As retail sellers of HUD Code manufactured housing and employees of manufactured home communities know, school districts matter to millions of housing prospects. Sales are often made, or not, based on location. That location is often influenced by proximity to certain schools. With that backdrop in mind, the following from the WND NewsCenter to MHProNews is presented, with WND’s permission. It is followed by our business daily market report.
Links between housing and education under review in multiple states
Homes near elite institutions worth four times those near bad schools
By WND News Services
Published April 17, 2022 at 10:44am
This story originally was published by Real Clear Education.
Real Clear Education
Most of the nation’s 48.2 million public K-12 students are assigned to their schools based on geographic school districts or attendance zones, with few options for transferring to another public school district. This method of school assignment intertwines schooling with property wealth, limiting families’ education options according to where they can afford to live.
A 2019 Senate Joint Economic Committee report found that homes near highly rated schools were four times the cost of homes near poorly rated schools. This presents a real barrier for many families – and 56% of respondents in a 2019 Cato survey indicated that expensive housing costs prevented them from moving to better neighborhoods. The challenge has only deepened as housing prices skyrocketed during the pandemic, putting better housing and education options out of reach for many.
Open-enrollment policies, however, weaken the link between housing and schooling. These policies let families to enroll in any public school that has open seats.
There are two types of open enrollment. Interdistrict open enrollment allows families to attend schools outside of their assigned district; intradistrict open enrollment lets families enroll in schools inside their school district, but outside their attendance zone.
A proposal currently before the South Carolina state senate aims to establish mandatory interdistrict open enrollment statewide. Under the legislation, school districts could reject transfer applicants only for certain reasons, such as lack of capacity or teachers (though transfer students cannot displace students who are already residentially assigned). School districts would also be required to adhere to all federal antidiscrimination requirements and must implement a lottery to determine admission when transfer applications exceed available seats.
In Kansas, a proposal before the state senate’s education committee would require all school districts to participate in mandatory interdistrict open enrollment, so long as there are open seats. Just as with South Carolina’s proposal, transfer students could not displace residentially assigned students. Moreover, school districts would report the number of available seats to the Kansas Department of Education and post them on the district website. The proposal also prohibits charging transfer students tuition and includes a provision about providing transportation to non-resident students.
Finally, a Missouri proposal, already passed by the state house, would establish voluntary interdistrict open enrollment throughout the state. All students would be eligible to transfer to any participating school district that has seats available, and school districts would be required to post their open-enrollment policies and procedures on their websites.
To date, the South Carolina, Missouri, and Kansas open-enrollment proposals have received the approval of one state legislative chamber. If made into law, these measures would be a boon to families, greatly expanding their public education options.
Open enrollment is especially popular among families because it gives them access to schools with better academic records or more class offerings. Reason Foundation research indicates that students often use open enrollment to transfer to better schools. For instance, Texas students were more likely to transfer to school districts ranked as “A” and less likely to transfer to school districts with lower rankings, such as “C,” “D,” or “F.”
At the same time, open enrollment can serve as a catalyst for competition between schools, strengthening the education marketplace. California’s open enrollment program, the District of Choice program, was implemented in 1993; reports from the California Legislative Analyst’s Office in 2016 and 2021 showed that school districts made efforts to improve when their assigned students transferred to other school districts. In some cases, districts that made improvements saw fewer students transferring to other districts.
Unlike private school choice, which affects only 1% of K-12 students, open enrollment could expand education options for approximately 90% of K-12 students, breaking public schools’ geographic monopoly through residential assignment. As policymakers consider student-centered education options, they should remember that open enrollment can be the rising tide that lifts all boats. ##
Jude Schwalbach is an education policy analyst at Reason Foundation.
Additional Related Information
The following infographics are among those that make similar links between the importance of housing in the context of education, along with other aspects of modern society.
Next up is our daily business news recap of yesterday evening’s market report, related left-right headlines, and manufactured housing connected equities.
The Business Daily Manufactured Home Industry Connected Stock Market Updates. Plus, Market Moving Left leaning CNN and Right-leaning (Newsmax) Headlines Snapshot. While the layout of this daily business report has been evolving over time, several elements of the basic concepts used previously are still the same. For instance. The headlines that follow below can be reviewed at a glance to save time while providing insights across the left-right media divide. Additionally, those headlines often provide clues as to possible ‘market-moving’ news items.
Market Indicator Closing Summaries – Yahoo Finance Closing Tickers on MHProNews…
Headlines from left-of-center CNN Business – from the evening of 4.19.2022
- Electric dreams
- Three models of the Volkswagen ID.Buzz electric bus are shown at the Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles plant on April 2022 in Lower Saxony, Hanover, Germany.
