The initial manufactured housing state association list below is per the Manufactured Housing Institute (MHI) (manufacturedhousing.org, mfghome.org). It will be followed by state associations that MHI failed to list. These are presented in the context of the quiet- to stormy-debate over the need for a new national trade association. That call for a new post-production trade group is hardly new. One variation of a previous call for such a trade group came from the Arkansas Manufactured Housing Association (AMHA) J.D. Harper. But the more common and consistent one known for over a decade has been from the production-focused Manufactured Housing Association for Regulatory Reform (MHARR) (manufacturedhousingassociationregulatoryreform.org or manufacturedhousingassociation.org). The MHARR trade group has been advancing that call for a new national post-production trade group that MHARR could partner with in order to implement existing laws that are favorable to manufactured housing in zoning, placement, and finance. In making their argument for a national alternative post-production trade association to MHI, MHARR points to years of apparent failure by MHI, which dares to claim they represent “all segments” (production, post-production) in manufactured housing to implement legislation on the post-production side. That vexing status quo is on an issue that both MHARR and MHI both admit are real problems. As one version of the supplant MHI argument goes, MHI can’t have it both ways. When MHI admits that the Manufactured Housing Improvement Act (MHIA) of 2000 and its “enhanced preemption” authority over local zoning/placement barriers is not being implemented, that is akin to MHI pointing a finger, while 3 fingers point back at them. Or, when MHI claims there is a lack of financing, particularly competitive chattel lending (personal property, home only loans) due in part to Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and Ginnie Mae each failing to do what their respective laws aimed for them to do, those two are cases of MHI admitting they have not done their job. Ironically, MHI and MHARR successfully collaborated on two bills some 15 to 24 years ago to enact the MHIA in 2000 and the Duty to Serve (DTS) provision of the Housing and Economic Recovery Act (HERA) of 2008 by widely bipartisan margins through Congress.
When pressed to answer why they have failed to do something so central to their mission, MHI leaders for at least 5 years have been documented to publicly duck, dodge, dismiss, distract, detract, defame, etc. What is missing from this list will be revealed further below.
|Alabama MHA||Mr. Lance Latham|
|Arkansas MHA||Mr. J.D. Harper|
|California MHI||Mr. Jess Maxcy|
|California Mobilehome Parkowners Alliance||Ms. Natalie Costaglio|
|Connecticut MHA||Ms. Nancy Palmisano|
|First State MHA||Ms. Jennifer Allen, PHC|
|Florida MHA||Mr. James Ayotte, CAE|
|Georgia MHA||Ms. Jennifer Lassen|
|Idaho MHA||Ms. Teri Ottens|
|Illinois MHA||Mr. Frank Bowman|
|Indiana MHA||Mr. Ronald L. Breymier|
|Iowa MHA||Mr. Joe M. Kelly|
|Kansas MHA||Ms. Martha Neu Smith|
|Kentucky MHI||Ms. Betty C. Whittaker, CAE|
|LMHA||Mr. Steve Duke|
|Manufactured & Modular Home Association of Minnesota||Mr. Mark Brunner|
|Massachusetts MHA||Ms. Melissa Caron|
|MHA of Maine||Mr. Richard Bradstreet|
|MHA of Oklahoma||Ms. Deanna Fields, PHC|
|MHI of Arizona||Mr. Ken Anderson, PHC|
|MHI of Maryland||Mr. Lee Sullivan|
|MHI of South Carolina||Mr. Mark Dillard|
|Michigan Manufactured Housing Association||Mr. William Sheffer, CAE|
|Mississippi MHA||Ms. Jennifer Hall|
|Missouri MHA||Mr. Thomas Hagar|
|Montana MH & RV Assoc.||Mr. Stuart Doggett|
|NCMHA||Mr. Brad Lovin|
|Nebraska MHA||Mr. Martin B. Huff|
|Nevada Housing Alliance||Mr. Leo A. Poggione, PHC|
|New Jersey MHA||Ms. Mary Beth Park|
|New Mexico MHA||Mr. Mark Duran|
|New York Housing Association, Inc.||Mr. Robert J. Capenos, CIC|
|NH Manufactured Housing Association||Ms. Karen N. Soucy|
|North Dakota MHA||Ms. Shannon Erie|
|Northwest Housing Association (i.e.: Washington state)||Ms. Joan Brown|
|Ohio MHA||Mr. Tim Williams|
|Oregon Manufactured Housing Association||Mrs. Genoa Ingram|
|Pennsylvania MHA||Ms. Mary Gaiski, PHC|
|Rocky Mountain Home Association||Ms. Tawny Peyton|
|South Dakota MHA||Ms. Jasper Diegel|
|Tennessee Housing Association||Ms. Marla Y. McAfee|
|Texas MHA||Mr. D.J. Pendleton|
|Utah Housing Alliance||Ms. Tawny Peyton|
|Virginia Manufactured and Modular Housing Assoc.||Mr. Randy Grumbine|
|West Virginia Housing Institute, Inc.||Ms. Andrea Greene|
|Western MHC Assn.||Ms. Sheila Dey|
|Wisconsin Housing Alliance||Ms. Amy Bliss|
|Wyoming Housing Alliance||Ms. Laurie Urbigkit|
Missing from the list above are the following.
