute (SEMHI) formed in 1967. It represented the interests of state manufactured housing associations in the states of North and South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, and West Virginia. The association continued to exist as a representative of its member state organizations following the creation of MHI, but after one to two years it was felt it was redundant and disbanded.
Mobilehome Dealers National Association (MDNA) represented the retailers nationally and was not directly involved in the forming of MHI but did cease to exist at the same time as SEMHI.
The Board of MHMA approved the formation of MHI at its annual meeting in March of 1975, TCA’s board approved it on June 1, 1975, and SEMHI approved it on September 1, 1975, making the creation of MHI officially accepted by all participating bodies.
This team of industry leaders with the support of many others working on task forces and committees shaped the future of MHI. By merging the finest attributes of all of the various associations, they created an organization which politically represented the industry nationally before lawmaking bodies. By standardizing methods, quality and safety of manufacturing materials and techniques they lead the way for the growth of today’s manufactured home industry.
As state associations gained strength and represented the local community operators and retailers to state legislative bodies and provided shows, and other marketing activities for their membership, The National Manufactured Housing Federation was formed in 1977 under the leadership of Holt Blomgren and others to facilitate development of a national consensus on key issues. Blomgren, Executive Director of the Indiana Manufactured Housing Association became its first Executive Director, and Paul Stiner, its first President. Originally involving seven state associations (California, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Texas and Washington), the federation grew to represent 41 states by 1983. The Iowa MHI was the first association to join with the original seven.
In March of 1991, at the Nashville Manufactured Housing Show, the Executive Committees of MHI and the Federation agreed to pursue a merger. In September, the Board of the Federation approved the action at its meeting in Las Vegas and the MHI Board approved the merger at its meeting in October in San Diego. The National Manufactured Housing Federation thus became the Federated States Division of MHI in October 1991. This action effectively joined all aspects of the manufactured housing industry – suppliers, manufacturers, retailers and communities, into one associated body.
The original officers of MHI were:
- Chairman: William Weide, Fleetwood Enterprises, Inc.
- Chair: John Trask, DMH Co.
- Secretary: M.W. Deitch, Deitch Enterprises
- Treasurer: Fred Haile, Magic Chef
- Sgt at Arms: Ed Brizz, Moen
Manufacturer members of the Board of Directors were:
- C. Merta, Moduline
- Thomas Malloy, Bendix Housing
- Donald Techentien, Conchemo
- Robert Morris, Coachmen Industries
Supplier members of the Board of Directors were:
- Dean Replogle, Bristol Products
- James Myers, National Gypsum
- Peter Sechia, Universal Forest Products
- Stan Reiners, Monsanto
- Joseph Ellis, LaSalle-Deitch
- Roy Beck, Beck Corporation
“Mobile Home Dealer” and “Mobile Home Merchandiser” [**] magazines and “Homes for Travel and Living” by Dr. Carlton Edwards, from the collection of the RV/MH Heritage Foundation. Interviews with Roger Reynolds, MHMA staff-retired; Bill Garpow, Public Relations Director of SEMHI at the time of the merger; and Dan Gilligan past director of the National Manufactured Housing Federation. ##
**MHProNews note: the Mobile Home Merchandiser became the Manufactured Home Merchandiser which went defunct in 2009. The platform which became MHProNews was launched a few months after the MH Merchandiser folded.
Part III – Additional Information with More MHProNews Analysis and Commentary in Brief
The history of MHI is incomplete at best or in places apparently “paltering” or misleading at worst. Some examples.
- 1) There is no mention of MHI’s headquarters currently being in Arlington, VA.
- 2) Quoting the last paragraph in MHI’s-Hesselbart history above: “Federated States Division of MHI in October 1991. This action effectively joined all aspects of the manufactured housing industry – suppliers, manufacturers, retailers and communities, into one associated body.” That may be a partial truth, in as much as MHI specifically is concerned. But that is not a complete truth. Missing from the manufactured housing history above is the point that “on July 3, 1985” the “Association for Regulatory Reform” (ARR)” was formed. Later, ARR changed to its current name in the summer of 1997, which is the Manufactured Housing Association for Regulatory Reform (MHARR) which is a separate national entity from MHI.
