A common undercurrent in movies or TV shows for generations has been ‘product placement.’ The brand and model of automaker(s) used, what clothing label, jewelry, soda, brand of beer or which wine or alcohol are served are among the things companies may pay significant dollars to have ‘placed’ in a movie. The bigger the hit, the better the bang for the advertiser’s product placement bucks.
There are several reasons why we opted to post a gritty, and at some levels, unnerving movie on our MHLivingNews sister site. One reason is the theme for this evening’s feature-focus. Product placement. More on that following our standard graphics and introductory fare in our Featured Focus section – “Where Business, Politics and Investing Meet.”
Periodic readers of this business-nightly feature should note there are new tweaks to some of the standard portions of our evening market/investing report. Read carefully as some changes of the ‘standard text’ that follows before our left-right headlines and also in other features near the end of tonight’s reports.
Every evening our headlines that follow provide snapshots from two major media outlets on each side of the left-right news spectrum that reflect topics that influence or move investor sentiment. In moments on this business evening report, you can get ‘insights-at-a-glance.’
This report also sets the broader context for manufactured housing markets, in keeping with our mantra, “News through the lens of manufactured homes and factory-built housing” ©.
We begin with headlines left-of-center CNN followed by right-of-center Fox Business. We share closing tickers and other related data courtesy of Yahoo Finance, and more. 5 to 10 minutes reading this MHProNews market report every business night could save you 30 minutes to an hour of similar reading or fact-gathering elsewhere.
Perhaps more important, you will get insights about the industry from experts that care, but also dare to challenge the routine narrative that arguably keeps manufactured housing underperforming during an affordable housing crisis.
Headlines from left-of-center CNN Business
- Stock climbs after hours
- Amazon stock soars on huge earnings beat
- American Airlines pilots sue to halt US-China flights amid coronavirus epidemic
- Apple, more than most American companies, has a lot to lose from the coronavirus outbreak
- Apple completes its roll out of the redesigned Maps app
- Kobe Bryant memorabilia is selling for up to $3 million on eBay
- Jaguar Land Rover’s CEO to retire. His successor will face many challenges
- A new kind of Coke has quietly hit US shelves
- Washington Post’s top editor sends memo to staff after backlash over handling of reporter’s Kobe Bryant tweets
- Democratic senators take to Fox News airwaves to score points for Trump’s impeachment
- The 2020 box office is off to a strong start
- IBM CEO Ginni Rometty to retire in April
- NEW YORK, NY – JANUARY 10: People walk by a subway station on January 10, 2018 in New York City. The New York City subway system, which opened in 1904 and is the world’s largest rapid transit system by number of stations, experienced a summer of hundreds of delays and break downs. Under pressure from commuters, local politicians are looking for ideas to fix the aging transportation system, which serves over 5.7 million daily riders on weekdays.
- A quarter of Millennials have $100,000 saved. Here’s how they plan to spend it
- Delta will ditch the uniforms many employees call ‘toxic’
- YOU’VE GOT MAIL
- UPS teams up with Waymo to test self-driving delivery vans
- FedEx problems go beyond its split with Amazon
- Amazon is expanding its free return policy
- Why rush shipping is so bad for the environment
- Amazon wants to ship you anything in 30 minutes. It’s going to need a lot of robots
- UP IN SMOKE
- One of the biggest names in cannabis is falling behind in paying vendors
- Using QR Codes to fight illegal cannabis sales
- New York governor promises to legalize cannabis
- 2020 could be a defining year for the cannabis industry
- Testing drivers for cannabis is hard. Here’s why
Headlines from right-of-center Fox Business
- World’s richest man Jeff Bezos about to get richer as Amazon tops $1T value
- The e-commerce giant posted better-than-expected fourth-quarter results as shares rallied, trading above the $2,000 per share level.
