As interest rates have risen and conventional housing costs have soared in 2022, sales have slowed to the point that the National Association of Realtors Chief Economist Lawrence Yun said that the U.S. is now in a housing recession. Moody’s Analytics Chief Economist Mark Zandi said that housing is overvalued in dozens of markets. The American Enterprise Institute AEI Housing Center has also produced reams of data and graphics on the topic of housing trends. They said that appreciation may go negative in several markets in September, based on the current data. All of that and more are linked below. Despite those proclaimed conventional housing headwinds, HUD Code manufactured homes have continued to rise in through the inflationary, labor, and supply chain hurdles sparked to a significant degree by Washington spending and poor economic, domestic, and foreign policy choices in 2022. While the Senate is thought to be up for grabs, House Democrats are widely expected to lose numbers of seats in the rapidly approaching 2022 midterms. Because housing, food, fuel, and other costs are outstripping wage gains, millions of Americans are worse off than they were in Biden’s America than they were under President Donald J. Trump’s term in office.
Against that backdrop are the following state-by-state statistics gathered for the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) by IBTS.
|Institute for Building Technology & Safety|
|Shipments and Production Summary Report 06/01/2022 – 06/30/2022|
|District of Columbia||0||0||0||0|
|THE ABOVE STATISTICS ARE PROVIDED AS A MONTHLY|
|SUBSCRIPTION SERVICE. REPRODUCTION IN PART OR|
|IN TOTAL MUST CARRY AN ATTRIBUTION TO IBTS, INC.|
|*District of Columbia||0||0||0||0|
|(*) THESE STATES HAVE FEWER THAN THREE PLANTS.|
|FIGURES ARE AGGREGATED ON FIRST LINE ABOVE|
|TOTALS TO PROTECT PROPRIETARY INFORMATION.|
|Ashok K Goswami, PE, COO, 45207 Research Place, Ashburn, VA|
The analysis for the data that follows from the Manufactured Housing Association for Regulatory Reform (MHARR) is found at this link below. The text of their previously published data is provided after that link, for the ease of our readers.
HUD CODE PRODUCTION INCREASES IN JUNE 2022
Washington, D.C., August 3, 2022 – The Manufactured Housing Association for Regulatory Reform (MHARR) reports that according to official statistics compiled on behalf of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), HUD Code manufactured housing industry year-over-year production increased in June 2022. Just-released statistics indicate that HUD Code manufacturers produced 11,373 homes in June 2022, a 20.6% increase over the 9,430 new HUD Code homes produced during June 2021. Cumulative production for 2022 now totals 61,659 homes, a 14.6% increase over the 53,759 homes produced during the same period in 2021.
A further analysis of the official industry statistics shows that the top ten shipment states from the beginning of the industry production rebound in August 2011 through June 2022 — with cumulative, monthly, current year (2022) and prior year (2021) shipments per category as indicated — are:
The June 2022 data results in no changes to the cumulative top-ten shipment list.
The Manufactured Housing Association for Regulatory Reform is a Washington, D.C.-based national trade association representing the views and interests of independent producers of federally-regulated manufactured housing.
— 30 —
Additional Information with More Facts, Forecasts, and MHProNews Analysis
There are association- and university-connected voices in MHVille that have said that retail traffic in #1 Texas has slowed, and that production has too.
Be that claim as it may, there are seemingly conflicting claims by HUD Code manufactured home builders that are publicly traded. Those HUD Code builders, similar to the Texas Manufactured Housing Association (TMHA), each happen to be members of the Manufactured Housing Institute (MHI). Those builders have said that while retail has dipped, that the ‘slack’ at the plant level has been taken up by manufactured home land-lease community operators. Those manufactured home community (MHC) portfolio operators often buy homes in bulk, which are routinely used for rental purposes, although some modest numbers of those homes are sold.
What the data strongly suggests is a historic truth about manufactured housing. Manufactured housing is in its purest form is recession resistant. For decades, when conventional housing slowed it was not uncommon that manufactured homes continued to plod ahead, even rising in the face of higher financing rates or other increased housing cost hurdles. Inherent affordability is a key benefit of manufactured homes.