- Manufactured Housing Communities of Arizona (https://azmhca.com or MHCA).
- Nevada Manufactured Home Community Owners (https://www.nvmhco.com).
In 2018, Neal Haney announced that two trade groups that had been MHI members pulled their support from MHI because of their failure to advance their interests. It was branded the National Association of Manufactured Housing Community Owners (NAMHCO).
NAMHCO made some industry headlines, but the history to date was akin to the proverbial shooting star that burned brightly before fading. NAMHCO was encouraged by MHARR.
MHI’s prominent member Nathan Smith took an early and public shot at NAMHCO. It was an ironic tactic, given that Smith himself has admitted that MHI has to admit that they have not always performed as they could or should. Smith vowed to make the trade group pro-active vs. reactive. What happened to the various pledges, admissions, and promises of Smith?
What is ahead for NAMHCO, which has been radio silent for months after they oddly came out publicly in a joint effort with MHI. They lost their contracted lobbyist/spokesperson, Tom Heinemann who was a former MHI VP.
State associations in the manufactured housing industry have the potential for being either part of the MHI echo chamber or for being a potential catalyst for change.
The fact that NAMHCO was even attempted, or that others continue to advocate for a new post-production trade group is a clear indication that despite the MHI echo chamber, there is dissatisfaction with the actual results MHI has produced.
This report has been provided with manufactured home industry newcomers and third-party researchers in mind. Naturally, others can benefit from the recap and what these facts imply.
That implication? Namely, that during an affordable housing crisis, manufactured housing is underperforming. Who says? In some cases, MHI’s own members.
To learn more about the periodic efforts to create a post-production rival to MHI that would complement MHARR’s efforts, see the linked and related reports above and below.
‘Announcing!’ ‘Manufactured Community Owners’ Association of America’ ‘Finally Bringing Fight To Manufactured Home Community Sector of the Industry’ – plus Sunday Weekly Manufactured Housing Headlines Review
Next up is our daily business news recap of yesterday evening’s market report, related left-right headlines, and manufactured housing connected equities.
The Business Daily Manufactured Home Industry Connected Stock Market Updates. Plus, Market Moving Left leaning CNN and Right-leaning (Newsmax) Headlines Snapshot. While the layout of this daily business report has been evolving over time, several elements of the basic concepts used previously are still the same. For instance. The headlines that follow below can be reviewed at a glance to save time while providing insights across the left-right media divide. Additionally, those headlines often provide clues as to possible ‘market-moving’ news items.
Market Indicator Closing Summaries – Yahoo Finance Closing Tickers on MHProNews…
Headlines from left-of-center CNN Business – from the evening of 4.18.2022
- Home-owning hope fades
- New homes at the Cielo at Sand Creek by Century Communities housing development in Antioch, California, U.S., on Thursday, March 31, 2022. U.S. home prices shows signs of becoming unhinged from fundamentals like they did in the housing bubble that preceded the 2008 crash, according to a blog post by the Dallas Federal Reserve bank.