- Volkswagen is coming for Tesla. Here’s how it plans to dominate the US market
- The world may dodge another recession. But risks are growing
- Elon Musk thinks Twitter’s algorithm should be public. Here’s what that could mean
- These airlines are making masks optional after mandate struck down
- Employees of the world’s most valuable company are trying to unionize
- Natural gas spikes to highest level since 2008 as rare nor’easter looms
- The biggest risk to the global economy no one is talking about
- Amazon to conduct racial equity audit led by former US attorney general
- Airlines are slashing flights due to staffing shortage
- So you missed the tax-filing deadline. Now what?
- Popeyes plans to open 200 new stores in North America this year
- These home renovation projects get the best return on investment
- A general view of Cinderella’s Castle at Walt Disney World Resort on March 03, 2022 in Lake Buena Vista, Florida.
- The magic is gone for Disney investors
- Before he killed himself, ‘he had to post on social media.’ Why this mom is suing Facebook
- A driver holds a fuel nozzle at a Shell gas station in Hercules, California, U.S., on Tuesday, March 29, 2022. California Governor Gavin Newsom’s proposal to give $400 to every car owner to offset record-high gasoline prices has prompted criticism that it undercuts the states aggressive climate goals.
- Gas prices are creeping higher again
- People walk with the Christ the Savior cathedral on the background on a sunny winter day in downtown Moscow, on January 12, 2022. – The temperature in Russian capital dropped down to minus 14 degrees Celsius.
- Western exodus could cost 200,000 jobs in Moscow, says mayor
- Jobless claims match 1968 low
- The Great Resignation is taking root around the world
- The job hunt can be exhausting. Here’s how to cope
- America’s job market is on fire. Here’s why it doesn’t feel like it
- WASHINGTON, DC – JANUARY 06: Alex Jones, the founder of right-wing media group Infowars, addresses a crowd of pro-Trump protesters after they storm the grounds of the Capitol Building on January 6, 2021 in Washington, DC. A pro-Trump mob stormed the Capitol earlier, breaking windows and clashing with police officers. Trump supporters gathered in the nation’s capital today to protest the ratification of President-elect Joe Biden’s Electoral College victory over President Trump in the 2020 election.
- Right-wing conspiracy outlet Infowars files for bankruptcy protection
- Who’s who: Meet the Murdoch Family
- See behind the scenes of Barry Manilow’s new musical
- ‘Stranger Things’ debuts new trailer
- Streaming services take a hit as inflation forces Brits to choose
Headlines from Right-of-Center Newsmax 4.19.2022
- Biden Plans to Ax Trump ‘Conscience’ Rule for Healthcare Workers
- The Biden administration is in the process of getting rid of a rule from the Trump administration that permits medical workers to refuse to provide services that conflict with their religious or moral convictions. The move is sure to be highly controversial at a time when conservatives are pressing strong limits on access to abortions and transgender care and progressives are raising red flags. [Full Story]
- Russian Invasion of Ukraine
- Russia, China Threaten ‘Tectonic Shift’ in World Economy: IMF
- Ukraine’s Military Gets More Aircraft and Parts to Repair Others, Pentagon Says
- Russia Tycoon Denounces ‘Massacre’ in Ukraine
- Grimm: No Russian Bomb Can Break the Spirit or Will of Ukraine
- Putin Demands Control of Jerusalem Church Land in the Christian Quarter of the Old City
- Russia Unleashes ‘Battle of Donbas’ in East Ukraine
- Biden, Allies Discuss New Security Guarantees for Ukraine
- Citing Russia’s War, IMF Cuts Global Growth Forecast to 3.6%
- Ukraine’s Military Intelligence Chief: Russia Prepped for Nuclear Weapons in Crimea | video
- State Dept. Weighs Labeling Russia State Sponsor of Terror
- Russia FM Lavrov: Operation Is in New Stage
- More Russian Invasion of Ukraine
- Newsmax TV
- Diaz-Balart: CDC Overstepped on Flight Mask Mandates
- Diaz-Balart: CDC Overstepped on Flight Mask Mandates | video
- Ukraine Official Kravchuk: Would US Want to Give Back Alaska? | video
- Tenney: Dems Have No Other Choice But Biden in 2024 | video
- Missouri AG Schmitt: Ending Title 42 Means ‘Tsunami of Illegal Immigration’ | video
- JD Vance: Trump Wants Candidates With an America First Plan | video
- Keller: Blame People, Not Guns in Pittsburgh Shootings | video
- JD Vance: Trump Revealed Bureaucratic Corruption | video
- More Newsmax TV
- CNN+ Seems Doomed: Axios
- It appears that CNN+ may be doomed, Axios reports. Warner Bros. Discovery is putting a moratorium on all external marketing for the streaming service, and has laid off CNN CFO Brad Ferrer…. [Full Story]
