Programing notice: there is a coronavirus-related special report that is developing. Update, that report is linked here.
That said, tonight’s featured focus is on updates from the South Central Manufactured Housing Institute (SMCHI), the parent organization for the Tunica Manufactured Home Show. There is also an update obtained from the Manufactured Housing Institute (MHI) that is distinctive from SCMHI’s, the two will be compared and contrasted below, along with some insights from the so-called Oracle of Omaha himself.
As Star Trek fans might muse about the contrast between SCMHI and MHI through the lens of the sci-fi series’ classic logical Vulcan character Mr. Spock, “Fascinating.”
The worst day for stocks was followed by the best day for stocks. Ponder that on the day when the markets rebounded sharply from their recent plunge, those headline items will be our featured focus.
Every evening our headlines that follow provide snapshots from two major media outlets on each side of the left-right news spectrum that reflect topics that influence or move investor sentiment. In moments on this business evening report, you can get ‘insights-at-a-glance.’
This report also sets the broader context for manufactured housing markets, in keeping with our mantra, “News through the lens of manufactured homes and factory-built housing” ©.
We begin with headlines left-of-center CNN followed by right-of-center Fox Business. We share closing tickers and other related data courtesy of Yahoo Finance, and more. 5 to 10 minutes reading this MHProNews market report every business night could save you 30 minutes to an hour of similar reading or fact-gathering elsewhere.
Perhaps more important, you will get insights about the industry from experts that care, but also dare to challenge the routine narrative that arguably keeps manufactured housing underperforming during an affordable housing crisis.
Headlines from left-of-center CNN Business
- Dow jumps 2,000 points
- Traders work during the opening bell at the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) on March 13, 2020 at Wall Street in New York City. (Photo by Johannes Eisele/AFP/Getty Images)
- It was the best day for stocks since 2008, but the week ended with sharp losses
- Track which stocks are getting hurt by coronavirus — and which are getting a boost
- NY Fed speeds up efforts to fix the financial system’s plumbing
- Savers are getting destroyed by super low interest rates
- Saudi Arabia launched the ultimate oil power play. Here’s what it stands to gain
- How to prepare if coronavirus might cut your income
- Delta announces its biggest flight capacity cuts in history
- Online sales of hand sanitizer spiked over 800% this year
- ‘The great shutdown of 2020’ has overwhelmed the news nervous system
- How Fox News misled viewers about the coronavirus
- ESPN and other sports networks need to fill their air now that coronavirus put live sports on hold
- This small island chain is leading the way on hydrogen power
- NEW YORK, NY – MARCH 12: General arena view after the first half of the Big East tournament quarterfinal round game between the St. Johns Red Storm and Creighton Blue Jays on March 12, 2020 at Madison Square Garden in New York, NY.
- Vendors, ushers, other hourly workers pay the price for sports’ coronavirus shutdown
- She got 14,000 McDonald’s stores to switch to fresh beef
- One man lost his life savings in a SIM hack. Here’s how you can try to protect yourself
Headlines from right-of-center Fox Business
- Dow has biggest point gain ever after Trump enlists Google, Walmart in coronavirus fight
- All three major U.S. indexes saw healthy gains as Trump detailed his most serious coronavirus crisis response to date.
- What does a national emergency mean for the US?
- The Dow’s biggest single-day gains and losses in history
- Chicago trading floors shut down
- Selloff silver lining? Mark Cuban scooped up these 2 stocks during bloodbath
- How to stay sane while social distancing
- FDA gives emergency OK to Roche’s test
- How coronavirus is impacting the 2020 presidential election
- PICS: NYC halts to startling standstill
- I was quarantined for coronavirus in Italy: Don’t make the mistakes we made
- AOC makes bold claim about ‘wealthy and powerful’ being tested for coronavirus
- ‘Ready to go’: Trump updates on virus tests
- Coronavirus National Emergency — Is working from home legal?
- As coronavirus spreads, recession increasingly likely, economists warn
- Trump to be tested for coronavirus ‘most likely’
- Do’s and don’ts of working from home
- Mnuchin: Trump wants to put money into economy for these Americans
- The handshake that could have infected Trump with coronavirus
- Coronavirus prompts some casinos to nix live shows, buffets
- Why your next Delta flight may be empty
- How does Trump’s payroll tax cut plan compare to Obama’s
- WATCH: Why countries may start to rethink their relationships with ChinaVideo
- Your iPhone may be harboring coronavirus, here’s how to clean it
- Walmart CEO says hand sanitizer may be scarce ‘for some time’
- Here are 4 internet alternatives to overburdened broadband networks
- House Dems, White House near agreement on virus aid package
- Coronavirus outbreak leads Airbnb to relax cancellation policy in these areas
- Coronavirus outbreak halts visits to federal inmates
- Grubhub waives commission fees for restaurants temporarily
- Coronavirus closures: U-Haul offers free storage for college students
- WATCH: Stew Leonard’s CEO says Procter & Gamble putting market on allocation
- How much money NCAA, NBA will lose as virus derails seasons
- WATCH: Virus hot spot rolls out new drive-through testing
- Should I cancel my cruise? What precautions should I take?
- El-Erian: Stock market to get ‘even more treacherous’
- Major publishers agree to drop coronavirus research paywalls
- Trump urges Congress to approve payroll tax cut until year’s end
- Warren Buffett axes ‘Woodstock’ festivities at Berkshire’s annual meeting
- Tom Hanks, Rita Wilson taking coronavirus diagnoses ‘one day at a time’
- Scandal brings down US Soccer president
- World leader’s wife tests positive for coronavirus
- JetBlue punishes passenger who boarded flight with coronavirus
- Former White House doctor: Biggest misconceptions about virus right now
- Despite coronavirus, Trump administration still delivering long-term economic wins
- South Korea, criticized for virus outbreak response, to limit patient info
- Household hacks after coronavirus wipes out stores
- Facebook, Twitter: Russian election interference getting more sophisticated
- Coronavirus fallout leads to first round of layoffs in US
- What is two-factor authentication?