- More Americans say it’s smarter to rent than buy
- Employees at a New York Apple store are trying to unionize
- Why Tesla investors may need to worry about Elon Musk’s Twitter distraction
- Trading metals is still a mess. It’s not just about nickel
- Ukraine’s richest man vows to rebuild besieged Mariupol
- Rotting fruit, spoiled vegetables: How Texas just made the supply chain even worse
- Opinion: My father went to prison for standing up for Uyghurs. Here’s how companies can support his mission
- These home renovation projects get the best return on investment
- Inflation, explained: Why prices keep going up and who’s to blame
- This beloved Taco Bell menu item is coming back after 2 years
- Airlines are slashing flights due to staffing shortage
- Right-wing conspiracy outlet Infowars files for bankruptcy protection as founder Alex Jones faces defamation suits
- A Freeway Propane facility in Springville, Utah, U.S., on Wednesday, Oct. 20, 2021. Staying warm this winter in the country will come at a higher cost this year along with most other consumer expenses as heating oil, natural gas and other fuels surge in price, reports Newsweek.
- Natural gas spikes to highest level since 2008 as rare nor’easter looms
- A customer stands near partially emptied shelves at a supermarket in Shanghai, China, Tuesday, March 29, 2022.
- The biggest risk to the global economy no one is talking about
- People walk with the Christ the Savior cathedral on the background on a sunny winter day in downtown Moscow, on January 12, 2022. – The temperature in Russian capital dropped down to minus 14 degrees Celsius.
- Western exodus could cost 200,000 jobs in Moscow, says mayor
- Women wearing face masks to help protect from the coronavirus walk by a barricaded Galaxy Soho commercial office building which was locked down for health monitoring following a COVID-19 case detected in the area, Tuesday, April 5, 2022, in Beijing. China has sent more than 10,000 health workers from across the country to Shanghai, including 2,000 military medical staff, as it struggles to stamp out a rapidly spreading COVID-19 outbreak in China's largest city.
- Chinese officials are ‘painfully aware’ of economic fallout from lockdowns
- Here’s where it’s most expensive to raise a kid
- Tesla wants to resume production in Shanghai
- Lockdowns pose a growing threat to the economy
- Top Chinese regulator says tech is booming
- FAN FAVORITES
- McDonald’s is bringing back a fan-favorite menu item
- Taco Bell is bringing back a dessert after seven years
- When McDonald’s is bringing back the Shamrock Shake
- Crystal Pepsi is back
- Why Chick-fil-A workers always say ‘my pleasure’
Headlines from Right-of-Center Newsmax 4.18.2022
- Russia’s Full-Scale Donbas Assault Begins ‘Second Phase’
- Russian Invasion of Ukraine
- Ukrainian General: No Signs Yet of Russia Planning Nuclear Attack | video
- Putin: Sanctions Hurt the West’s own Economies
- Russian Missile Plant Shutters Due to Sanctions
- Italy Prime Minister Draghi Predicts Long, Violent War
- US to Start Training Ukrainians to Use Howitzers
- Moscow Mayor: 200,000 Jobs at Risk as Foreign Firms Leave
- Ukraine Video: Medvedchuk Pitches Prisoner Swap
- Zelenskyy Invites Biden to Visit Ukraine
- Zelenskyy: World Should ‘Be Ready’ for Putin to Use Nukes
- Panetta: Send Ukraine Every Weapon We Can
- More Russian Invasion of Ukraine
- Newsmax TV
- Fred Keller: Blame People, Not Guns in Pittsburgh Shootings | video
- Ukrainian General: No Sign Yet of Russia Nuke Attack | video
- Brooks: Temporary Status Needs Reform
- Oz: Fauci ‘Failed Us’ and Should Be Fired | video
- Dick Morris Slams Fox News for Pro-Putin Propaganda | video
- Stephen Moore: ‘Out of Control Debt’ Leading to US Decline | video
- Zeldin: Ukraine Still Invaded Despite Early Intel | video
- Fmr NYPD Commish: War on Cops Led to Subway Attack | video
- More Newsmax TV
- Federal Judge in Florida Voids US Mask Mandate for Planes, Other Travel
- A U.S. judge in Florida on Monday ruled that a mask mandate on public transportation is unlawful, overturning a Biden administration effort to reduce the spread of COVID-19…. [Full Story]
- Omar Accused of ‘Christianphobia’ for Tweets About Viral Airplane Prayer Video
- Ilhan Omar, D-Minn., is being criticized online for her comments [Full Story]
- Musk, Twitter Talks Still Possible