- 3) According to HUD, there are at least two national trade bodies that they effectively recognize.
- 4) Despite the fact that MHI and MHARR have at times demonstrably worked together on issues, according to MHI’s late vice president Bruce Savage in an official statement that reflected MHI’s position at that time. But in their current and self-proclaimed “MHI 2.0” era, and since MHI’s website was rebuilt a few years ago, a case could be made that MHI is attempting to act as if they are the one and only voice for the manufactured home industry. What Savage and others previously referenced at MHI about MHARR has since been apparently culled from the public facing part of the MHI website, as the MHI site-search results in the graphic shown here illustrate. By contrast, a similar search on the MHARR website has revealed several references to MHI. Apparently, facts are at times inconvenient for MHI?
- 5) Ironically, Hesselbart has obvious ties to the RV/MH Hall of Fame, which includes several members of MHARR among their inductees. Which begs the question: why didn’t Hesselbart at least mention MHARR in the ‘history’ above?
It is considered gauche by some to mention one’s self or one’s publication in an article, but others in media do so with ease. This quick survey of associations and their ‘history’ obliquely reveals some examples of why MHProNews has periodically asked former MHI Vice President and MHARR founding President and CEO Danny Ghorbani to do a history of the industry. Few can honestly say that they have some 5 decades in the manufactured home industry. While Ghorbani devotes some time to the industry, he has other interests too. While retired, he is still special advisor to Mark Weiss, President and CEO of MHARR. Ghorbani can expose issues like the removable chassis topic that MHI is recently oddly raising, even though they reportedly had a critical hand in killing an already arranged deal in Congress worked on by MHARR in the 1990s to make the removable chassis part of federal law. MHProNews will ask Ghorbani again for more insights on the historic and chassis fronts. Each shed light on why the manufactured housing industry is underperforming during an affordable housing crisis.
To be accurate and balanced, MHProNews and/or our MHLivingNews sister site also provides opportunities for MHI to weigh in.
Much as MHProNews provides Q&A opportunities for MHARR, this platform provides inquiries for MHI, Berkshire Hathaway, Clayton Homes, 21st Mortgage Corporation, Vanderbilt Mortgage and Finance (VMF), and several other key MHI members. Again, for accuracy, some MHI members and insiders provide periodic insights to MHProNews which allows us to cover information that MHI would apparently try to publicly conceal.
Longtime MH Retail Sales Manager Asks Manufactured Home Leaders – Why are Manufactured Housing Production Levels Today About Half of 1980s When Interest Rates Hit 20.5% APR on ARM Loans?
There are several reasons why MHProNews has kept publicly traded Legacy Housing, or Nobility Homes, in the periodic spotlight. Each shed light on the industry that may not be as apparent absent their respect and unique status. As Bates said, and as was reported in our report yesterday linked below, few have 40 years of experience in manufactured housing. Curtis “Curt” Hodgson and Kenneth “Kenny” Shipley could shed tremendous light on the realities of manufactured housing that others can’t, don’t, or won’t openly provide.
Legacy Housing Financial Results and Earnings Call 1Q 2023-‘Sales Slowed but Margins Improved’ Duncan Bates Boasts of Manufactured Housing ‘Business Tailwinds’ Official Data-Analysis
Something similar could be said about Nobility Homes. Their management team of Terry and Tom Trexler have weathered numerous storms and are financially strong despite the often-troubled waters that have to be navigated in MHVille.
