Manufactured housing has two active national trade groups. While both claim to be working to stop the implementation of what they each agree is a damaging and costly Department of Energy (DOE) manufactured housing energy rule, only the Manufactured Housing Association for Regulatory Reform (MHARR) has used or publicly discussed the need for legal action to stop the advancing federal process under the Biden Administration.
The following was provided by MHARR to MHProNews mid-afternoon on the last day in May.
MAY 31, 2022
TO: MHARR MANUFACTURERS
MHARR STATE AFFILIATES
MHARR TECHNICAL REVIEW GROUP (TRG)
RE: LATEST DEVELOPMENTS CONCERNING DOE
MANUFACTURED HOUSING ENERGY STANDARDS RULE
The final U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) energy conservation standards rule for HUD Code manufactured homes, initially announced on May 18, 2022, as reported by MHARR, has now been published in the May 31, 2022 edition of the Federal Register (see, copy attached). With the publication of the final rule, the clock now begins to run on direct industry action (as contrasted with indirect activity, see below) to seek its invalidation as well as related injunctive relief. Absent such court (or other) intervention, compliance with the DOE standards, based on the 2021 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC), will become mandatory as of May 31, 2023. While at present, there is no final – or proposed – enforcement structure or mechanism for the DOE standards, MHARR anticipates that proposed enforcement regulations will be published in advance of the May 31, 2023 compliance deadline.
MHARR reiterates its commitment to oppose the discriminatory, high-cost DOE energy standards rule via all reasonable means – a position that it has maintained consistently during the entire course of DOE’s baseless and illegitimate rulemaking process. Similarly, MHARR continues to urge the entire industry to explore all available avenues to invalidate the DOE standards, which would needlessly exclude millions of Americans from the manufactured housing market and from all of the benefits of homeownership. In this regard, MHARR has – and will continue to – analyze all potential means including, but not limited to, legal and other approaches, for the industry and its consumers to invalidate and stop this rule prior to its enforcement.
On a related matter, the U.S. Supreme Court, in a brief order entered on May 26, 2022, has denied the petition for relief filed by ten state governments in connection with federal agencies’ use of the so-called “updated” Social Cost of Carbon (SCC) construct in relation to rulemaking proceedings. MHARR, as reported previously, had filed an Amicus Curiae brief in that action, in support of the states’ appeal, based on DOE’s use of the SCC metric in connection with the proposed — and now final – manufactured housing energy standards rule. While the SCC litigation will continue in the Fifth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals, and could still potentially impact the DOE manufactured housing rule if the court ultimately sides with the states, MHARR will now direct all of its focus to relevant substantive and procedural aspects of the DOE manufactured housing energy standards final rule and action to enjoin that rule.
MHARR will continue to keep you updated regarding this important regulatory matter going forward.
cc: Other Interested HUD Code Industry Manufacturers, Retailers and Communities
Manufactured Housing Association for Regulatory Reform (MHARR)
1331 Pennsylvania Ave N.W., Suite 512
Washington D.C. 20004
Website: manufacturedhousingassociation.org ##
The Federal Register’s statement, referenced above and provided by MHARR, is linked here.
Additional Information, MHProNews Analysis and Commentary in Brief
History has numerous examples of lies and deception, some of which occurred on a large scale. Recall this classic report on misinformation found exclusively on MHProNews, but which was backed by evidence from a range of cited sources.
9.11.01 Untold Lessons – After 20 Years, Betrayal and Botched Policies Reveal Corporate-U.S. Politicos Polices Harm Most Americans of All Backgrounds, Facts, Figures, and Solutions – plus MH Market Updates
Students of authentic history, such as the examples shown above, realize that one of the troubling lessons of the past is this. Time and again, evidence makes clear that a lie told boldly enough, and repeated confidently enough will be believed by sizable numbers of people. A famous American made that observation, using his own words. His name? Abraham Lincoln. Those troubling but important insights? They apply to the DOE issue.