- Biden Administration May Appeal Ruling on Mask Mandates
- The White House said on Tuesday that the Biden administration might [Full Story]
- US Public Transit Mask Mandate Not in Force After Court Decision
- Trump Surgeon General Speaks Out After Lifting of CDC Mask Mandate
- Federal Judge in Florida Voids US Mask Mandate for Planes, Other Travel
- Court Ruling Creates Transit Mask Rule Jumble
- White House: Mask Ruling for Planes, Trains ‘Disappointing’ |video
- Arbery’s Killers to Be Sentenced in August for Hate Crimes
- The white men convicted of hate crimes for chasing and killing Ahmaud [Full Story]
- Sarah Palin’s Comeback Will Shake Washington, Experts Say
- After a 14-year hiatus, former Alaska Gov. and 2008 Republican [Full Story] | Platinum Article
- Ukraine’s Military Gets More Aircraft and Parts to Repair Others, Pentagon Says
- Ukraine’s partners have provided it additional military aircraft and [Full Story]
- CIA Expert on Nuclear War Warns of Biden Policies
- Peter Pry was the CIA’s leading expert on nuclear war [Full Story]
- 10 Dems Join GOP in Opposing Biden Ending Title 42
- President Joe Biden’s plan to do away with Title 42 border [Full Story]
- Could Finland, Sweden NATO Membership Spark War?
- As historically neutral Sweden and Finland inch closer toward joining [Full Story] | Platinum Article
- Newsmax to Host Townhall With JD Vance, Renacci in Ohio
- Newsmax will broadcast two Ohio Republican town hall events on [Full Story]
- Delta Airlines Walks Back Statement Calling COVID-19 ‘Seasonal Virus’
- After a backlash, Delta Airlines revised its Monday statement on the [Full Story]
- Report: Elon Musk to Invest up to $15B of His Own Money to Buy Twitter
- Elon Musk is willing to invest between $10 billion and $15 billion of [Full Story]
- Biden Plans to Rescind Trump ‘Conscience’ Rule for Health Workers
- The Biden administration is in the process of getting rid of a rule [Full Story]
- Secret Service Seized $102M in Cryptocurrency From Fraud Since 2015
- The United States Secret Service seized more than $102 million in [Full Story]
- DeSantis Takes Aim at Disney’s Special District, Governing Privileges
- As the fight between GOP lawmakers and The Walt Disney Company [Full Story]
- Michelle Obama’s Brother, Sister-in-Law Sue Their Children’s Former School
- Former first lady Michelle Obama’s brother and his wife are suing a [Full Story]
- Trump Schedules Rally for Nebraska Later This Month
- Former President Donald Trump has scheduled an April 29 rally for [Full Story]
- Alabama GOP Senate Candidate Questions Rival’s Reluctance to Commit to Debate
- Alabama Republican Senate candidate Katie Britt is questioning why [Full Story]
- Gallup Poll: Republicans More Concerned Than Dems About Illegal Immigration
- The public’s anxiety over illegal immigration is close to a [Full Story]
- Nebraska’s Gov. Candidate Herbster Hit With Sex Harassment Claims
- With less than a month to go before Nebraska Republicans choose a [Full Story]
- Biden Restores Some Environmental Reviews Eased by Trump
- The Biden administration moved on Tuesday to restore some of the [Full Story]
- Mexican President López Obrador Rips Abbott Over ‘Despicable’ Border Stops
- Mexican President Andres Manuel Lpez Obrador on Monday ripped Texas [Full Story]
- Poll: Voters Split Between GOP, Dems on Generic Ballot
- Voters are divided on which political party they would vote for on a [Full Story]
- Infowars Founder Alex Jones Denies Bankruptcy While Fighting Defamation Lawsuits
- Infowars founder Alex Jones denied his companies are bankrupt despite [Full Story]
- Russian forces will introduce new methods of warfare to better adapt [Full Story]
- White House: Biden Has Confidence in Feinstein Despite Reports of Mental Decline
- President Joe Biden, the oldest person sworn in as the country’s [Full Story]
- COVID Pill Paxlovid Demand Lags Due to Complications
- Worldwide demand for Pfizer Inc’s oral COVID-19 antiviral treatment [Full Story]
- Bald Eagle Deaths Hit 14 States as Bird Flu Outbreak Grips US
- A total of 36 bald eagles have died since February, covering 14 [Full Story]
- Professor Settles Big in Lawsuit Over Rejecting Student’s Preferred Pronouns
- A Shawnee State University professor who refused to use the preferred [Full Story]
- Migrant Crossings Spike as Biden About to Lift Title 42
- Migrants attempted to cross the U.S.-Mexico border at the highest [Full Story]
- US Unveils Plans for June Oil, Gas Drilling Auctions
- The Biden administration will offer oil and gas companies drilling [Full Story]
- J&J’s Janssen Settles $99M Opioid Lawsuit With W.Va.
