On January 25, 2021, the left-of-center AP reported that Dominion Voting Systems had sued pro-Trump attorney Sidney Powell and Trump legal team attorney Rudy Giuliani for $1.3 billion in damages over claims of voter fraud related to the 2020 election.
Fast forward to 2.4.2021 and left-of-center CNN, left-of-center CNBC and others in media reported that “Voting software company Smartmatic on Thursday filed a $2.7 billion libel suit against Fox News, three Fox hosts, and the lawyers Rudy Giulani and Sidney Powell over what the firm said are knowingly false claims about former President Donald Trump’s election loss.”
The roughly 285-page lawsuit by Smartmatic against Fox, Giuliani, Powell et al is linked here as a download.
CNBC’s take on a related matter is shown in the video above. Pro-Trump sources have opined that this legal action is part of a broader pattern of “Establishment” or Corporate Oligarchs and their media, tech, and political allies efforts to punish the 45th President of the United States (POTUS), as well as his backers in a fashion that would deter others from ever considering a similar challenge. Or as progressive journalist Glenn Greenwald – not a Trumpster – said it this way.
For the growing numbers of new readers, a few quick evening/nightly market report insights.
- Every business evening, MHProNews provides a bullet list of left-right news headlines from CNN and in a matter of moments, savvy professionals can see at a glance news headlines and views across the political spectrum.
- This is a time saving and insightful way to quickly grab insights from across the left-right divide for those who are hooked on this market-nightly feature.
- Our featured focus follows the quotable quotes, periodic political cartoons, those left-right headlines, and two of our three market summary graphics as reported at the closing bell.
- After the featured focus, are some recent/related report links and the third manufactured housing focused stock equities graphic. There are some additional items that include the free signup for the manufactured housing industry’s x2 weekly emailed news to the most-read trade publication in our profession:
On a day that saw most manufactured home connected equities rise, let’s press ahead toward those other business-nightly features.
Quotes That Shed Light – Industry, American, Social, National Issues…
Headlines from left-of-center CNN Business
- A startup under fire
- Co-founder and co-CEO of Robinhood Vladimir Tenev speaks onstage during TechCrunch Disrupt NY 2016 at Brooklyn Cruise Terminal on May 10, 2016 in New York City.
- Robinhood CEO Vlad Tenev is not licensed by a powerful Wall Street regulator
- ‘Stop f—ing selling!!!’ WallStreetBets Redditors go ballistic over GameStop’s sinking share price
- High-speed trading firm linked to Robinhood is going to war with the SEC
- Opinion: History shows the GameStop saga won’t end well
- As Jeff Bezos steps down, Amazon stakes its future on the cloud
- Analysis: Bezos leaves behind a company that’s created value but has also triggered a national reckoning
- The US economy is quietly improving after a tough end to 2020
- Elon Musk tweeted. Dogecoin surged more than 50%
- The pandemic has devastated restaurants. These people are opening new ones anyway
- Oil companies are rapidly dividing into two camps. The stakes are high
- Trump’s private bankers left Deutsche Bank over a real estate deal
- How to save money on streaming
- The New York Times had a record-setting year in 2020
- Content by LendingTree
- Can you refinance with $0 out of pocket?
- Voting technology company Smartmatic files $2.7 billion lawsuit against Fox News, Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell
- Read the 300-page lawsuit
- A VW worker works on an ID.3. Production of the electric model has officially begun at Volkswagen's Transparent Factory on January 29, 2021 in Dresden, Germany. VW is now producing only electric vehicles at the Zwickau and Dresden sites with the ID.3 and ID.4 models.
- Automakers are going green to save money, not just the planet
- An aerial view of Raymond James Stadium ahead of Super Bowl LV on January 31, 2021 in Tampa, Florida.
- Super Bowl LV will be a bonanza for gambling companies
- ONLINE SHOPPING
- Here’s what really happens to the items you return online
- Chipotle is testing curbside pickup
- Walmart’s latest strategy to get items to you faster
- Spending more on DoorDash? This fee may be why
- Got a package you didn’t order? It could be a scam
- FOOD AND DRINK
- Meal kits and buckets of bubble tea: How KFC’s owner is pivoting in China
- Peeps will return for Easter after 9-month hiatus
- Here’s when McDonald’s Shamrock Shake returns
- New in fast food: Chicken sandwiches and cauliflower rice
- 2021 just got worse: There’s a Grape-Nuts shortage
Headlines from right-of-center Newsmax
- Trump Won’t Testify in ‘Unconstitutional’ Senate Impeachment Trial: Lawyers
- The former president’s lawyers, responding to a letter asking Trump to testify next week, wrote, “The use of our Constitution to bring a purported impeachment proceeding is much too serious to try to play these games.”