NOBILITY HOMES INC 2022 Annual Report, 10Q Data Reveal Useful Insights for Manufactured Housing Investors, Career-Focused Pros, Trainees, and NOBH Shareholders; plus Dozens of MHVille Stocks, REITs Updates
Manufactured housing is underperforming as an industry. Some of the reasons for that includes what is done, and not done, by various trade groups. Some of that underperformance is only understood in the light of historical information. Who says? That case is made by a prominent Democratic lawmaker and a prominent Democratic supporter who happens to play an outsized role in manufactured housing. The two quotations that follow speak volumes for those with the eyes and mind to see.
‘In the Business World, the Rear-View Mirror is Always Clearer than the Windshield’–Warren Buffett MHVille Leader Showcases Efforts to Renew American Dream; plus Sunday Weekly Headlines Recap
MHProNews plans to refer to this page on associations and related history in future reports. In fairness, there are numbers of other public and nonpublic firms that when properly understood shed keen light on manufactured housing’s obviously diminished role in providing affordable quality housing for millions of Americans. For some of those insights scroll into the links to other reports in Part IV of today’s post.
There is apparently no one in MHVille that has invested more time researching and reporting on the facts, third-party reports, and related insights that shed as much evidence based light on the current state of manufactured housing than MHProNews. MHI is ideally suited to do such work – at least in theory. But in practice, they are producing self-serving research that routinely fails the test of time, and sometimes is easily debunked or rendered nearly meaningless within days of it being offered to their members (see examples linked above). MHI’s leadership and attorneys have in recent years ducked the public engagement necessary to properly explain why they did X instead of Y or Z, when Y or Z may have made far more sense. Some state association executives have been useful in the battle to expose the role that MHI has played, but others are arguably as or nearly as guilty as MHI’s corporate and senior staff leaders are.
Andrew Justus, J.D., Niskanen Center Housing Policy Analyst, Hill Op-Ed Asks and Answers – ‘What’s Holding Back Manufactured Homes?’ Sunday Weekly MHVille Headlines in Review
‘HUD Takes Action To Highlight and Research Land Use, Zoning Reforms’ – Declares Manufactured Housing Institute (MHI) – ‘HUD Highlighting Promising Reforms;’ plus MHVille REITs, Stocks Update
Once upon a time U.S. Presidents spoke favorably about our industry. What happened to those glory days?
In days gone by, presidential hopefuls came to manufactured home communities to campaign. What happened to those efforts?
Secretary Ben Carson’s, Julian Castro’s Manufactured Housing, “Trailer,” “Mobile Home” Revelations, 2020 Battles Ahead
President Trump Praises “The Villages,” Developers, Manufactured Homes, Other Housing Land-Lease Community, Audience Cheers, Full Oct 3 2019 Speech Text, Video
MHAction Statements – Revealing! – George Soros, Clayton Homes, Warren Buffett, Manufactured Home Lending – Liz Voigt Tears Fannie, Freddie, “Predatory” Manufactured Housing Institute Community Members; plus, Manufactured Home Stock Updates
Tick tock, tick tock. The time for accountability in MHVille is drawing nearer.
The question is who will stay loyal to the powers that have be described by MHI insiders as follows. The only way the industry will achieve its true potential is for enough good women and men to step forward, even if only as anonymous tipsters to MHProNews, to reveal even more evidence of why the industry is underperforming during an affordable housing crisis. Because a good trade association has: “One of the primary purposes of trade groups, particularly in the United States, is to attempt to influence public policy in a direction favorable to the group’s members.” That means all the members, not just selected ones.
Since Loss of Stinebert at Manufactured Housing Institute (MHI) ‘Empowered F-cking Greedy, Selfish Leaders of Companies to Make MHI a Tool for Themselves’-plus MHVille Markets Update
Lawyer Tip$, LCI, PATK, Scholar=Manufactured Housing Institute Insider Says Manufactured Home Industry Sales ‘Will Never Recover to Prior Levels In Our Lifetime;’ plus MHVille Stocks Update
When will MHI broom Lesli Gooch? Will she someday become their scapegoat?
