This report will be different than some recent ones in several respects. Among them is that this report will focus on manufactured housing market potential. To do that, third-party facts have been presented herein in a simple fashion so that industry professionals can see information for your business’ state(s) at a glance. That noted, MHProNews has periodically highlighted the point that the rate of homeownership in the United States is lower than in dozens of other countries. While homeownership increased in the U.S. during the Trump Administration, the overall rate of homeownership in America is lower today than in 2000. Yet part of the expressed purpose of the enactment of the Manufactured Housing Improvement Act of 2000 was to increase the rate of homeownership. Against that factual backdrop are the following data points.
Part I. The first part of this report will present the data collected monthly for the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) by the Institute for Building Technology & Safety (IBTS).
Institute for Building Technology & Safety
Shipments and Production Summary Report 08/01/2021 – 08/31/2021
|District of Columbia||0||0||0||0|
|THE ABOVE STATISTICS ARE PROVIDED AS A MONTHLY|
|SUBSCRIPTION SERVICE. REPRODUCTION IN PART OR|
|IN TOTAL MUST CARRY AN ATTRIBUTION TO IBTS, INC.|
|*District of Columbia||0||0||0||0|
|(*) THESE STATES HAVE FEWER THAN THREE PLANTS.|
|FIGURES ARE AGGREGATED ON FIRST LINE ABOVE|
|TOTALS TO PROTECT PROPRIETARY INFORMATION.|
Part II. The rate of homeownership in the U.S. by state in 2018, per Stewart Title Company’s blog.
Stewart observed that “No one factor determines overall state homeownership levels as is obvious in the table, but affordability is key.” They also said that: “Given transaction costs [i.e. real estate brokerage and other financing fees], if the stay at the current location is three years or less then renting may be a financially superior decision.”
The above is data from 2018, the same year that Scholastica “Gay” Cororaton published her seminal report on manufactured housing market data and related insights. Using her national averages, the majority of renting households could qualify – based on income – to buy a HUD Code manufactured home.
Ted C. Jones, Ph.D. on November 5, 2019 noted the following. “Not only is homeownership the key component of the American Dream, the home is the largest store of wealth for the majority of American families.” MHLivingNews shed additional light on that based upon research from Florida Atlantic University’s (FAU) Kenneth Johnson, Ph.D.
Part III. Additional Related Charts, By Sources as Shown
Part IV. What the Above Could Mean for Manufactured Housing
“Renters headed about 36% of the nation’s 122.8 million households in 2019, the last year for which the Census Bureau has reliable estimates,” said Pew Research on August 2, 2021. So that is about 44.2 million rental households.
Given that some 13 nations reportedly have 80 percent or higher rates of home ownership, there are reasonable reasons to believe that the U.S. could increase by some 15 points. That could mean some 41.66 percent of those 44.2 million rental households could become homeowners. That’s 18.41 million units. So, if manufactured housing production magically increased to 2 million a year (its never topped 700,000 in the pre-HUD Code era highwater mark), it would take over 9 years to achieve that level.
What’s needed to achieve such an outcome?
It could be summed up in effective P.E.P. Protect. Educate. Promote.
That in turn would mean a need to enforce good existing laws.
Few industries have the type of potential upside manufactured housing does.
This is the flip side of the reports such as the examples linked below. They are arguably evidence based explanations why manufactured housing has not been performing well since the start of the Berkshire Hathaway era of the industry.
A mother who is protesting issues in Loudon County VA said on Newsmax on 10.26.2021 this. If you make a mistake, admit it and then try to make it right. That’s arguably the minimum that MHI’s leaders should do. Admit past errors, and earnestly pivot. The industry’s best days could be ahead, but only if common sense and authentic efforts to grow manufactured housing are put into place.##
Next up is our business daily recap of yesterday evening’s market report, related left-right headlines, and manufactured housing connected equities.
The Business Daily Manufactured Home Industry Connected Stock Market Updates. Plus, Market Moving Left (CNN) – Right (Newsmax) Headlines Snapshot. While the layout of this daily business report has been evolving over time, several elements of the basic concepts used previously are still the same. For instance. The headlines that follow below can be reviewed at a glance to save time while providing insights across the left-right media divide. Additionally, those headlines often provide clues as to possible ‘market-moving’ news items.
Market Indicator Closing Summaries – Yahoo Finance Closing Tickers on MHProNews…
Headlines from left-of-center CNN Business – from the evening of 10.26.2021
- ANALYSIS Wall Street sends a clear message to Facebook
- Its history is littered with scandals. This one could change everything.
