The story of Aaliyah was first published in the Sun, but WND, the New York Post and others in media have since highlighted it. MHProNews is providing three of her TikTok videos, a few pull quotes from the NY Post, and the WND introduction before pivoting to lessons that could – or should – be learned from her. Indeed, her tale appears to be one that fits with another that will be exclusively provided further below. This troubling story is playing out in different ways 100s of thousands of times every day in the U.S.A.
Per the WND NewsCenter to MHProNews is the following.
Woman works full-time at Home Depot but is homeless, living in car
‘But I’m still here to make money so I can eat and even get a hotel sometimes’
By WND News Services
Published January 31, 2022 at 9:30pm
(THE SUN) — A woman has revealed that despite the fact she works full-time, she is homeless and forced to live in her car.
Taking to TikTok, user Aaliyah, 22, shared her story, confessing that she showers at the gym and brushes her teeth at work.
Captioning her video, she wrote: “When you gotta work an 8hr shift 5 days a week and ppl don’t even know you sleep in a car, you do your hair in the car or in a place that opens early so you can brush your teeth, take showers at Planet Fitness and wonder why you’re always so tired and barely smile.
The New York Post reported: “However, Aaliyah, who works at Home Depot, was targeted by trolls who claimed she was “faking homelessness” for attention.
She shared a follow-up video, revealing all of her worldly belongings stored in her car, captioning it: “I’m running off 2hrs of sleep literally, I wish it was a f—ing lie.”
The Post quoted TikTok user Aaliyah saying:
- “With everybody’s support they reached out and gave me emergency funding to get a hotel for some time.
- “Hopefully I’ll get permanent housing.”
The original and two related videos follow. Note: adult language alert.
@oc.liyahh I’m beyond GRATEFUL 💯 #fypシ #homerfund ♬ HOL UP WAIT A MINUTE – Bydney
The young woman wants permeant and obviously affordable housing. Meaning, this auto-dwelling homeless young adult is the troubling but apparently true story of what a lack of affordable housing is causing people of all ages and a range of ethnic backgrounds to endure. From children to the elderly, there are some 600,000 homeless in America, per recent estimates.
Additional Information, More MHProNews Analysis and Commentary
MHProNews and MHLivingNews has been reporting for several years about the spread of homelessness in various forms. Some of those reports are available via the links below.
These are symptoms of a broader problem. As noted, that problem is the lack of affordable housing. The most proven solution for affordable housing in American history is HUD Code manufactured housing. As Minnesota lawmakers and researchers, among others have stated, manufactured homes are less costly to build, less costly to update, and are thus more affordable in a variety of ways. See their data in the report linked below.
If Samuel Strommen from Knudson Law and others who have pointedly laid out evidence accusing various brands involved in manufactured housing and the Manufactured Housing Institute of “felony” antitrust and RICO violations are correct, then what Aaliyah’s story reveals is that manipulation of the housing market is not a victimless crime.
It may be a coincidence, but 2 days after MHProNews contacted Kristina Smallhorn, “Your Real Estate Whisperer,” the following video was produced. Smallhorn ripped RHP Properties and Brookfield Asset Management (BAM).
MHProNews would agree with several aspects of her latest video report, while taking issue with a few points. She was provided with links to reports that could yield several videos. That said, her video as it stands is encouraging people to avoid “manufactured home park” living if it is avoidable. That certainly is not MHLivingNews’ or MHProNews’ position. Our advice to home shoppers is nuanced – to avoid brands that have exhibited problematic or “predatory” behavior. Work with companies that have a good reputation, avoid companies that have a problematic public repute. Additionally, just because a brand has been given an ‘award’ by a manufactured housing trade group should not automatically mean that a consumer can therefor trust that company as being ‘white hat.’ There are a range of firms that sadly, but apparently, have been ripped by public officials, their own residents, and others in media for problematic if not illegal behavior. A partial list of some examples of that is found in the report below. These are reasons for consumers and others to investigate brands that may tout their award(s), but are nevertheless involved in reportedly troubling, if not illegal, business practices.
That noted, Smallhorn takes on Dave Ramsey, and highlighted several positive items that were provided to her. Her video merits consideration.