The Arlington, VA based Manufactured Housing Institute (MHI) says it opposes this rule now scheduled for implementation of the ‘costly’ and ‘damaging’ DOE manufactured housing energy rule. MHI admits it will harm businesses and consumers alike. MHI state affiliate Texas has said it will cost business. So, why aren’t MHI, Texas, or others stepping up to the plate to support MHARR’s call for a united industry-wide legal action to halt this measure? Especially when the delays to date in implementing this rule have come in part due to MHARR and/or legal efforts? The lack of consistency and logic at MHI, and their largely walking-in-lockstep state affiliates, is stunningly in your face once the various issues are understood.
It might appear stunning to those who actually believe MHI’s apparent posturing-for-effect on this issue to realize that one of their big 3 members, Cavco Industries, said not one word about the looming DOE energy issue during their recent earnings call. How can those disparities be reconciled? See the report linked below to learn more.
On the one hand, the DOE energy rule is a seemingly complex issue. But on the other hand, it can be boiled down to simple principles, at least from the perspective of manufactured home independents and consumers.
- Does the rule create more harm then claimed (and unproven) benefit? The answer from numerous voices to that is ‘yes.’
- Are there a rationale, common-sense arguments in response to the claims of the ‘special interests’ that are promoting this DOE energy rule? Yes.
- Given that MHI claims that they want to see this rule stopped, then why did they wait so long to launch legislation? Or why hasn’t MHI joined MHARR in using litigation?
- Perhaps most revealing of all, why has MHI and some of their key backers for years apparently helped the DOE advance this rule through the back door?
See the related reports to learn more about the answers to each of those questions.
Next up is our daily business news recap of yesterday evening’s market report, related left-right headlines, and manufactured housing connected equities.
The Business Daily Manufactured Home Industry Connected Stock Market Updates. Plus, Market Moving Left leaning CNN and Right-leaning (Newsmax) Headlines Snapshot. While the layout of this daily business report has been evolving over time, several elements of the basic concepts used previously are still the same. For instance. The headlines that follow below can be reviewed at a glance to save time while providing insights across the left-right media divide. Additionally, those headlines often provide clues as to possible ‘market-moving’ news items.
Market Indicator Closing Summaries – Yahoo Finance Closing Tickers on MHProNews…
Headlines from left-of-center CNN Business – from the evening of 5.31.2022
- The ‘casino’ is closed
- Pedestrians walk by the New York Stock Exchange, Wednesday, May 18, 2022 in New York.
- When it comes to stocks, it turns out the economy, earnings and valuations matter
- Joe Biden wants to show he’s in charge of inflation … while showing someone else is in charge
- Russia is about to shut off some of Germany’s gas
- How Scotts Miracle-Gro is reinventing itself as one of the biggest players in cannabis
- A corporate raider is coming after Hellmann’s and Dove
- Home prices rose by more than 20% year-over-year in March
- How to beat the market: Go ask a robot
- Stores have too much stuff. Get ready for discounts
- India shows no sign of slowing its purchase of Russia oil
- The ‘Great Reshuffling’ played a big part in pushing home prices higher
- Tesla should be worried about this electric luxury car
- ‘This is not the retirement I envisioned.’ Retirees are hurt by by inflation
- Summer 2022 preview: What to look forward to in media and entertainment
- The Sears logo is displayed on shopping carts outside of a Sears store on May 31, 2018 in Richmond, California.
- About 100 Sears Hometown stores are closing
- Tom Cruise plays Capt. Pete “Maverick” Mitchell in Top Gun: Maverick from Paramount Pictures, Skydance and Jerry Bruckheimer Films.
- ‘Top Gun: Maverick’ jets to new box office record
- Taco Bell is running out of Mexican Pizza
- The Kremlin’s towers and passers-by are seen reflected in the window of a closed McDonald’s restaurant in Moscow on May 16, 2022.