- Twitter has dropped a major roadblock in front of Elon Musk’s effort [Full Story]
- Putin Honors Russian Brigade Accused of Bucha Atrocities
- Russian President Vladimir Putin on Monday honored the military unit [Full Story]
- It’s ‘Obvious’ Why Politicians Shouldn’t Trade Stocks: Elizabeth Warren
- Banning lawmakers from trading stocks should be a key priority for [Full Story]
- Obama Reemerges as Biden Flops
- Between a high-profile White House homecoming, media spots touching [Full Story] | Platinum Article
- Yellen to See Ukraine PM, Avoid Russians at Global Meetings
- Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen plans to meet with Ukrainian Prime [Full Story]
- Musk Twitter Bid Exposes Liberal Media Hypocrisy
- Billionaire Elon Musk’s offer to buy Twitter elicited a visceral [Full Story] | Platinum Article
- Dick Morris Slams Fox, Tucker Carlson for Pro-Putin Propaganda
- Russia’s Vladimir Putin has snagged Fox News and host Tucker Carlson [Full Story] | video
- Fox News Says ‘No’ to Trump’s Social App
- Antisemitic Flyers Found in Beverly Hills and Los Angeles During Passover
- Find God’s Peace with a Daily Prayer Resource for Easter
- Home Builder Sentiment Hits 7-Month Low
- Confidence among U.S. single-family homebuilders fell to a [Full Story]
- Pence Targets Vulnerable Democrats Over Rising Gas Prices
- Former Vice President Mike Pence’s advocacy group is launching ads in [Full Story]
- Mysterious Hepatitis Cases Among Children Investigated in US, UK
- The World Health Organization (WHO) is investigating an unexplained [Full Story]
- 5 Percent Mortgages Could Cool Housing Market
- Mortgage interest rates are now at 5%, a rate not seen since 2011, [Full Story]
- GOP’s Tommy Thompson Decides Against Run for Wisconsin Governor
- Former Wisconsin Gov. Tommy Thompson, a Republican elected to four [Full Story]
- US Army Chief Tests Positive for COVID-19
- S. Army Chief Gen. James McConville tested positive for the [Full Story]
- Elon Musk Reveals He Does Not Own a Home: I’m Staying at Friends’ Places
- Elon Musk has revealed that he does not own a home at the moment and [Full Story]
- McConnell’s Senate PAC Places $141 Million Ad Buy
- A very expensive battle is shaping up as both major parties seek to [Full Story]
- Top Russian Editor: ‘We Are at War With NATO’
- The editor-in-chief of two Russian state-owned media organizations [Full Story]
- Second Global COVID-19 Summit Scheduled for May
- A second Global COVID-19 Summit will be held virtually next month for [Full Story]
- Justices Reject New York-Led Appeal of SALT Cap
- The Supreme Court on Monday rejected a challenge from New York, New [Full Story]
- Pelosi Backs Crist for Florida Governor
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., has endorsed Rep. Charlie [Full Story]
- Macron in Tight Race With Le Pen for French President
- The latest polls indicate that French President Emmanuel Macron [Full Story]
- Boston Marathon Returns to Springtime Spot for 126th Running
- Runners were gearing up for the Boston Marathon on Monday, marking [Full Story]
- US Intelligence Satellite Launched From California
- A classified satellite for the U.S. National Reconnaissance Office [Full Story]
- Nuclear Device Used in Construction Stolen from Car in Philadelphia
- Pennsylvania authorities are asking the public for information [Full Story]
- Doubt Biden’s Student-Debt Action Will Save Dems in Midterms
- The White House earlier this week said canceling student loan debt [Full Story]
- Jerusalem Violence Puts Strain on Israel’s Coalition Government
- Clashes in Jerusalem that has stoked tensions during the Muslim holy [Full Story]
- US Rocked by 3 Mass Shootings During Easter Weekend; 2 Dead
- Authorities in South Carolina say they are investigating shooting at [Full Story]
- Kremlin Video Shows Allegedly Killed Moskva Admiral Alive, Well
- Despite reports of hundreds of Russians sailors missing after the [Full Story]
- NYC Mayor Adams: ‘Mistakes” of Past Caused Loss Of Trust in NYPD
- New York City Mayor Eric Adams on Sunday asserted “major mistakes” [Full Story]
- More Newsfront
- Musk, Twitter Talks Still Possible
- Twitter has dropped a major roadblock in front of Elon Musk’s effort to take over the company, leaving investors to wonder about the mercurial Tesla CEO’s next move…. [Full Story]
- Wall St Ends Lower as Investors Await Further Earnings Cues