Smallhorn is an example of how a case can be made that precisely because the powers that be in manufactured housing have apparently failed in their own stated aims and promises, they have opened the door to a range of inputs from outsiders who are doing more than manufactured home reporting.
In the manufactured home market, there is a prima facie case to be made that MHProNews and our MHLivingNews sister sites are the one-two combination that provides evidence-based reporting with objective, rationale, and fact base analysis that is clearly labeled as such. It may not be easy holding corporate giants and their association and publishing mouthpieces to account, but it is the only way that the truth can emerge from an otherwise muddled picture.
Try this as a piece of evidence-based logic and analysis. Manufactured housing will not achieve its potential until either MHI makes a serious pivot toward doing their self-proclaimed jobs of working for “all segments” of the industry properly, or until the industry supplants them with a post-production trade group that authentically does what MHI claims but fails to deliver.
It is now February 3rd, 2022. The year-end data for manufactured housing is found in the report linked below.
There are real impacts caused by the failure of the manufactured home industry’s self-proclaimed leaders to achieve manufactured housing’s historic potential. That 22-year-old Aaliyah is one of some 600,000 homeless in the U.S. For instance.
- The New York Post pointed on 4.2020 to the Joint Center for Housing Studies of Harvard University calculates that 10.9 million renters spent more than 50 percent of” their income on housing.
- Business Insider and Yahoo News said on 12.15.2021 that “Most American homeowners are ‘house poor’ — and 40% of them have taken second jobs to afford a mortgage, survey says”
That same report cited in the second bullet above said:
- A new survey shows that nearly half of homeowners with mortgages have gotten second full-time jobs.
- Homeowners say that owning a home is preferable to renting one, even as they struggle to keep up with costs.
- A vast majority of millennial homeowners said they have negligible savings after paying housing expenses.
As troubling as that data is, it also is a massive opportunity in disguise. Millions of new housing units are needed. Estimates range from 4 to 8+ million new housing units are required to meet the current demand in the U.S. Then, there is future population growth, plus the replacement of aged or otherwise problematic housing units of all types that must be built.
Manufactured housing has the federal laws needed to make affordable living a reality. It is illogical for MHI and their dominating brands to be promoting any new legislation when they admit that they have not yet been successful in getting the Manufactured Housing Improvement Act of 2000 (MHIA), particularly its enhanced preemption provision, enforced.
It is illogical for MHI to press for new initiatives when they have been unsuccessful at getting the Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008 (HERA) and its Duty to Serve (DTS) manufactured housing provision enforced.
There are Manufactured Housing Executives Committee (MHEC) members who quietly agree with the evidence that MHProNews and our MHLivingNews sister site has advanced that explains why manufactured housing has underperformed during an affordable housing crisis. Indeed, some MHEC members have provided MHProNews/MHLivingNews with tips and insights that have proven to be quite accurate and useful. While the precise source of the documents provided in the report linked below is not known at this time, it is reasonable to think that it could be a MHEC member who unearthed it and sent it by U.S. Mail anonymously to MHProNews. That is one of several possible examples of tips with evidence that point to problematic behavior involving MHI.
MHProNews receives numbers of messages daily, from those who cheer, jeer, or may share some tip or agenda. Not every tip is reported, if there is no or insufficient evidence. Not every message gets a reply, but a persistent outreach or one followed by a phone call usually gets a better shot.
It is worth mentioning that on red-hot topics like the SEC suit vs. Cavco Industries, a former Skyline executive and former Cavco execs, we had a tip weeks in advance of the formal release of that case pleadings by the government that turned out to be accurate. Why didn’t we publish it in advance of the actual lawsuit’s announcement by the SEC? Because there was no verification of the claims, and no easy way to verify it prior to the announcement. Tips with evidence get priority. Tips without evidence are not necessarily forgotten, as evidence may emerge later on that supports an initial claim. In other words, we strive to operate much like the standards that the Society for Professional Journalists (SPJ) Code of Ethical Conduct describes, even if others in media may or may not do so themselves.
Smallhorn is imperfect, as are others (including ourselves). But she is arguably doing the industry some favors that MHI is seemingly failing to do themselves. Smallhorn’s videos get far more views than the known ones produced by MHI. That speaks for itself in terms of audience engagement.
Isn’t it ridiculous for MHI to claim that they are promoting the industry with their Facebook posts or occasion videos, when Smallhorn or others are getting more views and MHLivingNews/MHProNews get more readers than MHI does?