But in the 21st century, some of those benefits have been downplayed, squandered, sidelined or have been otherwise lost. Outside researchers looking into the evidence have blamed monopolization powers and ‘sabotaging monopoly’ tactics for the troubling trends.
No one could be as incompetent at advancing and protecting the causes of the industry, all while posturing being the industry’s guardian. The case can be made that MHI is the proverbial fox ‘guarding’ the hen house. But then, some tend to forget that Lesli Gooch was exposed by a whistleblower as getting compensation from a non-manufactured home housing operation, all while apparently posturing efforts ‘on behalf’ of the industry. Who benefits from this pattern? Consolidators. Why is this pattern tolerated? Apparently because the dominating brands at MHI are consolidators. Why else is this tolerated? Because retailers ‘need’ 21st Mortgage Corporation, and so do selling communities, or so they believe.
Meanwhile, which MHI claims to represent “all segments” of the manufactured home industry has demonstrably resisted doing some of the most common sense steps necessary to foster the industry’s growth. Good federal laws exist that MHI has admitted in writing are not being enforced. What MHI has repeatedly failed to do is answer the question: why hasn’t MHI sued to get those laws enforced?
Time routinely reveals through behavior the truth of a person or organization’s true stance.
Cui bono? Who benefits from this pattern? In a word? Consolidators.
While manufactured housing continues to underperform during an affordable housing crisis, the industry continues to consolidate. This is a matter that has oddly been largely ignored by most media, including several so-called trade media and bloggers in MHVille. Apparently, they do not want to step on big toes which are attached to deep pockets.
All that said, MHProNews and our MHLivingNews sister site will continue to shine a light on such facts. At some point, public officials may sit up, taken notice, and act to enforce the various laws that can break up the ‘big con’ involving MHI, but which apparently traces its behaviors back to the corporate powers that be behind the MHI veil. For those with a sense of objective reality, it is hard to avoid the conclusion that MHI is taking steps, or not taking them (as the case may be) in a manner that consistently causes the industry to underperform in the Berkshire era of manufactured housing. The forecast? More of the same, until some force prompts serious systemic change.
NOTICE: Our manufactured housing REITs and manufactured home equities graphic for 8.29.2022 is found further below. However, the two broader market snapshot summary graphics failed last night. MHProNews regrets the inconvenience.
Next up is our daily business news recap of yesterday evening’s market report, related left-right headlines, and manufactured housing connected equities.
The Business Daily Manufactured Home Industry Connected Stock Market Updates. Plus, Market Moving Left leaning CNN and Right-leaning (Newsmax) Headlines Snapshot. While the layout of this daily business report has been evolving over time, several elements of the basic concepts used previously are still the same. For instance. The headlines that follow below can be reviewed at a glance to save time while providing insights across the left-right media divide. Additionally, those headlines often provide clues as to possible ‘market-moving’ news items.
Market Indicator Closing Summaries – Yahoo Finance Closing Tickers on MHProNews…
Headlines from left-of-center CNN Business – from the evening of 8.29.2022
- China’s bank scandal
- Over 3,000 Chinese demonstrators hold banners during a rare mass protest over the freezing of deposits by rural-based banks, outside a People’s Bank of China building in Zhengzhou, Henan province, China July 10, 2022. Hit hard by the country’s economic slowdown, four banks in Henan province have since mid-April frozen all cash withdrawals, leaving thousands of small savers without funds and sparking sporadic demonstrations. The group was later dispersed. Several people were detained.