- HIGHLIGHTS Whistleblower testifies in the UK
- Testimony: Haugen says Facebook has a ‘huge weak spot’ when it comes to reporting issues up the chain
- Memos: Facebook’s own research showed they should fact-check politicians. Instead, they let them lie.
- Context: What are the Facebook Papers?
- Warned: Facebook staff this weekend were told to brace for “more bad headlines”
- Whistleblower: Facebook views safety as a cost center instead of growth center
- Facebook knew it was being used to incite violence in Ethiopia. It did little to stop the spread, documents show
- Former Facebook employee speaks to CNN
- Opinion: Don’t change your name — change your CEO
- Facebook to hire 10,000 people in EU to build the ‘metaverse’
- The Facebook logo is displayed during the F8 Facebook Developers conference on April 30, 2019 in San Jose, California.
- Abused and exploited: Facebook has a human trafficking problem
- Revealed: How Facebook promoted QAnon to a ‘North Carolina mom’
- Instagram promoted pages glorifying eating disorders to teen accounts
- Backstory: How a LinkedIn message paved the way for ‘The Facebook Files’
- Banned: The sale of protected Amazon rainforest land is now prohibited on Marketplace
- These Trump supporters would rather go to ‘Facebook jail’ than stop sharing misinformation
- Stelter on Facebook: Months of scandal, then a name change?
- Opinion: These revelations are shocking. But nothing will change until Congress acts
- Here’s how to spot misinformation online
- Tech billionaire: Facebook is what’s wrong with America
- Algorithms made Facebook a success. Can they also fix it?
- Here’s how to delete your Facebook account
- $1 trillion company
- The logo marks the showroom and service center for the US automotive and energy company Tesla in Amsterdam on October 23, 2019. (Photo by JOHN THYS / AFP) (Photo by JOHN THYS/AFP via Getty Images)
- Tesla became the 6th company in US history to reach the landmark
- The Dow and S&P 500 hit record highs as Tesla stock electrifies
- Companies may be free from Biden’s proposed 28% corporate tax rate. Here’s why
- Oil surpasses $85 for the first time in seven years
- $24 billion in goods is floating outside California’s biggest ports
- China says it will cut fossil fuel consumption to 20% by 2060
- Evergrande wants to build electric cars, not homes
- Visualizing California’s stunning shipping gridlock
- PayPal says it’s not looking to buy Pinterest
- Everything is still getting more expensive
- Hertz is buying 100,000 Teslas
- Shiba inu coin, a meme cryptocurrency, hits all-time high
- Trump SPAC skyrockets as much as 1,657% since deal was announced
- ‘Dune’ caps off solid month for movie theaters with strong opening
- Content by Quicken Loans
- Recalculate your new house payment
- MORE TOP STORIES
- Jeff Bezos wants to build a tourism space station nearly as big as the ISS
- During a search of Lori Ann Talens’ home, agents found thousands of counterfeit coupons, rolls of coupon paper, and coupon designs for more than 13,000 products on her computer.
- Extreme couponers were sent to prison in $31.8 million fraud scheme
- This photo taken on August 4, 2020 shows Prince, a member of the hacking group Red Hacker Alliance who refused to give his real name, using his computer at their office in Dongguan, China's southern Guangdong province. – From a small, dingy office tucked away in an industrial city in southern China, one of China’s last “volunteer hacker” groups maintains a final outpost in its patriotic hacking war. The erroneous mention[s] appearing in the metadata of this photo by NICOLAS ASFOURI has been modified in AFP systems in the following, we removed the HOLD HOLD HOLD in the main caption. Please immediately remove the erroneous mention[s] from all your online services and delete it (them) from your servers. If you have been authorized by AFP to distribute it (them) to third parties, please ensure that the same actions are carried out by them. Failure to promptly comply with these instructions will entail liability on your part for any continued or post notification usage. Therefore we thank you very much for all your attention and prompt action. We are sorry for the inconvenience this notification may cause and remain at your disposal for any further information you may require.