It was an MHI affiliate and MHEC member that aptly told MHProNews the following.
It was an MHI affiliate and MHEC member that said that a good association focuses on 3 tasks that are summed up in the acronym P.E.P. = Protect. Educate. Promote.
Another MHEC member told MHProNews that there must be a “Balance between protection and cost.”
He said that MHI could hammer away daily at simple messages such as “Today’s modern and affordable manufactured housing.”
That same source argued that the Clayton-backed and MHI branded CrossModTM homes plan should be abandoned as it never made sense. That ‘new class of manufactured homes’ later rebranded as CrossMods have been a market failure. It has never lived up to the MHI hype and can be improperly perceived as diminishing mainstream and affordable manufactured homes.
For whatever reason, not even the Manufactured Housing Association for Regulatory Reform (MHARR) is known to have recently raised the question of why MHI has never released their closed-door meeting minutes with the GSEs, after which what became the “new class of manufactured homes” later dubbed CrossMods emerged. But perhaps MHARR will raise that topic again in their upcoming White Paper. Time will tell.
Avoidable Tragedies, Choosing Honorable Profits vs. Costly Human and Financial Losses – Homelessness Facts, Trends, Ties to Lack of Affordable Housing, Manufactured Homes; plus Manufactured Housing Markets Update
The facts matter. The evidence matters. Common sense needs to be applied to the facts and evidence. When it is, a strong case emerges that MHI has been posturing and slow walking the proper implementation of existing laws. Why? Because that slow walk has yielded industry underperformance, which in turn yields a barrier for entry, persistence, and exit. Underperformance of manufactured housing thus yields consolidation.
As the report linked above explores, based on their own statements, that consolidation happens to benefit a few larger MHI members at the apparent expense of most other in our profession.
If MHI disagrees with the evidence and analysis, why don’t they publicly respond?
They used to do so even early into our investigations into claims of wrongdoing by key MHI staffers such as Richard “Dick” Jennison and Lesli Gooch. But in fairness to MHI staff, they are obviously doing what their board allows and/or instructs. That said, the MHI board has legal obligations. Can they look at what the law and various legal opinions and honestly say that they are living up to those fiduciary obligations to all members?
The apparently growing number of legal cases that often seem to involve MHI brands may be signaling an end to the nod-and-a-wink, razzle dazzle, head fake behaviors. At some point, if MHI and their dominating brands want to do right, it should be swift. Because the numbers of voices on the outside looking in are growing, not dwindling.
Aaliyah may be for a time the face of rising homelessness in America. If Strommen and others are correct in claiming that felony crimes are at play in manufactured housing, then those hundreds of thousands of homeless, and millions of at-risk renters and homeowners are among their victims. So too are those independent companies who want to provide the best possible affordable housing option to as many Americans as possible, but who have to struggle to do so for the reasons the evidence and related analysis in the reports linked below reveal.
Next up is our business daily recap of yesterday evening’s market report, related left-right headlines, and manufactured housing connected equities.
The Business Daily Manufactured Home Industry Connected Stock Market Updates. Plus, Market Moving Left (CNN) – Right (Newsmax) Headlines Snapshot. While the layout of this daily business report has been evolving over time, several elements of the basic concepts used previously are still the same. For instance. The headlines that follow below can be reviewed at a glance to save time while providing insights across the left-right media divide. Additionally, those headlines often provide clues as to possible ‘market-moving’ news items.
Market Indicator Closing Summaries – Yahoo Finance Closing Tickers on MHProNews…
Headlines from left-of-center CNN Business – from the evening of 2.2.2022
- A warning
- Shoppers in the Flatiron District in New York on Monday, December 13, 2021.
- PayPal warns that consumer spending is about to fall sharply due to a lack of stimulus
- Natural gas spikes 16% ahead of winter storm
- Google just made its stock much more affordable
- America lost 301,000 jobs in January according to this key measure
- Wall Street’s top CEOs each took home nearly $35 million last year
- Thousands of flights canceled as massive winter storm tears across the US
- These GameStop traders struck gold and quit their day jobs. Then came the hard part.