- Police arrests hundreds in crisis that led to customers’ lost savings
- Honda and LG announce $4.4 billion US battery factory for EVs
- China arrests hundreds in rural banking scandal
- Analysis: Why Wall Street is stumbling after Powell’s Jackson Hole speech
- Losses. Plunging share prices. These pandemic winners are struggling
- Stocks may fall even further. Here’s how to protect your portfolio
- European power prices shatter records as energy crisis intensifies
- It now costs more than $300,000 to raise a child, thanks to inflation
- China shuts world’s largest electronics market as Shenzhen imposes more lockdowns
- Wireless carriers keep your location data for years and provide it to the police
- Twitter was questioned by SEC over bots, user numbers in June
- Musk’s legal team to depose whistleblower Peiter Zatko in Twitter case
- New vest could help pave the way for a woman to walk on the moon
- DeLorean’s new car looks nothing like the one you remember. Here’s why
- Indian billionaire Gautam Adani is now the world’s third richest man
- Madam C.J. Walker, America’s first female self-made millionaire, is now a Barbie
- A company that operates thousands of crypto ATMs plans to go public
- A beginner’s guide to crypto lingo
- Lose big on crypto? Here’s how to reduce the sting
- This crypto collapse has a human cost
- Report: $1.9 billion stolen in crypto hacks so far this year
- Corsage flowers.
- Inflation is crushing wedding budgets and guests are getting cut
- Economics professor decodes Fed chair’s comments
- Why prices keep going up and who’s to blame
- Inflation is changing how products are packaged
- Last year’s backpack: Tapped out families are struggling to pay for back to school purchases
Headlines from right-of-center Newsmax 8.29.2022
- Dershowitz to Newsmax: DOJ ‘Can’t Be Trusted’ on Review of Mar-a-Lago Files
- The Department of Justice HQ in Washington, D.C., earlier this week, left, and heavily redacted documents underlying the search at Mar-a-Lago. (AP)
- Raid on Trump’s Mar-a-Lago
- Guilfoyle: If DOJ Could Get Trump ‘You Would’ve Heard About It’ | video
- Dick Morris to Newsmax: Dems ‘Out to Get’ Trump ‘Any Way Possible’ | video
- Dershowitz to Newsmax: DOJ ‘Can’t Be Trusted’ to Look Over Mar-a-Lago Files | video
- DOJ: Some Seized Docs Covered by Attorney-Client Privilege
- Kash Patel: Affidavit Redacted to Hide DOJ’s Corruption | video
- Manafort to Newsmax: Trump Raid a ‘Very Political Fishing Expedition’ | video
- Graham Warns of Riots If Trump Prosecuted After Raid
- Trump Blasts FBI, DOJ ‘Election Interference’
- More Raid on Trump’s Mar-a-Lago
- Newsmax TV
- Brian Mast: Biden Put ‘Head in the Sand’ on Afghanistan | video
- Navarro: FBI Waging Coup on Trump for Six Years | video
- Lt. Gov.: We’re Well Run; N.Y. Is ‘Run Into the Ground’ | video
- Dusty Johnson: Bill Stops China’s Farmland Purchases | video
- Brian Andersson: N.Y. Pot Dispensary Plan Perplexes | video
- Ernst: Mainstream Media Wants Dem Senate Win | video
- Michael Waltz: FBI ‘Public Confidence Is Shot’ | video
- Pete Sessions: Making Everything Free No Way to Go | video
- More Newsmax TV
- Ukraine Launches Offensive to Retake Kherson
- International Atomic Energy Agency chief Rafael Grossi said on Monday he was en route to inspect Ukraine’s Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant, as Kyiv’s forces launched a counter-offensive to retake the Russian-occupied southern region of Kherson.The coastal region of Kherson and…… [Full Story]
- Secret Service Official Central to Jan. 6 Hearing Retires
- Tony Ornato, the Secret Service’s assistant director who became a [Full Story]
- UK: Putin Sidelines Defense Minister Over Stalled Invasion
- K. military intelligence reported on Monday that Russian President [Full Story]
- Biden’s 2024 Strength: ‘Weak Democratic Bench to Replace Him’
- After a string of Democrat legislative victories and a slight cooling [Full Story] | Platinum Article
- Chris Rock Rejects Oscar Host Encore Invite
- Comedian Chris Rock told audience members during his comedy show in [Full Story]
- Trump Had Constitutional Power to Declassify Documents, Experts Say
- Former President Donald Trump has repeatedly asserted that any [Full Story] | Platinum Article
