The deadline for comments requested by the White House Council on Eliminating Regulatory Barriers to Affordable Housing is now 3 days out. Comments are due 01/31/2020 at 11:59 pm, per the Federal Register website. Comments can be submitted online using their form at this link here.
Why does it matter? Because associations and businesses alike agree that manufactured housing is being limited by artificial zoning barriers. The White House and HUD see the same thing too. With millions of affordable housing units needed in the U.S., it surely looks logical to take this opportunity to sound off. That will be our featured focus this evening.
Periodic readers of this business-nightly feature should note there are new tweaks to some of the standard portions of our evening market/investing report. Read carefully as some changes of the ‘standard text’ that follows before our left-right headlines and also in other features near the end of tonight’s reports.
Every evening our headlines that follow provide snapshots from two major media outlets on each side of the left-right news spectrum that reflect topics that influence or move investor sentiment. In moments on this business evening report, you can get ‘insights-at-a-glance.’
This report also sets the broader context for manufactured housing markets, in keeping with our mantra, “News through the lens of manufactured homes and factory-built housing” ©.
We begin with headlines left-of-center CNN followed by right-of-center Fox Business. We share closing tickers and other related data courtesy of Yahoo Finance, and more. 5 to 10 minutes reading this MHProNews market report every business night could save you 30 minutes to an hour of similar reading or fact-gathering elsewhere.
Perhaps more important, you will get insights about the industry from experts that care, but also dare to challenge the routine narrative that arguably keeps manufactured housing underperforming during an affordable housing crisis.
Headlines from left-of-center CNN Business
- iPhone sales on the mend
- CUPERTINO, CALIFORNIA – SEPTEMBER 10: Apple CEO Tim Cook announces the new iPhone 11 as he delivers the keynote address during a special event on September 10, 2019 in the Steve Jobs Theater on Apple's Cupertino, California campus. Apple unveiled new products during the event.
- Apple posts record quarter as iPhone sales make a comeback
- United Airlines suspends some flights between US and China as coronavirus spreads
- These American brands have the biggest exposure to China’s economy
- Facebook, Ford and other companies ban China travel
- Jimmy Kimmel ditched his studio audience for a somber tribute to Kobe
- Kobe Bryant leaves behind a business empire
- This grocery store wanted to compete with Whole Foods. Now it’s bankrupt
- McDonald’s new CEO makes his public debut
- Harley-Davidson has a big problem
- Renault tries to move past Carlos Ghosn by hiring an outsider as CEO
- Ben Smith is leaving BuzzFeed for the New York Times
- Washington Post criticized for suspending reporter over Kobe Bryant tweets
- State Department still silent after dropping NPR reporter from Pompeo trip
- MacKenzie Bezos dumped a ton of Amazon stock
- Atari is opening its own hotels in eight US cities
- An employee wears shirt reading “Heal. It’s Legal” while helping a customer select marijuana strains at the MedMen dispensary in West Hollywood, California, U.S., on Tuesday, Jan. 2, 2018. California launched legal marijuana Monday, and customers lined up to celebrate the historic moment in San Diego, Sacramento and Oakland — some of the municipalities given the green light to start sales on January 1. Meantime, in Los Angeles and San Francisco, the state’s first- and fourth-largest cities, customers were turned away empty handed.
- One of the biggest names in cannabis is falling behind in paying vendors
- HUAWEI’S 5G PLANS
- Engineers from EE the wireless network provider owned by BT Group Plc, inspect Huawei Technologies Co. 5G equipment overlooking St. Paul’s Cathedral during trials in the City of London, U.K., on Friday, March 15, 2019. Europe would fall behind the U.S. and China in the race to install the next generation of wireless networks if governments ban Chinese equipment supplier Huawei Technologies Co. over security fears, according to an internal assessment by Deutsche Telekom AG.