- Plane forced to abort shaky landing seconds after wheels touch ground
- Starbucks is planning even more price hikes this year
- Exclusive: Wendy’s unveils its first new breakfast item in two years
- The restaurant business will never really recover from Covid
- 3G networks are shutting down, and there’s a scramble to get users to upgrade
- Teen’s Tesla hack shows how vulnerable third-party apps may make cars
- ABC News suspends ‘The View’ host Whoopi Goldberg
- Jeff Zucker at the second 2020 Democratic Party Presidential Debate in Detroit, on July 30, 2019.
- CNN boss Jeff Zucker resigns over his relationship with a colleague
- A Park City Lodging property in Park City, Utah.
- It’s peak ski season in Utah but droves of employees are sick. This is the result
- In this photo provided by the New York Stock Exchange, trader Aaron Ford works on the floor, Wednesday, Jan. 26, 2022. An early market rally on Wall Street gave way to a broad slide for stocks and a surge in bond yields Wednesday after the Federal Reserve signaled it plans to begin raising interest rates “soon” to fight a spike in inflation that the central bank says is probably getting worse.
- Interest rates are rising. Here’s what to do if you’re investing in bonds
- The logo of the crypto currency Diem (formerly Libra) is displayed on a smartphone on December 08, 2020 in Berlin, Germany.
- Facebook’s dream of creating its own global cryptocurrency comes to an end
- India wants to launch a digital rupee, tax crypto profits
- Twitter is rolling out verified NFT profile pictures
- Crypto: The future of money or the biggest scam?
- North Korean hackers said to have stolen nearly $400 million in cryptocurrency last year
- CLIMATE CHANGE
- HUAIBEI, CHINA – JANUARY 12: A worker shovels coal onto a freight train at a coal mine of Huaibei Coal Mine Inc. on January 12, 2022 in Huaibei, Anhui Province of China.
- China mined a record amount of coal in 2021. It might produce more in 2022
- Here’s another thing keeping prices high: Climate change
- This is how much the climate crisis cost in 2021
- Climate change is coming for our coffee
- What CEOs are really saying when they lash out against ‘woke’ America
Headlines from right-of-center Newsmax – evening of 2.2.2022
- Army to Immediately Start Discharging Vaccine Refusers; Thousands Face Ouster
- Preventative Medicine Services NCOIC Sergeant First Class Demetrius Roberson administers a COVID-19 vaccine to a soldier on Sept. 9, 2021, in Fort Knox, Kentucky. The Pentagon, with the support of military leaders and President Joe Biden, mandated COVID-19 vaccination for all military service members in early September. (Jon Cherry/Getty Images)
- Ukraine in Crisis
- US Threatens to Cut Off Chip Supply to Russia
- Josh Hawley: ‘Mistake’ to Send More US Troops to Eastern Europe
- US Moving 3,000 Troops in Russia-Ukraine Crisis
- Leaked Documents Suggest Possible US-Russia Missile Deal
- Putin: US Trying to Draw Russia Into War
- Trump: Russia Will Hit Ukraine Because Biden-Led US Has Lost Respect | video
- Boris Johnson: Russia Poses ‘Clear and Present Danger’ in Ukraine
- More Ukraine in Crisis
- Newsmax TV
- Hinson: Biden Admin ‘Turning Blind Eye’ to Americans’ Pain
- Meuser to Newsmax: Blame Biden Policies for Expected Poor Jobs Report
- Steve Scalise: House GOP to Unveil ‘Bold’ Midterm Agenda | video
- Palin: Want to ‘Get Back into Public Service’ | video
- AG: Biden’s ‘Cavalier’ Border Act Hurts Americans | video
- Blackburn: Beijing Focused on Propaganda Olympics Brings | video
- Ex-Surgeon General Adams: CDC Head Should Answer Mask Concerns | video
- More Newsmax TV
- GOP Advances Bill to Tighten Abortion Access, Nixing Rape Exception
- Florida Republicans on Wednesday rejected a move to create exemptions for rape, incest and human trafficking in their proposal to ban abortions after 15 weeks, advancing the bill to tighten access to the procedure.The Senate Health Policy Committee, which is controlled by…… [Full Story]
- Newsmax Trump Ratings at Parity With Fox News
- Newsmax was the big ratings winner with its exclusive cable coverage [Full Story]
- Facebook Removes US Trucker Group Calling For Vaccine Protest
- A Facebook group organized by U.S. truckers seeking to follow [Full Story]