- McDonald’s new brand name in Russia could be ‘Fun and Tasty’
- Russia slashes interest rates
- Starbucks is leaving Russia for good
- China needs Russian coal. Moscow needs new customers
- US Energy Secretary blasts Russia for ‘weaponizing’ energy
- ELON MUSK
- Tesla and SpaceX Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk speaks at the SATELLITE Conference and Exhibition in Washington, Monday, March 9, 2020.
- Tesla CEO says it’s ‘dumb’ to call billionaires the bad guys
- Musk proves again that the rules don’t apply to him
- Elon Musk denies sexual harassment claims
- Hear Elon Musk’s plans for Trump’s Twitter ban
- Musk faced SEC questions over his timing in disclosing Twitter stake
Headlines from right-of-center Newsmax 5.31.2022
- Search Newsmax.com
- Breaking News
- Newsmax CEO Meets Zelenskyy, Interview Tonight 8pm ET!
- 3 Nations Join International Team Probing Russian War Crimes in Ukraine
- Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine has been widely condemned as an illegal act of aggression. Russian forces have been accused of killing civilians in the Kyiv suburb of Bucha and of repeated attacks on civilian infrastructure including hospitals and a theater in the besieged city of Mariupol that was being used as a shelter by hundreds of civilians. [Full Story]
- Russian Invasion of Ukraine
- OPEC Mulls Excluding Russia From Oil Production Deal: WSJ
- Ukraine Troops Hold Out as Russia Assaults Sievierodonetsk Wasteland
- Zelensky Warns Blockade of Ports Could Cause Worldwide Famine
- Ukraine’s Giant Seed Bank at Risk of Being Lost as War Rages
- Ukraine Has Identified 600 Russian War Crime Suspects
- Hungary’s Orban Wins Exemption in EU Russian Oil Embargo
- Russia Takes Small Cities, Aims to Widen East Ukraine Battle
- Ex-Amb. McFaul Slams Biden for Refusing Longer-Range Missiles to Ukraine
- Sievierodonetsk Mayor Says Russian Forces Seize Half of City
- Senior Ukraine Official: EU Sanctions on Russia Still ‘Not Enough’
- Ukrainian Court Sentences Two Russian Soldiers to Jail for War Crimes
- More Russian Invasion of Ukraine
- Newsmax TV
- Comer: Dems Will Try to Follow Trudeau on Gun Control | video
- Mace: DC Court Denied Durham Fair Day in Court on Sussman | video
- Burchett: Nothing Coming From Biden, Powell Meeting | video
- Fallon: Multipart Solutions Needed on Mass Shootings | video
- Paris Dennard: Biden Crises Inexcusable, His Doing | video
- Peter Navarro: COVID Mandates ‘Never Would Have Happened’ Under Trump | video
- Waltz: Focus on Health of the Community, Not Demonizing Guns | video
- Fallon: Must Do ‘Something Effective’ to Protect Children | video
- Newsmax’s Ruddy Meets Zelenskyy in Kyiv; Major Interview Tonight
- Newsmax CEO Christopher Ruddy met Tuesday in Kyiv with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy at his presidential offices…. [Full Story]
- Pediatric Suicide Attempts By Poisoning Rise Sharply
- The number of suspected suicide attempts by poisoning among children [Full Story]
- Biden Lauds Fed’s ‘Laser Focus’ on Inflation
- President Joe Biden, in his meeting with U.S. Treasury Secretary [Full Story]
- Russian Official Threatens US Destruction With Nuclear Missiles
- A pro-Kremlin member of Russia’s parliament warned the U.S. that [Full Story]
- Can America Win a Nuclear World War III Against Russia?