- Report: Pentagon Worried Ukraine Aid Might Deplete US Munitions
- American ammunition stocks are running low for Ukraine in its war [Full Story]
- Trump Urges You to Read ‘The Return’: ‘Fantastic Analysis’
- Former President Donald Trump is urging Americans to read “The [Full Story]
- Antifa Packing AR-15s Guards ‘Family Friendly’ Texas Drag Show
- Armed antifa members guarded a drag show targeting families in [Full Story]
- Iran Sends Shipment of War Drones to Russia for War Effort in Ukraine
- Russian cargo planes have quietly, according to The Washington Post, [Full Story]
- Biden Plans to Ask Congress to Approve $1.1B Arms Sale to Taiwan: Politico
- The Biden administration plans to ask the U.S. Congress to approve an [Full Story]
- GOP’s Expected Midterm ‘Red Wave’ in Danger of Becoming ‘Red Ripple’
- With President Joe Biden’s popularity at historic lows and inflation [Full Story] | Platinum Article
- McConnell: Oz Has a ‘Great Shot’ at Winning Pennsylvania Senate Race
- Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., on Monday praised the [Full Story]
- Video Report: Pope Francis Fuels Resignation Rumors
- Newsmax Rome Correspondent Alex Salvi reports from Vatican city with [Full Story] | video
- Supreme Court Leak, D.C. Pipe Bomb Mysteries Drop Off Radar
- As the establishment media is dominated by speculation about the [Full Story] | Platinum Article
- Media Watchdog Criticizes NYT for Working with Pro-Hitler, Hamas Freelancers
- The New York Times is taking some heat from a Jewish media watchdog [Full Story]
- Police: Heroic Safeway Employee Confronted Gunman in Store
- An employee who was killed in a shooting at a Safeway supermarket in [Full Story]
- Supreme Court’s Sotomayor Keeps New York City COVID Vaccine Mandate
- Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor on Monday declined to block New [Full Story]
- Trump: Declare ‘Rightful Winner’ or ‘New Election’ Over FBI Meddling
- Former President Donald Trump is taking his case against FBI [Full Story]
- Biden to Deliver Prime-Time Speech on ‘Battle’ for Democracy
- President Joe Biden will deliver a prime-time address “on the [Full Story]
- Report: Top FBI Official Exits Amid Political Bias Charges
- A senior FBI agent under scrutiny for alleged political bias during [Full Story]
- Wall Street Closes Lower, Adding to Last Week’s Losses
- Stocks closed lower on Wall Street, adding to their recent losses as [Full Story]
- House GOP Pushing Pelosi to Reject Biden’s Student Loan Plan
- House Republicans are demanding that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi stand [Full Story]
- PAC Supporters of DeSantis’ 2024 Prospects Slam FEC’s Petition Inaction
- The “Ready for Ron” political action committee supporting Florida GOP [Full Story]
- Bankrupt Infowars Parent to Face 2nd Sandy Hook Trial
- The parent company of far-right website Infowars agreed on Monday to [Full Story]
- Trafalgar Poll: Margins in Arizona Razor-Thin For Masters, Lake
- Another key battleground state is shaping up to be hotter than the [Full Story]
- D-Day ‘Theme Park’ in France Stirs Controversy
- Plans for a new D-Day attraction near the beaches at Normandy have [Full Story]
- Rubio Slams Chip Deal for Involving Firm With China Ties
- Republican Senator Marco Rubio took aim on Monday at U.S. regulatory [Full Story]
- Georgia Judge Delays Gov. Kemp Testimony in Trump Interference Case
- A judge on Monday denied a motion from Georgia Gov. Brian Kempto [Full Story]
- GOP Sen. Ted Cruz: Trump ‘Just Broke’ Liz Cheney
- Ted Cruz, R-Texas, said former President Donald Trump simply [Full Story] | video
- Graham Warns of Riots If Trump Prosecuted After Raid
- Lindsey Graham, R-S.C.,warned that there will be”riots in the [Full Story]
- Diabetics: One Simple Method to Keep Your Blood Sugar Below 100
- Diabetes Freedom
- More Newsfront
- Report: Slight Decrease in Americans Living Paycheck to Paycheck
- More than half of Americans are currently living paycheck to paycheck, according to a new report from LendingClub that found a slight increase from last year. The report found that 59% of Americans were living paycheck to paycheck in July, a slight decrease from 61% in June…. [Full Story]
- Student Loan Relief Limited for Many by US Drug War’s Legacy
- Traders See Volatility Lingering as Fear Gauge Climbs