- Wall St Makes it Four Straight Gains as Big Tech Earnings Boost
- All three Wall Street benchmarks closed higher on Wednesday, a fourth [Full Story]
- Army to Immediately Start Discharging Vaccine Refusers; Thousands Face Ouster
- The Army said Wednesday it will immediately begin discharging [Full Story]
- Republicans Push to Ban Federal Funding for Military Vaccine Mandate
- First Trial Deliberately Infecting Young Adults With COVID Determined Safe
- Greg Murphy: Ivermectin Studies Should Have Been Done 18 Months Ago |video
- France to Start Using Pfizer’s COVID-19 Drug, First in EU
- Newsom, California Democrats Flout COVID Mandates They Imposed |Platinum Article
- Donald Trump to Newsmax: ‘RINO’ Graham ‘Wrong’ on Jan. 6 Pardons
- Former President Donald Trump has received significant pushback over [Full Story] | video
- Lindsey Graham Defends Objection to Jan. 6 Pardons After Trump Calls Him ‘RINO’
- Trump: Not Giving Up, Because ‘Our Country’s Going to Hell’ |video
- Trump: Ashli Babbitt Was Jan. 6’s Sole Casualty, Killing Her Was ‘a Disgrace’ |video
- Trump to Starbuck Backers: Ortagus ‘Solid’; My Moves Have ‘Worked Out’ |video
- CNN Chief Jeff Zucker Out Over Relationship With Senior Executive
- CNN President Jeff Zucker announced his resignation Wednesday after [Full Story]
- Trump: ‘Sleazebag’ Zucker’s Exit Good for Reducing ‘Fake News’
- Supreme Court Has Chance to ‘Sunset’ Affirmative Action in College Admissions
- Even before President Joe Biden indicated he’d carry through on his [Full Story] | Platinum Article
- Watchdog: NSA Didn’t Follow Rules to Protect Privacy of Americans
- The National Security Agency did not adhere to both court-approved [Full Story]
- Super Bowl LVI Projected to Generate $1B in Legal Wagers
- Super Bowl LVI between the Los Angeles Rams and Cincinnati Bengals is [Full Story]
- White House Orders National Archives to Release Pence Records
- The White House this week directed the National Archives to release [Full Story]
- Parents Can Review Critical Race Theory Curricula Because of 1974 Law
- Parents have the right to review public school curriculum and opt out [Full Story]
- Labor unions that were deemed ineligible for the Paycheck Protection [Full Story]
- USA Swimming Sets New Rules for Elite Transgender Athletes
- USA Swimming has unveiled a new policy that would allow transgender [Full Story]
- Rubio: NBC Should Not Profit From Beijing Olympics Coverage
- NBC shouldn’t be allowed to profit from its coverage of the Winter [Full Story]
- Police: Gunman Kills 2 Virginia College Officers, Arrested
- A gunman shot and killed two campus officers at a private college [Full Story]
- Former Miss USA Cheslie Kryst’s Cause of Death Confirmed
- Former Miss USA winner Cheslie Kryst’s official cause of death has [Full Story]
- Loudoun County Public Schools Defy Gov. Youngkin’s Order to Lift Mask Mandates
- New Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin may have issued an executive order [Full Story]
- Taylor Swift Fans Call for Her to Pull Music From Spotify
- Taylor Swift’s fans are calling on the pop star to pull her music [Full Story]
- Poll: Majority Back Biden’s Intent to Nominate Black Woman to Supreme Court
- A majority of voters back President Joe Biden’s intention to nominate [Full Story]
- Meuser to Newsmax: Blame Biden Policies for Expected Poor Jobs Report
- The Biden administration is bracing itself for a Bureau of Labor [Full Story]
- Melinda French Gates No Longer Plans to Give Most of Wealth to Gates Foundation
- Melinda French Gates is no longer pledging to donate most of her [Full Story]
- Congressional Party Leaders Hope to Reach Long-Term Spending Deal
- Senate leaders from both parties are meeting Wednesday for a second [Full Story]
- Winter Storm Brings Freezing Rain, Snow to Wide Swath of US
- A major winter storm with millions of Americans in its path brought a [Full Story]
- US National Debt Tops $30 Trillion
- S. public debt topped $30 trillion for the first time, reaching [Full Story]
- Starbucks Boosting Prices to Offset Inflation
- Starbucks Corp. will raise menu prices in 2022 and reduce some [Full Story]
- Whoopi Suspended From ABC’s ‘The View’ After Holocaust Flub