- Russian group that hacked SolarWinds is still attacking America’s computer networks
Headlines from right-of-center Newsmax – evening of 10.26.2021
- Biden FEMA Denies Texas Appeal for Border Crisis Emergency Funds
- The Biden administration refused Gov. Greg Abbott’s appeal that the federal government reimburse Texas for millions of dollars spent responding to the migrant crisis at the southern border. [Full Story]
- Related Stories
- 2,000 Migrants Continue Trek Through Southern Mexico
- Unprecedented 125K Unaccompanied Children Have Shown Up at Border Under Biden
- Fallon to Newsmax: Democrats to Blame for Ongoing Migrant Surge
- Newsmax TV
- Fallon: Democrats to Blame for Ongoing Migrant Surge | video
- Hinson: Administration ‘Turned a Blind Eye’ to Border | video
- Dershowitz: Justices ‘Good and Decent’ But Still ‘Political’ | video
- Texas AG ‘Hopeful’ Supreme Court Will Recognize His State’s Authority to Protect Life | video
- Fitzgerald: AG Garland Ducked GOP Questions
- Yair Netanyahu: ‘Outrageous’ to Reopen Jerusalem Consulate | video
- Trump Jr.: Fauci, Collins Will Blame Others for Gain-of-Function ‘Lies’ | video
- Blackburn: Legislation Protects Workers From Biden Mandate | video
- More Newsmax TV
- Biden’s Approval Ratings Average Sinks to New Low
- President Joe Biden still has some favorable polls backing his administration amid struggles, but the average of the polls by analyst FiveThirtyEight has the president’s approval rating average hitting new a low…… [Full Story]
- Related Stories
- Rasmussen Poll: Only 30% View AG Merrick Garland Favorably
- Stocks Tick Further into Record Heights on Wall Street
- Wall Street notched some more record highs on Monday as a [Full Story]
- COVID Cases Falling, but Trouble Signs Arise as Winter Looms
- Tumbling COVID-19 case counts have some schools around the U.S. [Full Story]
- Trump Hits Fox for Running Pro-Democrat Ads
- Former President Donald Trump on Sunday slammed Fox News for running [Full Story]
- Fox’s Chris Wallace Praises Psaki: ‘One of Best Press Secretaries’
- State Dept. Tested Diplomats For ‘Directed Energy Exposure’ Years Before Telling Congress
- The State Department was looking at directed-energy weapons as a [Full Story]
- Enes Kanter Doubles Down on China Slam, Putting NBA in Awkward Spot
- Beijing is once again seething due to a tweet from a high-profile NBA [Full Story] | platinum
- 2 Border Agents Fired for Offensive Facebook Posts
- Two Border Patrol agents were fired from among 60 found to have [Full Story]
- Biden vs. His White House on Taiwan
- For the second time in two months – and just days after news broke [Full Story] | platinum
- ‘Brain Fog’ Continues Long-Term for Many Recovering From COVID
- Even months after beating COVID-19, many people still suffer memory [Full Story]
- Fauci: Vaccines for Kids Ages 5 to 11 Likely Available Next Month
- Vaccines for kids between the ages of 5 and 11 will likely be [Full Story]
- Moderna’s COVID-19 Vaccine Protective, Safe in Young Children
- Merck Asks EU to Authorize COVID Treatment Pill
- Turkey’s Erdogan Lifts Threat to Expel Western Ambassadors
- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan late Monday stepped back from [Full Story]
- US Patience With Iran ‘Wearing Thin’ on Nuclear Talks
- The Biden administration said Monday that diplomatic efforts to get [Full Story]
- Fox Weather Channel to Embrace Climate Change
- Fox Weather, the new 24-hour sister network of Fox News, is launching [Full Story]
- Biden FEMA Denies Texas Appeal for Border Crisis Emergency Funding
- The Biden administration refused Gov. Greg Abbott’s appeal that the [Full Story]
- 2,000 Migrants Continue Trek Through Southern Mexico
- More than 2,000 mostly Central American migrants walked along a [Full Story]
- State Department Creates Positions to Combat International Cybersecurity Threats
- The State Department is responding to international cyber threats [Full Story]
- Biden Education Department Warns Florida Over Defunding School Districts
- The U.S. Department of Education on Monday sent a letter to Florida [Full Story]
- US Details New International COVID-19 Travel Requirements
- Two weeks before a new vaccination requirement kicks in for most [Full Story]
- US Embassy Tells Americans in Sudan to ‘Shelter in Place’
- Due to the coup in Sudan, the U.S. Embassy in Khartoum on Monday [Full Story]
- Washington Post Issues Correction on ‘Let’s Go Brandon’ Chant
- The Washington Post was forced to issue a correction on a story that [Full Story]
- Biz Groups Ask Delay Of Biden Vax Mandate Until After Holidays
- Business groups are asking the Biden administration to delay its [Full Story]
- Georgia Gov. Kemp: Abrams Should Not Have Injected Politics in Baseball
- It was “ridiculous to inject politics into sports” earlier this when [Full Story]