- Huawei just dodged a bullet in the UK. Europe is the next showdown
- UK defies US over wireless network plan
- Huawei CEO: We can survive a fight with the US
- Apple won’t overtake Huawei in China anytime soon
- Huawei gets a green light from India for 5G trials
- FAST FOOD WARS
- McDonald’s is adding two new sandwiches to its breakfast menu
- Why chicken sandwiches are taking over America
- Snoop Dogg made a sandwich for Dunkin’
- The chicken sandwich wars are here
- Taco Bell’s answer to the chicken sandwich wars
Headlines from right-of-center Fox Business
- Markets rebound as investors look past deadly virus outbreak, focus on earnings
- S. equity markets rebounded, recouping from a major selloff in the previous session, as investors looked past the coronavirus outbreak.
- Deadly coronavirus to hammer economy as hard as SARS did, experts predict
- Drugmaker reveals when it may have cure for coronavirus
- Medical mask shortage prompts 3M, Honeywell response amid increased production
- Apple iPhone demand fuels record holiday sales, but coronavirus fears loom
- Why Trump chose this New Jersey town for tonight’s ‘Keep America Great’ rally
- Satellites on crash course over this state, could collide very soon, tracker warns
- San Francisco 49ers CEO says Super Bowl triumph would be ‘big win’ for business
- WATCH: Hyundai teases Super Bowl ad with stars from ‘The Office’ and ‘SNL’
- Politicians need to realize they can’t be pro-jobs and anti-business at the same time
- McDonald’s dives into chicken sandwich wars as demand continues to explode
- Harvey Weinstein reportedly hit with hotel cleaning fee after trashing room
- ‘MARIJUANA AND ICE CREAMS’
- Harvey Weinstein reportedly hit with hotel cleaning fee after trashing room
- College testing student-tracking tech to boost attendance, target individuals
- Prince Andrew under intensifying pressure to help feds with Epstein probe
- Top professor arrested for lying about working for Chinese government
- FDA sends hand sanitizer brand Purell strict warning about Ebola, flu claims
- Passenger: United Airlines agent stopped me for my ‘revealing’ shirt
- Varney rips CNN’s Don Lemon for mocking Trump supporters
- Kobe’s quiet business move to support his daughter just before death
- Inside Kathy Ireland’s iconic Sports Illustrated cover, new novel ‘Fashion Jungle’
- WATCH: NASA to build first space destination with private rooms for rent
- Up in arms: North Carolina county weighs bold action on Second Amendment
- Celebrity clientele, loved ones pay tribute to pilot at controls of Kobe Bryant chopper
- Coronavirus mask shortage prompts 3M, Honeywell response
- Woman sues Universal Orlando for shock, resort blames her
- US budget deficit to break $1 trillion despite strong economy, CBO says
- Connecticut hedge funder hit with $10 million tax bill from New York
- Hyatt to open nearly 200 hotels in these hotspots
- Prices of Kobe Bryant merchandise surge after deadly helicopter crash
- Super Bowl LIV: NFL’s cheapest team takes on its most wealthy
- Fed auctioning off Porsches, Ferraris from racer turned felon
- Keystone XL: What’s next for the pipeline in South Dakota
- Lockheed Martin gets $2B boost from F-35 fighter jet
- IRS to give many Americans their biggest paycheck of the year
- Churchill Downs executive addresses surge in racing horse deaths
- Nike completely sold out of Kobe Bryant gear
- The final radio transmission from pilot before crash that killed Kobe Bryant, 8 others
- What to know for year two of the Trump tax plan
- NFL Twitter hacks: League cooperating with law enforcement
- Consumer confidence snaps back in January
- Pfizer sales fall on loss of drug exclusivity
- Xerox beats quarterly profit estimates, holds firm on HP buyout
- Chipotle to pay $1.4M fine to settle Mass. child labor violations
- Harvey Weinstein’s celebrity-linked rape trial picks up pace
- Hunter Biden agrees to cough up child support: Court papers
- Will Meghan Markle boost Canada’s fashion industry?
- Jeff Bezos, Lauren Sanchez at New York hot spots amid sexting scandal
- How much is Jennifer Aniston worth?