- Despite Russia’s vastly superior nuclear posture and capabilities and [Full Story] | Platinum Article
- Report: Majority of Borrowers Didn’t Make Student Loan Payments During Pandemic Freeze
- ‘Ultraliberal DC Jury’ Blasted for Biased Sussmann Verdict
- Special counsel John Durham thanked the Michael Sussmann jury for [Full Story] | video
- Expanded Background Checks Not ‘Common Sense’ Fix for Mass Shootings
- Democrats have ratcheted up their calls to pass “common sense” gun [Full Story] | Platinum Article
- Baby Formula Makers Ship Products to Restock US Shelves
- Global companies that make baby formula are bringing products into [Full Story]
- Tom Hanks Reveals the Queen’s Favorite Cocktail
- Tom Hanks has revealed what Queen Elizabeth II’s “cocktail of choice” [Full Story]
- Russian Soldiers Threaten to Kill Top General for Ordering Them to Front Line
- A phone call, intercepted by Ukrainian intelligence, reveals Russian [Full Story]
- Our Galaxy Contains Thousands of Alien Civilizations: Scientific Research
- There could be as many as 42,777 intelligent alien civilizations in [Full Story]
- Organization Claims Iran Upping Uranium Stockpiles Despite Deal
- In its quarterly report Monday, the United Nations International [Full Story]
- Harry and Meghan’s Popularity in UK Hits Record Low
- Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan Markle, are viewed negatively by [Full Story]
- US, China in Race to Develop Hypersonic Missiles
- The U.S. and China are in a race to develop hypersonic missiles, with [Full Story]
- Durham ‘Disappointed’; Thanks Team for ‘Seeking Truth’
- With Clinton campaign-tied attorney Michael Sussmann having been [Full Story] | video
- Zelenskyy Warns Blockade of Ukraine Could Cause Worldwide Famine
- There is a “threat of famine” on a worldwide scale due to Russia’s [Full Story]
- ‘Top Gun: Maverick’ Restores Taiwanese Flag on Star’s Jacket
- Before COVID-19, “Top Gun: Maverick” was taking flak for having [Full Story]
- Clinton Campaign Lawyer Acquitted of Lying to the FBI
- A lawyer for Hillary Clinton’s 2016 presidential campaign was [Full Story] | video
- House Weighs 8 New Gun Laws
- House Democrats want to move quickly on new gun laws in the wake of [Full Story]
- Tom Cotton Won’t Rule Out Run for WH in 2024
- Tom Cotton, R-Ark., doesnt say no when hes asked if hell run for [Full Story]
- Ukraine’s Giant Seed Bank at Risk of Being Lost as War Rages
- In underground vaults near Ukraine’s battlefields, the genetic code [Full Story]
- Parents ‘Overwhelmed’ by Stress, Experts Say
- The 63 million parents in the U.S. who have children younger than 18 [Full Story]
- Hungary’s Orban Wins Exemption in EU Russian Oil Embargo
- Hungary’s divisive leader has once again got his own way with the [Full Story]
- Border Patrol Agent Rushed to Uvalde School to Save Family
- Off-duty Border Patrol agent Jacob Albarado has recalled dashing to [Full Story]
- Home Prices Continued to Surge in March
- S. home prices continued to rise in March despite higher mortgage [Full Story]
- Over 30 Shot Dead Nationwide During Holiday Weekend
- More than 30 people were killed in shootings nationwide during the [Full Story]
- James Biden, Appearing Frequently in Hunter’s Emails, Denies He Is Family ‘Fixer’
- Even though James Biden is prominently featured in emails with his [Full Story]
- Texas Dem Wants Hearings on Uvalde Mass Shooting
- Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas, chair of the House Judiciary [Full Story]
- US Consumer Confidence Dips in May
- S. consumer confidence eased slightly in May as concerns about high [Full Story]
- Report: Biden White House Flailing Amid Low Poll Numbers, Crises
- A new report by NBC News reveals strife and frustration in the White [Full Story]
- New Military Grade Telescope Lets You See for Miles
- Baby Formula Makers Ship Products to Restock US Shelves
- Global companies that make baby formula are bringing products into the United States after the country’s health regulator relaxed its import policy to address a nationwide shortage partly triggered by Abbott Laboratories’ manufacturing plant in Michigan…. [Full Story]
- OPEC Mulls Excluding Russia From Oil-production Deal: WSJ
- US Offers ‘Comfort Letters’ to Expedite Russia Grain, Fertilizer Exports
- NY Couple in $4.5B Crypto Laundering Case Still in Plea Talks