- Tesla Ordered to Let Workers Wear Union Clothing
- J. Man Gets 3 Yrs in Tom Brady Super Bowl Ring Fraud
- More Finance
- Government Will Stop Free Distribution of COVID Home Tests
- The government will end its program of free COVID-19 at-home tests Friday because of insufficient congressional funding, a senior Biden administration official said Sunday, NBC News reported…. [Full Story]
- Stroke Risk Doubles in the Hour After Just One Drink
- Heart Failure Risk Increases 11 Percent for Every Extra Inch You Pinch on Your Waistline
- Combination Pill Lowers Risk of Dying from Second Heart Attack by 33 Percent
- US Govt to Provide $11 Million for Production of Monkeypox Vaccine
MHProNews has pioneered in our profession several reporting elements that keep our regular and attentive readers as arguably the best informed in the manufactured housing industry. Among the items shared after ‘every business day’ (when markets are open) is our left-right headline recap summary. At a glance in two to three minutes, key ‘market moving’ news items are covered from left-of-center CNN Business and right-of-center Newsmax. “We Provide, You Decide.” © Additionally, MHProNews provides expert commentary and analysis on the issues that others can’t or won’t cover that help explain why manufactured housing has been underperforming during the Berkshire era while an affordable housing crisis and hundreds of thousands of homeless in America rages on. These are “Industry News, Tips, and Views Pros Can Use” © features and others made and kept us the runaway #1 in manufactured housing trade publisher for a dozen years and counting.
Manufactured Housing Industry Investments Connected Equities Closing Tickers
Some of these firms invest in manufactured housing, or are otherwise connected, but may do other forms of investing or business activities too.
- NOTE: The chart below includes the Canadian stock, ECN, which purchased Triad Financial Services, a manufactured home industry lender
- NOTE: Drew changed its name and trading symbol at the end of 2016 to Lippert (LCII).
- NOTE: Deer Valley was largely taken private, say company insiders in a message to MHProNews on 12.15.2020, but there are still some outstanding shares of the stock from the days when it was a publicly traded firm. Thus, there is still periodic activity on DVLY.
Manufactured Home Communities (a.k.a. ‘Mobile Home Parks’ – SIC) – Exploring UMH Properties; Fellow Manufactured Housing Institute Member Yes! Communities Suits and Settlements; plus MH Markets Updates
MHProNews. MHProNews – previously a.k.a. MHMSM.com – has celebrated our 11th year of publishing and have completed over a dozen years of serving the industry as the runaway most-read trade media.
Sample Kudos over the years…
It is now 12+ years and counting…
Learn more about our evolutionary journey as the industry’s leading trade media, at the report linked below.
· For expert manufactured housing business development or other professional services, click here.
· To sign up in seconds for our industry leading emailed headline news updates, click here.
Disclosure. MHProNews holds no positions in the stocks in this report.
That’s a wrap on this installment of “News Through the Lens of Manufactured Homes and Factory-Built Housing” © where “We Provide, You Decide.” © (Affordable housing, manufactured homes, stock, investing, data, metrics, reports, fact-checks, analysis, and commentary. Third-party images or content are provided under fair use guidelines for media.) (See Related Reports, further below. Text/image boxes often are hot-linked to other reports that can be access by clicking on them.)
By L.A. “Tony” Kovach – for MHProNews.
Tony earned a journalism scholarship along with numerous awards in history. There have been several awards and honors and also recognition in manufactured housing. For example, he earned the prestigious Lottinville Award in history from the University of Oklahoma, where he studied history and business management. He’s a managing member and co-founder of LifeStyle Factory Homes, LLC, the parent company to MHProNews, and MHLivingNews.com. This article reflects the LLC’s and/or the writer’s position and may or may not reflect the views of sponsors or supporters.