- Whoopi Goldberg has been suspended for two weeks as co-host of “The [Full Story]
- US Threatens to Cut Off Chip Supply to Russia if It Invades Ukraine
- The Biden administration has threatened Russia with cutting it off [Full Story]
- Lockdowns Reduced COVID Mortality Only 0.2 Percent: Johns Hopkins Analysis
- An analysis of studies released last month by Johns Hopkins [Full Story]
- Majority of Florida Voters Disapprove of President Biden: Poll
- A poll from USA Today-Suffolk University released on Tuesday showed [Full Story]
- House Majority Leader Hoyer Tests Positive for COVID-19
- House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md., announced on Tuesday that [Full Story]
- Pandemic Creates Openings for Would-be Entrepreneurs
- The number of Americans looking to start their own business is on the rise, as the coronavirus pandemic creates opportunities for some would-be entrepreneurs…. [Full Story]
- Biden Trying to Fulfill Promise of 500 Million Free COVID Tests
- Energy Transfer Charged With Environmental Crimes in Pennsylvania
- Michael Busler: Massive Public Debt Will Burden Future Generations
- VW to Build 1 Million EVs a Year in China, Starting in 2023
- More Finance
- Pfizer Asks FDA to Allow COVID-19 Vaccine for Kids Under 5
- Pfizer on Tuesday asked the U.S. to authorize extra-low doses of its COVID-19 vaccine for children under 5, potentially opening the way for the very youngest Americans to start receiving shots as early as March. In an extraordinary move, the Food and Drug Administration had…… [Full Story]
- France to Start Using Pfizer’s COVID-19 Drug, First in EU
- Women ‘Faking It’ in Bedroom to Protect Partner’s Ego: Studies
- People Are Brushing Their Teeth Less During the Pandemic
- Biden Aims to Reduce Cancer Deaths by 50 Percent Over Next 25 Years
Manufactured Housing Industry Investments Connected Equities Closing Tickers
Some of these firms invest in manufactured housing, or are otherwise connected, but may do other forms of investing or business activities too.
- NOTE: The chart below includes the Canadian stock, ECN, which purchased Triad Financial Services, a manufactured home industry lender
- NOTE: Drew changed its name and trading symbol at the end of 2016 to Lippert (LCII).
- NOTE: Deer Valley was largely taken private, say company insiders in a message to MHProNews on 12.15.2020, but there are still some outstanding shares of the stock from the days when it was a publicly traded firm. Thus, there is still periodic activity on DVLY.
MHProNews. MHProNews – previously a.k.a. MHMSM.com – has celebrated our 11th year of publishing, and is starting our 12th year of serving the industry as the runaway most-read trade media.
Sample Kudos over the years…
It is now 11+ years and counting…
Learn more about our evolutionary journey as the industry’s leading trade media, at the report linked below.
· For expert manufactured housing business development or other professional services, click here.
· To sign up in seconds for our industry leading emailed headline news updates, click here.
Disclosure. MHProNews holds no positions in the stocks in this report.
That’s a wrap on this installment of “News Through the Lens of Manufactured Homes and Factory-Built Housing” © where “We Provide, You Decide.” © (Affordable housing, manufactured homes, stock, investing, data, metrics, reports, fact-checks, analysis, and commentary. Third-party images or content are provided under fair use guidelines for media.) (See Related Reports, further below. Text/image boxes often are hot-linked to other reports that can be access by clicking on them.)
By L.A. “Tony” Kovach – for MHProNews.
Tony earned a journalism scholarship along with numerous awards in history. There have been several awards and honors and also recognition in manufactured housing. For example, he earned the prestigious Lottinville Award in history from the University of Oklahoma, where he studied history and business management. He’s a managing member and co-founder of LifeStyle Factory Homes, LLC, the parent company to MHProNews, and MHLivingNews.com. This article reflects the LLC’s and/or the writer’s position and may or may not reflect the views of sponsors or supporters.