- Richest Americans’ Income Taxes Range From 4% to 34%
- Treasury Yields Hit Three-Year Highs, Housing Data in Focus
- Workers at New York Apple Store Launch Union Campaign
- More Finance
- Expert Advice on Recovering From Long COVID
- If you’re one of the many people with long COVID, an expert offers advice on how to tackle it. The first step: Give yourself time to recover. “One thing we have seen repeatedly is that patients push themselves too hard while trying to recover. It makes sense. Everyone is so…… [Full Story]
- Federal Judge in Florida Voids US Mask Mandate for Planes, Other Travel
- CDC Lifts COVID ‘Do Not Travel’ Recommendations on 90 Countries
- Brain Scans Could be Key to Effective Treatment for Psychosis, Depression
- Moderna COVID Vaccine Antibody Response Edges Out Pfizer
MHProNews has pioneered in our profession several reporting elements that keep our regular and attentive readers as arguably the best informed in the manufactured housing industry. Among the items shared after ‘every business day’ (when markets are open) is our left-right headline recap summary. At a glance in two to three minutes, key ‘market moving’ news items are covered from left-of-center CNN Business and right-of-center Newsmax. “We Provide, You Decide.” © Additionally, MHProNews provides expert commentary and analysis on the issues that others can’t or won’t cover that help explain why manufactured housing has been underperforming during the Berkshire era while an affordable housing crisis and hundreds of thousands of homeless in America rages on. These are “Industry News, Tips, and Views Pros Can Use” © features and others made and kept us the runaway #1 in manufactured housing trade publisher for a dozen years and counting.
Manufactured Housing Industry Investments Connected Equities Closing Tickers
Some of these firms invest in manufactured housing, or are otherwise connected, but may do other forms of investing or business activities too.
- NOTE: The chart below includes the Canadian stock, ECN, which purchased Triad Financial Services, a manufactured home industry lender
- NOTE: Drew changed its name and trading symbol at the end of 2016 to Lippert (LCII).
- NOTE: Deer Valley was largely taken private, say company insiders in a message to MHProNews on 12.15.2020, but there are still some outstanding shares of the stock from the days when it was a publicly traded firm. Thus, there is still periodic activity on DVLY.
Manufactured Home Communities (a.k.a. ‘Mobile Home Parks’ – SIC) – Exploring UMH Properties; Fellow Manufactured Housing Institute Member Yes! Communities Suits and Settlements; plus MH Markets Updates
MHProNews. MHProNews – previously a.k.a. MHMSM.com – has celebrated our 11th year of publishing and have completed over a dozen years of serving the industry as the runaway most-read trade media.
Sample Kudos over the years…
It is now 12+ years and counting…
Learn more about our evolutionary journey as the industry’s leading trade media, at the report linked below.
· For expert manufactured housing business development or other professional services, click here.
· To sign up in seconds for our industry leading emailed headline news updates, click here.
Disclosure. MHProNews holds no positions in the stocks in this report.
That’s a wrap on this installment of “News Through the Lens of Manufactured Homes and Factory-Built Housing” © where “We Provide, You Decide.” © (Affordable housing, manufactured homes, stock, investing, data, metrics, reports, fact-checks, analysis, and commentary. Third-party images or content are provided under fair use guidelines for media.) (See Related Reports, further below. Text/image boxes often are hot-linked to other reports that can be access by clicking on them.)
By L.A. “Tony” Kovach – for MHProNews.
Tony earned a journalism scholarship along with numerous awards in history. There have been several awards and honors and also recognition in manufactured housing. For example, he earned the prestigious Lottinville Award in history from the University of Oklahoma, where he studied history and business management. He’s a managing member and co-founder of LifeStyle Factory Homes, LLC, the parent company to MHProNews, and MHLivingNews.com. This article reflects the LLC’s and/or the writer’s position and may or may not reflect the views of sponsors or supporters.