- The Biden Presidency
- Pompeo: China Sending ‘Message’ to Biden With Sanctions on Trump Officials
- Biden Delays Trump Rule That Weakened Wild Bird Protections
- Biden to Raise Refugee Cap to 125,000
- Biden Says US Set to Work With China When It Is in Our Interest
- Romney Floats Monthly Payments to Families With Children
- US Envoy Wood: Biden to Pursue Arms Control, Seeks to Engage China
- Biden to Visit State Dept. as US Reengages With Allies
- House Impeachment Managers Ask Trump to Testify Under Oath
- House impeachment managers are asking former President Donald Trump to provide testimony under oath about his conduct before the violent breach of the Capitol in rioting on Jan. 6…
- BBC: Chinese Concentration Camp Victims Are Raped, Tortured
- Uighur Muslims, Kazakhs, and other ethnic minorities who have
- Mike Lindell Says Newsmax ‘Is Great,’ MyPillow Soars Despite Boycotts
- MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell was back on Newsmax TV on “Rob Schmitt”
- Medical Journal Editor: Govts Guilty of COVID ‘Social Murder’
- Politicians around the world must be held accountable for the “social
- World Faces Around 4,000 COVID-19 Variants as Britain Explores Mixed Vaccine
- Study: Oxford/AstraZeneca Vaccine Cuts Virus Transmission
- Study: Adults Age 20 to 49 Are COVID-19 Super Spreaders
- UK Virus Variant Develops Concerning New Mutation
- Part III: Russia Has Made EMP Threats
- The threat of Russia deploying an EMP attack on the U.S. isn’t a new
- Mike Pence Joining Heritage Foundation
- Former Vice President Mike Pence is joining The Heritage Foundation
- Biden to Freeze Trump-Ordered Withdrawal of US Troops From Germany
- President Joe Biden will freeze Donald Trump’s planned withdrawal
- Biden Sued by Trump Appointee Over Attempted Ousting
- A member of an administrative advisory board appointed by former
- Politico: California Gov. Newsom Recall Now ‘Unavoidable’
- The campaign to remove California Gov. Gavin Newsom from office has
- Hunter Biden Memoir Due in April
- Hunter Biden, son of President Joe Biden and an ongoing target
- Influencers Exposed! How They Fake Their Way to Fame
- A new documentary is revealing how social media personalities fake
- Watergate Burglar Eugenio Martinez Dies at 98
- Eugenio Martinez, the last surviving burglar of the five arrested at
- 80 Percent Jump in Gun Sales in January
- Gun sales surged last month, with the over 2 million firearms bought
- Jobless Claims in US Decrease for a Third Consecutive Week
- Applications for U.S. state unemployment benefits fell last week to
- Fake Accounts Gain Traction as They Praise China, Mock US
- A pro-China network of fake and imposter accounts found a global
- Tokyo 2020 Official Says 100 Percent Certain Olympics to Be Held
- A senior official for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, John Coates, said the
- Greene Regrets Past Statements on QAnon Conspiracy, 9/11
- Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga., on Thursday said she regretted
- Florida Speaker Sprowls to Newsmax TV: GOP Bill Will Fight Big Tech
- Florida Republicans are pushing back at social media and big
- Iran’s President Claims Big Victory in Bid to End Sanctions
- Iran’s president Thursday applauded a ruling by the International
- McKinsey Agrees to Pay $550M Opioid-Claim Settlement
- Jim Banks to Newsmax TV: ‘I Lose More Sleep’ Over China Under Biden
- China will resume growing as a great threat to the U.S.
- Jobless Claims in US Decrease for a Third Consecutive Week
- Applications for U.S. state unemployment benefits fell last week to the lowest level since the end of November, a sign that job cuts are starting to slow as COVID-19 infections ebb.
- CNN’s Zucker Sets Year-End Exit
- Department Stores Show New Signs of Life With Rare Sales Gain
- Yellen Wants to ‘Understand Deeply’ GameStop Frenzy Before Taking Action
- US Homebuyers Want to Live in Cities Just as Much as Suburbs
- Seniors Struggling to Get Vaccine Appointments
- Seniors Struggling to Get Vaccine Appointments
- Americans over the age of 65 are eligible for COVID-19 vaccines in numerous states, but trying to get them has become a nightmare for many. Some older citizens have had to travel hundreds of miles to get their shots, and others say even securing an appointment is…
- Bedside Manner Even More Important to ER Patients
- Healthy Super Bowl Snacks
- Study: Pot Helps Business Creativity
- Drugged Driving a Growing Threat
Market Indicator Closing Summaries – Yahoo Finance Closing Tickers on MHProNews…
Featured Focus –
Where Business, Politics and Investing Can Meet
Earlier today (2.4.2021) CNBC interviewed Senator Amy Klobuchar (MN-D) on her proposed “antitrust reforms.”
- Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., unveiled a sweeping antitrust reform bill on Thursday.
- Klobuchar’s proposed Competition and Antitrust Law Enforcement Reform Act sets a tough tone as she becomes chair of the Senate Judiciary subcommittee on antitrust.
- If enacted, the proposals could draw even more risk and scrutiny to large firms including Amazon, Apple, Facebook and Google.
Senator Klobuchar has been a frequent critic of what she and other lawmakers have viewed as lax enforcement of existing antitrust laws and has called for strong measures against some of the major tech firms.
“While she has introduced several bills in the past seeking reforms to various aspects of antitrust law, her Competition and Antitrust Law Enforcement Reform Act is a comprehensive proposal calling for a major revamping of policing standards. If enacted, it would bring significantly more risk to companies like Facebook and Google, which are already facing federal lawsuits, and to any dominant firm seeking to acquire another company.
With this bill, Klobuchar is drawing her line in the sand on antitrust reform, signaling that she will use her post to call for major changes to the status quo. Broadly, the bill seeks to reform antitrust law in three main ways: resetting the standard for enforcement and shifting the burden of proof onto dominant firms in merger cases; requiring agencies to study markets and merger effects regularly, with the help of additional funds; and giving new tools to antitrust enforcers, like imposing civil penalties.
Klobuchar said in an interview on CNBC’s “Squawk Box” on Thursday that antitrust enforcement isn’t about punishing success.
“When we talk about structural remedies and breaking things up, those companies would then be unleashed to do even more,” she said.
But to take on those large companies, government agencies need the money to do so.”
“You can’t take on trillion-dollar companies with Band-Aids and duct tape,” she said.”
What sounds good is not always what will happen, though.
As CNBC noted, Senator Klobuchar has raised this issue several times. So too has Senator Cory Booker (NJ-D) and others.
But what happened to that discussion during the race between Obama-era VP Biden and President Donald J. Trump? Why did the voices that aptly said this is a big deal largely go dark while they benefited from big tech putting their thumb on the scales of the 2020 race?
Time will tell if Senator Klobuchar’s bill advances, and if it will actually reign in tech, or will it be like Dodd-Frank that claimed to reign in big banks, but in fact protected them.
See the antitrust related reported above and more manufactured home industry specific ones below the quote from Congressman Devin Nunes (CA-R).
Related, Recent, and Read Hot Reports
Manufactured Housing Industry Investments Connected Closing Equities Tickers
Some of these firms invest in manufactured housing, or are otherwise connected, but may do other forms of investing or business activities too.
- NOTE: The chart below includes the Canadian stock, ECN, which purchased Triad Financial Services, a manufactured home industry lender
- NOTE: Drew changed its name and trading symbol at the end of 2016 to Lippert (LCII).
- NOTE: Deer Valley was largely taken private, say company insiders in a message to MHProNews on 12.15.2020, but there are still some outstanding shares of the stock from the days when it was a publicly traded firm. Thus, there is still periodic activity on DVLY.
MHProNews. MHProNews – previously a.k.a. MHMSM.com – has celebrated our 11th year of publishing, and is starting our 12the year of serving the industry as the runaway most-read trade media.
Sample Kudos over the years…
It is now 11 years and counting…and Williams, who praised our accuracy then said this.
Learn more about our evolutionary journey as the industry’s leading trade media, at the report linked below.
· For expert manufactured housing business development or other professional services, click here.
· To sign up in seconds for our industry leading emailed headline news updates, click here.
Disclosure. MHProNews holds no positions in the stocks in this report.
That’s a wrap on this installment of “News Through the Lens of Manufactured Homes and Factory-Built Housing” © where “We Provide, You Decide.” © (Affordable housing, manufactured homes, stock, investing, data, metrics, reports, fact-checks, analysis, and commentary. Third-party images or content are provided under fair use guidelines for media.) (See Related Reports, further below. Text/image boxes often are hot-linked to other reports that can be access by clicking on them.)
By L.A. “Tony” Kovach – for MHLivingNews.com.
Tony earned a journalism scholarship and earned numerous awards in history and in manufactured housing. For example, he earned the prestigious Lottinville Award in history from the University of Oklahoma, where he studied history and business management. He’s a managing member and co-founder of LifeStyle Factory Homes, LLC, the parent company to MHProNews, and MHLivingNews.com. This article reflects the LLC’s and/or the writer’s position, and may or may not reflect the views of sponsors or supporters.