Cavco’s Inaugural Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Report Examined – ‘Ask Questions-Raise Concerns if They Exist’ – BBB Rating, Corp History, Other Factual Insights and Evidence Explored
Manufactured Housing April Updates for all 50 States for February 2023 Troubling Facts Paired with ‘Weasel Words’ by Manufactured Home Industry ‘Leaders’ – Data, Examples, Viewpoints, and Analysis
‘Deception and Misdirection’-MHI Proxy Response to Concerns About “Awards” to BBB D- rated Flagship Communities – ‘Facts are Stubborn Things’ Commentary; plus Sunday Weekly MHVille Headline Recap
In conclusion for these first three segments of today’s column, the evidence-based case can be made that a lack of widely distributed facts coupled with a clear understanding of reality benefits a few in MHVille. To the extent that most others lack certain facts, they are quite obviously harmed. Untold thousands of employees are being arguably being harmed in MHVille by the purported machinations of specific MHI insiders. Thousands of industry firms that arguably ought to have been vigorously defended by MHI, and/or their state association affiliates, are gone that should have been thriving instead.
OMHA’s General Counsel Elizabeth Birch Raises “Viability…Perception of Manufactured Housing,” Birch and Tim Williams Respond to Allegations – plus, Manufactured Housing Stock Updates
Warren Buffett Led Berkshire Hathaway has Over $100 Billion Available for Investing, Why That Matters to Manufactured Housing, MHEC Members Know How Gold Rules; plus Sunday Weekly Headlines Recap
That ravaging of the hopes and dreams of thousands of once thriving independents can’t be overlooked or forgotten by anyone that claims to be honorable.
Again, for more on that or other referenced topics see the linked reports. But as a result of documented insights and research like this, readers like you have made and kept us the runaway source for industry news, tips, and views pros can use. For tired/faux promises, tread worn rah rah, brownnosing, head fakes, and demonstrable BS, please look elsewhere. ##
Part IV – Daily Business News on MHProNews Markets and Headline News Segment
The modifications of our prior Daily Business News on MHProNews format of the recap of yesterday evening’s market report are provided below. It still includes our signature left (CNN Business) and right (Newsmax) ‘market moving’ headlines. The macro market moves graphics will provide context and comparisons for those invested in or tracking manufactured housing connected equities.
In minutes a day readers can get a good sense of significant or major events while keeping up with the trends that are impacting manufactured housing connected investing.
Reminder: several of the graphics on MHProNews can be opened into a larger size. For instance: click the image and follow the prompts in your browser or device to OPEN In a New Window. Then, in several browsers/devices you can click the image and increase the size. Use the ‘x out’ (close window) escape or back key to return.
Headlines from left-of-center CNN Business – from the evening of 5.15.2023
- Bouncing back after Covid
- Americans are setting vacation records and splurging at bars, restaurants and hotels
- Gas is almost $1 cheaper than a year ago
- Former Silicon Valley Bank CEO: ‘I am truly sorry’
- Apparent cyberattack forces Philadelphia Inquirer office to close ahead of mayoral primary
- EU approves Microsoft’s deal to buy Activision Blizzard
- Americans’ debt surpasses $17 trillion for the first time
- The man behind ChatGPT is about to have his moment on Capitol Hill
- America’s fastest growing sport is coming to your mall
- Turkish lira sinks to new record low on prospect of Erdogan re-election
- The Fed probably won’t cut rates anytime soon. Why that’s good news for markets
- European Union upgrades outlook for economy as energy prices retreat
- What happens if the debt ceiling and banking crisis collide?
- Vice Media files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy ahead of planned sale
- Ex-ByteDance employee claims China had ‘supreme access’ to all data
- Sexual harassment debate breathes new life into China’s #MeToo movement
- Lawsuit alleges that social media companies promoted White supremacist propaganda that led to radicalization of Buffalo mass shooter
- The agony and ecstasy of scoring last-minute face value Taylor Swift tickets
- ‘Every family should be concerned’ about debt ceiling, consumer watchdog warns
- Why America needs regional banks
- SVB and Signature Bank execs set to testify before the Senate this week
- The real reasons stores such as Walmart and Starbucks are closing in big cities
- Ex-ByteDance employee claims company stole content from competitors in earlier days
- US wants a recall of 67 million airbag inflators, but the manufacturer disagrees
Notice: the graphic below can be expanded to a larger size.