- Virginia House advances gun control measures
- Retirees’ top money regrets: Liz Weston
- Airbus to settle with investigators over fraud, bribery case
- New TikTok competitor Byte already filled with spam after launch
- Astronaut craves salsa and surf after record 11 months aloft
- MacKenzie Bezos sells some of her Amazon holdings
10 Market Indicator Closing Summaries – Yahoo Finance Closing Tickers on MHProNews…
Featured Focus – Where Business, Politics and Investing Meet
- Understand the dynamics behind the issues, which can be done in hours or days.
- Enforce existing laws, including the enhanced preemption provision and other aspects of the Manufactured Housing Improvement Act of 2000 (MHIA).
All other forms of affordable housing could require legislative or other fixes. On paper, manufactured housing has a tremendous advantage, because the laws needed to overcome the barriers for affordable manufactured housing already exists.
That almost sounds outrageous. But even MHI and their affiliates admit that point, even though they phrase it in a weak manner.
- Combat Zoning and Restrictive Land Ordinances – HUD must exercise its preemption authority when local regulatory construction standards and zoning, planning, or development policies adversely affect the placement of quality, affordable manufactured housing. In addition to enforcing HUD’s statutory preemption authority, the Department should work with states and local governments to address state and local discriminatory zoning and development restrictions, which make it nearly impossible to site manufactured homes…
Why would manufactured housing state association’s follow MHI’s lead in failing to use the words “enhanced preemption” when legislators in 2003 and again in 2012 made those words important in their oversight follow-up with HUD?
MHProNews’ L. A. “Tony” Kovach submitted comments that are link here and below.
MHARR’s comments are linked here and below.
MHProNews encourages all interested parties to submit comments. Tell your story. Others have done so “anonymously” – so that is an option. But if you feel secure, then use your name, as Tony Kovach and others have too.
One comment letter spotted was one sentence. Others are dozens of pages.
Millions of housing units are needed. Failing to “enforce the law” on “enhanced preemption” or the “Duty to Serve” and other existing laws are collectively an outrage. It costs professionals and investors a fortune. It keeps millions from owning an affordable manufactured home. Speak up before midnight 1.31.2020. Click on the image below or this link here to submit your comments.
White House Council on Eliminating Regulatory Barriers to Affordable Housing; Request for Information
Consistent with President Trump’s Executive Order 13878, “Establishing a White House Council on Eliminating Regulatory Barriers to Affordable Housing,” dated June 25, 2019, this document informs the public that HUD requests public comment on Federal, State, local, and Tribal laws, regulations,…
See the related reports for more.
Time Sensitive Reading = Consumers, Nonprofit Advocacy, Manufactured Home Professional Comments on HUD-White House RFI Reducing Regulatory Barriers, plus Manufactured Housing Headline Reports 1.19 to 1.26.2020
Manufactured Housing Industry Investments Connected Closing Equities Tickers
Some of these firms invest in manufactured housing, or are otherwise connected, but may do other forms of investing or business activities too.
- NOTE: The chart below includes the Canadian stock, ECN, which purchased Triad Financial Services, a manufactured home industry lender
- NOTE: Drew changed its name and trading symbol at the end of 2016 to Lippert (LCII).
MHProNews. MHProNews – previously a.k.a. MHMSM.com – has now celebrated our tenth anniversary.
Learn more about our evolutionary journey as the industry’s leading trade media, at the report linked below.
· For expert manufactured housing business development or other professional services, click here.
· To sign up in seconds for our industry leading emailed headline news updates, click here.
Disclosure. MHProNews holds no positions in the stocks in this report.
“We Provide, You Decide.” © ## (News, analysis and commentary.)
(Image credits and information are as shown above, and when provided by third parties, are shared under fair use guidelines.)
Submitted by Soheyla Kovach, co-managing member of LifeStyle Factory Homes, LLC and co-founder for MHProNews.com, and MHLivingNews.com.
Connect with us on LinkedIn here and here.