- Jeff Bezos, Lauren Sanchez at New York hot spots amid sexting scandal
- Amazon honcho may attend Super Bowl LIV as rumors swirl about team purchase
- Jeff Bezos texts to mistress: History of a scandal
- Man charged with murdering missing wife dies days after suicide attempt
- IBM CEO Ginni Rometty to retire after decades at company, successor named
- WATCH: Ginni Rometty, Ivanka Trump discuss women in the workforce from Davos
- ‘GLOBAL EMERGENCY’: World Health Org issues dire declaration as virus spreads
- SEE PICS: Coronavirus fears lead dog owners to buy facemasks — for pets
- Ignore the naysayers and look at the big picture — Americans are still getting ahead
- NBA reportedly cuts salary cap projection amid China business fallout
- Why this dog owner dropped $6 million on Super Bowl commercial
- One-fourth of millennials have this amount in the bank
- Prosecutors reveal when Lori Loughlin will go to trial over college cheating
- Some Hooters customers will soon have more to do than just eat at restaurants
- Why Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas is selling its furniture to the public
- Companies yanking thousands of baby products from shelves over deadly risk
- Ex-boyfriend of Weinstein accuser takes stand in dramatic testimony
- Where the 1% is investing
- Baseball legend Pete Rose: Sign-stealing scandal tip of the iceberg
- Iowa caucus flooded with super PAC money — despite candidates’ vows never to accept
- Harvey Weinstein’s defense: Private eyes were hired ‘for days like this’
- How much Alex Rodriguez is worth
- UPS buys 10,000 electric delivery vans and announces Waymo partnership
- Teacher charged after hidden camera found in hotel during school field trip
- Tea iced? Unilever mulls unloading Lipton as consumers favoring different drink
- Stocks rebound helped by big tech as investors shrug off coronavirus outbreak
- Kobe Bryant inspires dramatic changes to NBA All-Star Game
- Amazon CEO Bezos posts A+ revenue, profits, company hits $1 trillion in value
- Price of T. Boone Pickens’ former Texas ranch slashed by $30M
- Facebook breaks record with facial-recognition settlement amount
- Sweet success: Hershey sales boosted by candy price increases
- SEE PICS: Billionaire Bill Gates’ daughter to marry Egyptian equestrian
- US homeownership rate at multiyear high
- Tesla is ‘bitcoin on wheels’
- Jerry Seinfeld announces new project set for October
- Gen Z better off financially than millennials, here’s why
- Old Bay hot sauce with ‘Chesapeake flavor’ has fiery debut
- Trump sign puts local ice cream shop in a twist
- $1.8B pension hit drags shipping giant UPS into the red
- Is chasing the highest savings rate worth it?
- GM teases HUMMER’s all-electric reboot
- When you can expect to get your tax refund this year
- Bloomberg drops $10M Super Bowl ad centered on this issue
- You’re not alone: How many Americans will skip work on ‘Super Bowl Monday’
- Sony’s PlayStation Vue goes dark, YouTube TV lures former users
- Businessman allegedly guided Utah polygamists in biodiesel fraud scheme
- ‘Clean up Atlantic City, no Showboat gambling,’ say casino execs
- Beloved daytime NBC show renewed for 56th season
- Jussie Smollett’s attorneys seek records on Chicago’s ex-top cop
- Queen summons Epstein-linked Prince Andrew over latest bombshells
- Hunter Biden’s ex-wife, Michelle Obama spotted dining out in D.C.
10 Market Indicator Closing Summaries – Yahoo Finance Closing Tickers on MHProNews…
Featured Focus – Where Business, Politics and Investing Meet
This evening’s report will be different than some that we’ve done recently in this respect. While MHProNews routinely looks at opportunities and obstacles to doing more business, we don’t always get into the weeds of what that might look like.
We’re doing a test on MHLivingNews of a concept that we’ve had for a number of years. It was raised by Eddie Hicks early on in the pages of MHProNews, but Hicks is not alone in thinking about how ‘product placement’ might work.
There are some very bright and successful individuals and organizations in this industry. That said, the number of times that product placement has been done positively vs. negatively in manufactured housing is stunning.
NCIS, John Oliver’s viral satirical video or the Trailer Park Boys are three examples of negative product placement.
While it is certainly fair to say that using Duck Dynasty was an attempt to create a positive tie-into manufactured homes, that effort made little or no impact on the market, as shipment levels reveal.
MHLivingNews is doing a simple test. How popular will the gritty “Mobile Homes” video and related article be? It isn’t like the movie is a happy-go-lucky cheer leading for manufactured home living. It is quite gritty and dark in many ways.
That said, maybe that’s what the times call for, we’ll soon start developing data. That data may shed light on what producing a movie like this might do for the industry’s independents.
Feedback on this notion of a movie that uses product placement – for, against or neutral – are welcome. In the next few months, we’ll see how this goes. Stay tuned.
Time Sensitive Reading = Consumers, Nonprofit Advocacy, Manufactured Home Professional Comments on HUD-White House RFI Reducing Regulatory Barriers, plus Manufactured Housing Headline Reports 1.19 to 1.26.2020
Manufactured Housing Industry Investments Connected Closing Equities Tickers
Some of these firms invest in manufactured housing, or are otherwise connected, but may do other forms of investing or business activities too.
- NOTE: The chart below includes the Canadian stock, ECN, which purchased Triad Financial Services, a manufactured home industry lender
- NOTE: Drew changed its name and trading symbol at the end of 2016 to Lippert (LCII).
MHProNews. MHProNews – previously a.k.a. MHMSM.com – has now celebrated our tenth anniversary.
Learn more about our evolutionary journey as the industry’s leading trade media, at the report linked below.
· For expert manufactured housing business development or other professional services, click here.
· To sign up in seconds for our industry leading emailed headline news updates, click here.
Disclosure. MHProNews holds no positions in the stocks in this report.
“We Provide, You Decide.” © ## (News, analysis and commentary.)
(Image credits and information are as shown above, and when provided by third parties, are shared under fair use guidelines.)
Submitted by Soheyla Kovach, co-managing member of LifeStyle Factory Homes, LLC and co-founder for MHProNews.com, and MHLivingNews.com.
Connect with us on LinkedIn here and here.