See the instructions below the graphic below or click the image and follow the prompts.
Headlines from right-of-center Newsmax 5.15.2023
- Durham Report: FBI Had No ‘Actual Evidence,’ Relied on Trump Opponents
- Special counsel John Durham, the prosecutor appointed to investigate potential government wrongdoing in the early days of the Trump-Russia probe, arrives at the E. Barrett Prettyman Federal Courthouse in Washington on Monday. (AP)
- “The Department and the FBI failed to uphold their important mission of strict fidelity to the law in connection with certain events and activities described in this report,” Durham wrote in a report capping a four-year probe. “Senior FBI personnel displayed a serious lack of analytical rigor towards the information that they received, especially information from politically affiliated persons and entities.” [Full Story]
- Jason Miller: DeSantis to ‘Have Very Tough Headwind’
- Fred Fleitz: ‘Bombshells’ in Hunter Report | video
- Mark Morgan: US Migrant Policies ‘Shell Game’ | video
- Alex Acosta: Slow Govt Spending, Not Economy | video
- Former AG Whitaker: Border Chaos ‘Complete Policy Failure’ | video
- Ernst on Funding Wuhan Lab Ally: ‘Will Not Let This Go’ | video
- Blaine Holt: China ‘Winner’ if it Brokers War’s End | video
- Dennis Quaid: Texas Shoots to Be ‘Film Capital of the World’ | video
- McCarthy: Too ‘Far Apart’ for Debt Deal by Weekend
- House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., blasted President Joe Biden for being disingenuous and failing to negotiate on the House-passed debt ceiling package, saying time is running out and that Biden wants debt default more than a deal…. [Full Story] | video
- Stocks End Slightly Firmer as Debt Ceiling Curbs Gains
- The S&P 500 and the Dow ended with modest gains Monday after [Full Story]
- At Least 3 Dead, More Wounded in N.M. Shooting
- At least three people were dead and multiple others wounded Monday [Full Story]
- Durham: FBI Had No ‘Actual Evidence’ of Trump Collusion
- The FBI lacked evidence to investigate Donald Trump’s 2016 [Full Story]
- TSA Is Testing Facial Recognition at More Airports
- A passenger walks up to an airport security checkpoint, slips an ID [Full Story]
- Abbott: Dominion Must Address Tucker’s Axing
- Texas Republican Gov. Greg Abbott wants Dominion Voting Systems to [Full Story]
- Why Megyn Says Irena Briganti Behind Tucker Smears |video
- Macron Vows to Boost Economy Shaken by Pension Protests
- Building factories to boost job creation and make France more [Full Story]
- Russian Missile Strike Kills 4 in Ukraine
- A Russian missile strike killed four people and hit a hospital in [Full Story]
- White House: Russia Looks to Buy More Attack Drones From Iran
- Zelenskyy: We Want to Create a Jets Coalition
- Kremlin: Macron Wrong to Say Russia Is Subservient to China
- Zelenskyy to Make Surprise Visit to Paris for Talks With Macron
- Zelenskyy Collects Charlemagne Prize
- Russia Says 2 of Its Commanders Killed
- Zelenskyy: Ukraine, West Can Make Russia’s Defeat ‘Irreversible’ This Year
- Zelenskyy Calls Germany ‘True Friend’
- Roger Ailes’ Wife Rips Murdochs for Fox ‘Havoc’
- Roger Ailes’ widow took to social media to wish her late husband a [Full Story]
- Musk’s Twitter Move Allows Focus on ‘Creative’ Side
- Even though Twitter soon will have a new “Chief Twit,” social media [Full Story] | Platinum Article
- Twitter’s New CEO May Be Heading Toward Glass Cliff
- Murphy Warns SCOTUS of ‘Popular Revolt’ on Guns
- Chris Murphy, D-Conn., said on Sunday that the Supreme Court [Full Story]
- Top 5 Advanced Crafts, Devices in China’s Spy Tech Arsenal
- The Chinese spy balloon that traversed the continental U.S. for [Full Story] | Platinum Article