- Hostage Families to Biden: ‘Bring Our Fellow Americans Home’
- Relatives of more than two dozen American hostages and wrongful [Full Story]
- Judge: Pablo Escobar’s Cocaine Hippos Legally ‘People’
- The offspring of hippos once owned by Colombian drug kingpin Pablo [Full Story]
- Rasmussen Poll: Only 30 Percent View AG Merrick Garland Favorably
- More likely voters have an unfavorable than favorable impression of [Full Story]
- Dem Rep. Brown Announces He’s Leaving House to Run for Maryland AG
- Anthony Brown, D-Md., announced Monday he’ll run for attorney [Full Story]
- Kerry Holds $1M Stake in Chinese Equity Fund Linked to Rights Abuses
- Biden administration climate czar John Kerry holds a $1 million stake [Full Story]
- Florida Surgeon General Refuses to Wear Mask at State Senate Office
- Florida Surgeon General Dr. Joseph Ladapo was asked to leave State [Full Story]
- Hawley: AG Garland Must Step Down Over Call to Investigate Parents
- Josh Hawley Monday called for Attorney General Merrick Garland’s [Full Story]
- Parts of Northern China in Lockdown as COVID Spreads
- Chinese authorities across the northern region of the country are [Full Story]
- Hertz Orders 100,000 Teslas
- Hertz on Monday announced an order of 100,000 Tesla Inc cars, taking [Full Story]
- More Newsfront
- Desperate for Employees, US Businesses Struggle to Hire
- To keep the taps at his recently opened beer tasting room flowing, Peter Chekijian had no choice but to ask his main employees to come in seven days per-week.The staffing shortage has also kept Chekijian from realizing his goal of brewing beer on site, since he can’t find… [Full Story]
- A ‘V’, ‘K’- or a ‘Z’-Shaped Recovery?
- Cryptocurrencies Post Record Inflows in Latest Week
- NTSB Chair Wants Tesla to Limit Where Autopilot Can Operate
- Busler: Biden Taxes in $3.5T Bill Would Stagnate Economy
- More Finance
- What Side Effects Can You Expect After a Booster Shot?
- A month ago, the Food and Drug Administration authorized specific populations to be eligible for the Pfizer COVID-19 booster. On Thursday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommended that certain individuals are eligible for booster shots of all three… [Full Story]
- Vaccinated People Less Likely to Die of Any Cause: Study
- Pancreatic Cancer Cases Rising in Young Women
- Moderna’s COVID-19 Vaccine Protective, Safe in Young Children
- Implant for Chronic Eye Disorder Wins FDA Approval
Manufactured Housing Industry Investments Connected Equities Closing Tickers
Some of these firms invest in manufactured housing, or are otherwise connected, but may do other forms of investing or business activities too.
- NOTE: The chart below includes the Canadian stock, ECN, which purchased Triad Financial Services, a manufactured home industry lender
- NOTE: Drew changed its name and trading symbol at the end of 2016 to Lippert (LCII).
- NOTE: Deer Valley was largely taken private, say company insiders in a message to MHProNews on 12.15.2020, but there are still some outstanding shares of the stock from the days when it was a publicly traded firm. Thus, there is still periodic activity on DVLY.
MHProNews. MHProNews – previously a.k.a. MHMSM.com – has celebrated our 11th year of publishing, and is starting our 12th year of serving the industry as the runaway most-read trade media.
Sample Kudos over the years…
It is now 11+ years and counting…
Learn more about our evolutionary journey as the industry’s leading trade media, at the report linked below.
· For expert manufactured housing business development or other professional services, click here.
· To sign up in seconds for our industry leading emailed headline news updates, click here.
Disclosure. MHProNews holds no positions in the stocks in this report.
That’s a wrap on this installment of “News Through the Lens of Manufactured Homes and Factory-Built Housing” © where “We Provide, You Decide.” © (Affordable housing, manufactured homes, stock, investing, data, metrics, reports, fact-checks, analysis, and commentary. Third-party images or content are provided under fair use guidelines for media.) (See Related Reports, further below. Text/image boxes often are hot-linked to other reports that can be access by clicking on them.)
By L.A. “Tony” Kovach – for MHProNews.
Tony earned a journalism scholarship along with numerous awards in history. There have been several awards and honors and also recognition in manufactured housing. For example, he earned the prestigious Lottinville Award in history from the University of Oklahoma, where he studied history and business management. He’s a managing member and co-founder of LifeStyle Factory Homes, LLC, the parent company to MHProNews, and MHLivingNews.com. This article reflects the LLC’s and/or the writer’s position, and may or may not reflect the views of sponsors or supporters.