- West Virginia will receive $99 million in a settlement finalized [Full Story]
- More Newsfront
- Russia-China Alliance a ‘Tetonic World Shift’: IMF
- The International Monetary Fund on Tuesday downgraded the outlook for the world economy this year and next, blaming Russia’s war in Ukraine for disrupting global commerce, pushing up oil prices, threatening food supplies and increasing uncertainty…. [Full Story]
- Russia Tycoon Denounces ‘Massacre’ in Ukraine
- ‘Mask-Burning’ Transit Riders, Free at Last
- Rowe Closes Russia Fund to New Investors
- AMC Now Accepts Dogecoin, Shiba Inu
- More Finance
- Expert Advice on Recovering From Long COVID
- If you’re one of the many people with long COVID, an expert offers advice on how to tackle it. The first step: Give yourself time to recover. “One thing we have seen repeatedly is that patients push themselves too hard while trying to recover. It makes sense. Everyone is so…… [Full Story]
- Doctors Propose New Name for Low-grade Prostate Cancer
- Unvaccinated Children Hospitalized at Twice the Rate During Omicron Surge: Study
- Estrogen, Testosterone Deficiencies May Raise Risk for Rotator Cuff Tears
- How to Reduce Risky Nighttime Bathroom Breaks
MHProNews has pioneered in our profession several reporting elements that keep our regular and attentive readers as arguably the best informed in the manufactured housing industry. Among the items shared after ‘every business day’ (when markets are open) is our left-right headline recap summary. At a glance in two to three minutes, key ‘market moving’ news items are covered from left-of-center CNN Business and right-of-center Newsmax. “We Provide, You Decide.” © Additionally, MHProNews provides expert commentary and analysis on the issues that others can’t or won’t cover that help explain why manufactured housing has been underperforming during the Berkshire era while an affordable housing crisis and hundreds of thousands of homeless in America rages on. These are “Industry News, Tips, and Views Pros Can Use” © features and others made and kept us the runaway #1 in manufactured housing trade publisher for a dozen years and counting.
Manufactured Housing Industry Investments Connected Equities Closing Tickers
Some of these firms invest in manufactured housing, or are otherwise connected, but may do other forms of investing or business activities too.
- NOTE: The chart below includes the Canadian stock, ECN, which purchased Triad Financial Services, a manufactured home industry lender
- NOTE: Drew changed its name and trading symbol at the end of 2016 to Lippert (LCII).
- NOTE: Deer Valley was largely taken private, say company insiders in a message to MHProNews on 12.15.2020, but there are still some outstanding shares of the stock from the days when it was a publicly traded firm. Thus, there is still periodic activity on DVLY.
Manufactured Home Communities (a.k.a. ‘Mobile Home Parks’ – SIC) – Exploring UMH Properties; Fellow Manufactured Housing Institute Member Yes! Communities Suits and Settlements; plus MH Markets Updates
MHProNews. MHProNews – previously a.k.a. MHMSM.com – has celebrated our 11th year of publishing and have completed over a dozen years of serving the industry as the runaway most-read trade media.
Sample Kudos over the years…
It is now 12+ years and counting…
Learn more about our evolutionary journey as the industry’s leading trade media, at the report linked below.
· For expert manufactured housing business development or other professional services, click here.
· To sign up in seconds for our industry leading emailed headline news updates, click here.
Disclosure. MHProNews holds no positions in the stocks in this report.
That’s a wrap on this installment of “News Through the Lens of Manufactured Homes and Factory-Built Housing” © where “We Provide, You Decide.” © (Affordable housing, manufactured homes, stock, investing, data, metrics, reports, fact-checks, analysis, and commentary. Third-party images or content are provided under fair use guidelines for media.) (See Related Reports, further below. Text/image boxes often are hot-linked to other reports that can be access by clicking on them.)
By L.A. “Tony” Kovach – for MHProNews.
Tony earned a journalism scholarship along with numerous awards in history. There have been several awards and honors and also recognition in manufactured housing. For example, he earned the prestigious Lottinville Award in history from the University of Oklahoma, where he studied history and business management. He’s a managing member and co-founder of LifeStyle Factory Homes, LLC, the parent company to MHProNews, and MHLivingNews.com. This article reflects the LLC’s and/or the writer’s position and may or may not reflect the views of sponsors or supporters.