- Dems Hope Extreme GOP-ers Win Senate Primaries
- Michigan Sen. Gary Peters, the Democrats’ senatorial campaign [Full Story]
- DeSantis: Fights for ‘What it Means to Be an American’
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has been at war with the Walt Disney [Full Story]
- Biden: Southern Border’ Much Better Than You All Expected’
- During a bicycle ride in Delaware, President Joe Biden told reporters [Full Story] | video
- Poll: Trump Surges to 56.6-Point Edge on DeSantis
- The power of former President Donald Trump in Kentucky is getting [Full Story] | video
- US Citizen, 78, Gets Life Sentence in China for Spying
- A 78-year-old U.S. citizen was sentenced to life in a Chinese prison [Full Story]
- College Costs Dropping After Outcry
- The cost of going to college is declining after adjusting for [Full Story]
- DHS Official: 2,500 Migrants Deported Back to Mexico
- Nearly 2,500 migrants have been deported back to Mexico since Friday, [Full Story]
- Politico: VP Harris Could Harm Biden’s Reelection Bid
- President Joe Biden’s age puts more scrutiny on Vice President Kamala [Full Story]
- McCaul: Will Pursue Contempt Charges on Blinken
- House Committee on Foreign Affairs Chair Michael McCaul said he will [Full Story]
- Biden Taps Bertagnolli to Lead Institutes of Health
- President Joe Biden will appoint Monica Bertagnolli, director of the [Full Story]
- LA Tracking Abuse of Flesh-Eating ‘Zombie’ Drug
- Los Angeles is finding the abuse of the “zombie” street drug “tranq” [Full Story] | video
- GOP Nervous About Keeping Rep. Santos’ Seat
- The news last week that Rep. George Santos, R-N.Y., was indicted on [Full Story]
- Insurance Could Be Next Credit Crunch Casualty
- While banks appear to be stabilizing thanks to the backstopping of [Full Story]
- $2M Raised for Man Charged in Subway Death
- Attorneys for a former U.S. Marine charged with manslaughter in the [Full Story]
- Mayorkas: Border Crossings Down 50 Percent Since Title 42 Lifted
- The Border Patrol has seen a 50% drop in migrant encounters at the [Full Story]
- Turkey’s Erdogan Leads, but Runoff Likely
- Voter support for President Recep Tayyip Erdogan dipped below the [Full Story]
- Social Security COLA Increase in 2024 Likely to be Smaller
- The cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) for social security recipients [Full Story] | video
- Japan: China, Russia Upping Military Collaboration
- Japanese Foreign Minister Yoshimasa Hayashi expressed concern [Full Story]
- Report: Busload of Migrants Arrives Near VP Harris’ Home
- A busload of migrants arrived near the home of Vice President Kamala [Full Story] | video
- More Newsfront
- TSA Is Testing Facial Recognition at More Airports
- A passenger walks up to an airport security checkpoint, slips an ID card into a slot and looks into a camera atop a small screen…. [Full Story]
- Judge Andrew P. Napolitano: Biden Continues Tradition of Gov’t Wasting Money It Doesn’t Have
- Fed’s Barkin Unconvinced Inflation Steadily Declining
- Musk Tells Tesla Staff He Must Approve All Hiring
- US Debt Default Would Test Fed Monetary Policy
- More Finance
- How to Build Healthy Habits That Stick
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention say that six out of 10 adults suffer from a chronic disease. The main causes are poor diet, lack of physical activity, and excessive alcohol. Making lifestyle changes can improve your overall health and long-term well-being…… [Full Story]
- A Short Nap May Boost Creativity
- How to Know if You Are Depressed
- Questions to Ask Your Doctor If Prescribed an Opioid
- Study: Suicides Peak in Spring, Early Summer
Notice: the graphic below can be expanded to a larger size.