- Global Regulators Push Ahead with Crypto Bank Capital Rules
- 6 Foods Proven to Help Ease Anxiety
- Anxiety disorders are among the most prevalent mental health illnesses in the United States, affecting 40 million adults over the age of 18, according to the National Alliance on Mental Illness. Anxiety disorders encompass phobias, generalized anxiety and social anxiety……. [Full Story]
- Combo Probiotic, Immunotherapy Treatment Reversed Peanut Allergy in Kids
- Study: Coffee, Even With a Little Sugar, Boosts Longevity
- Study Examines How CBD Impacts Driving
- High-Tech Temporary Heart Pacemaker Dissolves After Use
MHProNews has pioneered in our profession several reporting elements that keep our regular and attentive readers as arguably the best informed in the manufactured housing industry. Among the items shared after ‘every business day’ (when markets are open) is our left-right headline recap summary. At a glance in two to three minutes, key ‘market moving’ news items are covered from left-of-center CNN Business and right-of-center Newsmax. “We Provide, You Decide.” © Additionally, MHProNews provides expert commentary and analysis on the issues that others can’t or won’t cover that help explain why manufactured housing has been underperforming during the Berkshire era while an affordable housing crisis and hundreds of thousands of homeless in America rages on. These are “Industry News, Tips, and Views Pros Can Use” © features and others made and kept us the runaway #1 in manufactured housing trade publisher for a dozen years and counting.
Manufactured Housing Industry Investments Connected Equities Closing Tickers
Some of these firms invest in manufactured housing, or are otherwise connected, but may do other forms of investing or business activities too.
- NOTE: The chart below includes the Canadian stock, ECN, which purchased Triad Financial Services, a manufactured home industry lender
- NOTE: Drew changed its name and trading symbol at the end of 2016 to Lippert (LCII).
- NOTE: Deer Valley was largely taken private, say company insiders in a message to MHProNews on 12.15.2020, but there are still some outstanding shares of the stock from the days when it was a publicly traded firm. Thus, there is still periodic activity on DVLY.
Manufactured Home Communities (a.k.a. ‘Mobile Home Parks’ – SIC) – Exploring UMH Properties; Fellow Manufactured Housing Institute Member Yes! Communities Suits and Settlements; plus MH Markets Updates
‘Announcing!’ ‘Manufactured Community Owners’ Association of America’ ‘Finally Bringing Fight To Manufactured Home Community Sector of the Industry’ – plus Sunday Weekly Manufactured Housing Headlines Review
MHProNews. MHProNews – previously a.k.a. MHMSM.com – has celebrated our 11th year of publishing and have completed over a dozen years of serving the industry as the runaway most-read trade media.
Sample Kudos over the years…
It is now 12+ years and counting…
Learn more about our evolutionary journey as the industry’s leading trade media, at the report linked below.
· For expert manufactured housing business development or other professional services, click here.
· To sign up in seconds for our industry leading emailed headline news updates, click here.
Disclosure. MHProNews holds no positions in the stocks in this report.
That’s a wrap on this installment of “News Through the Lens of Manufactured Homes and Factory-Built Housing” © where “We Provide, You Decide.” © (Affordable housing, manufactured homes, stock, investing, data, metrics, reports, fact-checks, analysis, and commentary. Third-party images or content are provided under fair use guidelines for media.) (See Related Reports, further below. Text/image boxes often are hot-linked to other reports that can be access by clicking on them.)
By L.A. “Tony” Kovach – for MHProNews.
Tony earned a journalism scholarship along with numerous awards in history. There have been several awards and honors and also recognition in manufactured housing. For example, he earned the prestigious Lottinville Award in history from the University of Oklahoma, where he studied history and business management. He’s a managing member and co-founder of LifeStyle Factory Homes, LLC, the parent company to MHProNews, and MHLivingNews.com. This article reflects the LLC’s and/or the writer’s position and may or may not reflect the views of sponsors or supporters.