10 Market Indicator Closing Summaries – Yahoo Finance Closing Tickers on MHProNews…
Featured Focus – Where Business, Politics and Investing Can Meet
This will be a three-part report. SCMHI and the Tunica Show, MHI and their spring event, and then an MHProNews analysis and commentary.
- The following was from the SCMHI, parent body of the Tunica Show, in a statement via email to MHProNews.
The SCMHI board met via conference call this afternoon to discuss whether to proceed with the 2020 Tunica Show in light of the Coronavirus pandemic that has now impacted our country. The board has decided that, out of an abundance of caution and in compliance with the public health recommendations being issued by the States of Mississippi and Alabama as well as our national government in Washington, DC, this year’s Tunica Show will be canceled.
While the board deeply regrets the need to cancel the show, the health and well-being of our participants and attendees must be our first priority. We apologize for any inconvenience this decision may have caused, but ask for your understanding during this time as our nation’s leaders work to prevent the spread of this deadly virus.
We look forward to the return of the SCHMI Show in 2021, and hope to see you all there!”
The following was obtained also today from an MHI connected source to their members.
MHI continues to monitor the COVID-19 situation in Las Vegas and across the United States. Our commitment to the health and safety of our attendees, exhibitors, sponsors and staff remains our top priority.
We are diligently navigating all options, including alternate dates in order to have the best show for the industry. We ask for your continued patience as these discussions are still ongoing.
The 2020 Congress & Expo website is being updated with relevant show information as it becomes available. We appreciate the strength and support from each of you and will continue to keep you informed.
The SCMHI message was obtained at 4:25 PM ET on 3.13.2020. The MHI message was delivered on March 13, 2020 at about 2:15 PM ET, or roughly 2 hours before the SCMHI message was sent.
Notice, that the MHI message does not cancel their event, but instead hints that it will be postponed?
Recall that on 3.10.2020, 2 days after our report linked below, MHI was still promoting attendance of their event, where they wanted their members to hear more about their “CrossModTM homes” scam, err, scandal, uhm…’plan.’
Indeed, here is what MHI’s Congress and Expo website posted on 3.10.2020.
Today, MHI is posturing about ‘the health and safety’ of their members and attendees. But days after others were cancelling or resetting meetings, MHI hints that they are searching for an alternative date, but said actually nothing beyond their spin, err, posturing, umh…”information” update. This is also the first time they mentioned in a broader membership and readers COVID19.
These indicators paint a picture, which those sarcastic quips will hopefully shed light on.
SCMHI cancelled, period, they explained why. MHI postures and said exactly nothing definitive about their event.
Ponder that as you wonder how much MHI’s leadership sincerely cares about their members health and wellbeing. While actions speak louder than words, inaction and posturing can speak volumes too.
The Oracle of Omaha
MHProNews pinged (tweeted/messaged) Buffett, Ron Olson and another on the Berkshire Hathaway board of directors with the concerns noted further below. We are not claiming that our messages caused them to take the following steps. But compare and contrast what Buffett did with MHI’s statement.
Today, Buffett announced that their annual shareholders event in May was cancelled.
“I very much regret this action,” Warren Buffett said in a statement, per Fox Business. “For many decades the annual meeting has been a high point of the year for me and my partner, Charlie Munger. It is now clear, however, that large gatherings can pose a health threat to the participants and the greater community. We won’t ask this of our employees, and we won’t expose Omaha to the possibility of becoming a ‘hot spot’ in the current pandemic.”
To Buffett’s credit, unlike MHI, the move by Berkshire management was clear and definitive. Their so-called ‘Woodstock of Capitalism’ is off, period.
Continue to look to MHProNews for clarity of analysis as we track the minutia of MHVille and its meaning to independents, investors, advocates, policy wonks and others.
Programing note. Be looking for a special report on MHProNews about the still developing coronavirus issue and how it impacts manufactured housing that is in process. Teaser. There is evidence from a range of sources that one of the greatest transfers of wealth could be occurring right before the nation’s and the world’s eyes. MHProNews has been monitoring these developments through a skeptical evidence-and-historically focused lens.
To learn more, see the related report further below. If you aren’t already on our growing list of emailed headline news readers, you can sign up in seconds via the link below.
Manufactured Housing Industry Investments Connected Closing Equities Tickers
Some of these firms invest in manufactured housing, or are otherwise connected, but may do other forms of investing or business activities too.
- NOTE: The chart below includes the Canadian stock, ECN, which purchased Triad Financial Services, a manufactured home industry lender
- NOTE: Drew changed its name and trading symbol at the end of 2016 to Lippert (LCII).
MHProNews. MHProNews – previously a.k.a. MHMSM.com – has now celebrated our tenth anniversary.
Learn more about our evolutionary journey as the industry’s leading trade media, at the report linked below.
· For expert manufactured housing business development or other professional services, click here.
· To sign up in seconds for our industry leading emailed headline news updates, click here.
Disclosure. MHProNews holds no positions in the stocks in this report.
“We Provide, You Decide.” © ## (News, analysis and commentary.)
(Image credits and information are as shown above, and when provided by third parties, are shared under fair use guidelines.)
Submitted by Soheyla Kovach, co-managing member of LifeStyle Factory Homes, LLC and co-founder for MHProNews.com, and MHLivingNews.com.
Connect with us on LinkedIn here and here.