See the instructions below the graphic below or click the image and follow the prompts.
2022 was a tough year for many stocks. Unfortunately, that pattern held true for manufactured home industry (MHVille) connected stocks too.
See the facts, linked below.
‘Stomach Churning Year’ CNN-Wall Street ‘Forget 2022’ Down Year – Major Equities Data Compared to Manufactured Housing Stocks, Manufactured Home Community REITs, Performance for Year by Company
- NOTE 1: The 3rd chart above of manufactured housing connected equities includes the Canadian stock, ECN, which purchased Triad Financial Services, a manufactured home industry finance lender.
- NOTE 2: Drew changed its name and trading symbol at the end of 2016 to Lippert (LCII).
- NOTE 3: Deer Valley was largely taken private, say company insiders in a message to MHProNews on 12.15.2020, but there are still some outstanding shares of the stock from the days when it was a publicly traded firm. Thus, there is still periodic activity on DVLY.
- Note 4: some recent or related reports to the REITs, stocks, and other equities named above follow in the reports linked below.
Sun Communities – ‘Development in Our DNA,’ ESG Stance, Q4 2022 Year End Results Earnings Call & PR – Facts, Insights Beyond PR and Official SUI Statements; plus MHVille REITs, Stocks Update
‘Undervalued’ Cavco Industries Touts Q Result$ ‘Dire Need for Housing’ ‘January Traffic Up’- Rev Up 16%-Sales, Earnings, Mgmt Call Data–Analysis Beyond CVCO Statements; plus MHVille Stocks Update
‘Killing’s as Easy as Breathing’ ‘Bad Guys Know More Games’ Warren Buffett Annual Berkshire Hathaway Letter, Clayton Homes, 21st, VMF-Manufactured Home Loans-Compelling MHVille Expert Views
Nobility Homes, Inc. Sales and Earnings for its Fiscal Year 2022 Report, Result$ Best Inflation – Net After Taxes Up 34%, More Fact$; DeSantis ESG and NOBH; plus MHVille Stocks, Market Updates
‘Manufactured Housing in the News,’ Unpacking UMH CEO Sam Landy Op-Ed’ It’s Time for Bi-Partisanship on Affordable Manufactured Housing Homeownership’ in HousingWire; plus MHMarkets Updates
Manufactured Housing Properties-Results for Three and Nine Months Ending September 30.2022–Exploring ‘Mobile Home Park’ Manufactured Home Community Investing; plus MHVille REITs, Stocks Update
‘Changes Will Benefit Customers,’ Boost Sales-Legacy Homes CEO Duncan Bates – LEGH ‘Delivered 22.5% Return on Equity in 1 Yr’ – Corp Q3 2022 Insights, Analysis; plus MHVille REITs, Stocks Update
CEO Mark Yost, Skyline Champion Insiders SELL Million$ Value SKY Stock, Home Sales Drop-4th Q 2022 (3QFiscal2023), Official Result$-Facts, Analysis, Info Beyond PR; plus MHVille Stocks Update
Triad Financial Services Q2-2022 FINANCIAL RESULTS, per ECN Capital – Several Bright Spots in Manufactured Home Market Highlighted, Including Communities, Retail, Land-Home, Floor; MHStocks Update
BlackRock Document Exposes Central Banks like Federal Reserve on Recession; Manufactured Home Producer Cavco Industries 2022 Year End Results (CVCOQ3.23) Facts+Analysis; plus MHVille Stocks Update
Manufactured Home Communities (a.k.a. ‘Mobile Home Parks’ – SIC) – Exploring UMH Properties; Fellow Manufactured Housing Institute Member Yes! Communities Suits and Settlements; plus MH Markets Updates
2023 …Berkshire Hathaway is the parent company to Clayton Homes, 21st Mortgage, Vanderbilt Mortgage and other factory-built housing industry suppliers.
· LCI Industries, Patrick, UFPI, and LP each are suppliers to the manufactured housing industry, among others.
· AMG, CG, and TAVFX have investments in manufactured housing related businesses. For insights from third-parties and clients about our publisher, click here.
Disclosure. MHProNews holds no positions in the stocks in this report.
· For expert manufactured housing business development or other professional services, click here.
· To sign up in seconds for our industry leading emailed headline news updates, click here.
- Manufactured housing, production, factories, retail, dealers, manufactured home, communities, passive mobile home park investing, suppliers, brokers, finance, financial services, macro-markets, manufactured housing stocks, Manufactured Home Communities Real Estate Investment Trusts, MHC REITs.
That’s a wrap on this installment of “News Through the Lens of Manufactured Homes and Factory-Built Housing” © where “We Provide, You Decide.” © (Affordable housing, manufactured homes, stock, investing, data, metrics, reports, fact-checks, analysis, and commentary. Third-party images or content are provided under fair use guidelines for media.) (See Related Reports, further below. Text/image boxes often are hot-linked to other reports that can be access by clicking on them.)
By L.A. “Tony” Kovach – for MHProNews.
Tony earned a journalism scholarship along with numerous awards in history. There have been several awards and honors and also recognition in manufactured housing. For example, he earned the prestigious Lottinville Award in history from the University of Oklahoma, where he studied history and business management. He’s a managing member and co-founder of LifeStyle Factory Homes, LLC, the parent company to MHProNews, and MHLivingNews.com. This article reflects the LLC’s and/or the writer’s position and may or may not reflect the views of sponsors or supporters.
Anar Pitre-CEO Lotus Capital Partners-Vexing Manufactured Housing Institute Claims in Fact Check of Forbes ‘What Manufactured Home Communities Investors Need to Know’ – Inaccurate MHI Data Shown
Call for Congressional Oversight Hearings of Manufactured Home Industry Regulators Highlighted by Manufactured Housing Association for Regulatory Reform (MHARR); plus MHVille Markets Update
Official HUD Manufactured Housing Production Facts for Dec 2022 plus 2022 Year End Totals Explored by Manufactured Housing Association for Regulatory Reform (MHARR)-“Millions” Needed – Analysis
Facts You Didn’t Know – Martin Luther King Jr – Videos, Insightful Quotes, Surprising Revelations, Videos, Reports, and Illustrations in Champion for Human Rights Including Affordable Housing
‘Global Disinformation Index’ Warren Buffett Ally Bill Gates’ Microsoft Org Charged-Cutting Revenue to Conservative Views via Xandr, GDI; plus Sunday MHVille Headlines Recap
#1 Texas’ Manufactured Housing Builders Survey Says They are ‘Ready for a Rebound’ But Data Point in Question, DOE MH Energy Rule Too – Facts, Analysis; plus, MHVille Stocks, Markets Update
Clayton-Next Step Off-Site Built ‘White Paper’-Manufactured Homes, ThinkND ‘Magic of the Mind-Everyday Illusion, Misdirection, Deception’ MHI Members’ Claims Analyzed; plus MHVille Markets Update
After Admitted Failure, Manufactured Housing Institute Doubles Down on CrossMods® in AP Terminology Doc Acquired by MHProNews–Are MHI Leaders Sabotaging MHVille Independents? Plus MHStocks Update
Concessions by Speaker Kevin McCarthy in House Speaker’s Battle Called ‘Most Significant Win for Conservatives in a Decade’ By Federalist’s Emily Jashinsky Report; plus MHVille Stocks Updates
Manufactured Housing Institute Claims ‘Effective Branding’ for ‘Manufactured Housing’-Seriously? Target Rich Satirical Saturday Examines MHI Claims, Messaging, RESULT$; plus MHVille Stocks Update