While others in manufactured housing trade media – including those who publish as well as blog – routinely continue to ‘cheer lead’ for the Manufactured Housing Institute (MHI) and their ‘big boy’ backers, the factual evidence provides a different picture.
Their data dispels once more the false claim made by MHI in the last quarter of 2018 that the industry had “momentum.” Indeed, the argument can be made that they already realized that the industry was in a mild – and entirely avoidable – downturn.
While conventional housing in recent years has continued to surge, manufactured housing has struggled. That fact alone begs serious questions for investors, public officials, affordable housing advocates, and others.
In reading what follows in our featured focus segment further below tonight, new readers as well as thousands of long-term followers of MHProNews reports should bear in mind that manufactured housing has the benefit of two important 21st centuries laws. More on that in what follows.
Note that the featured focus segment follows the quotable quotes, left-right bulleted headline recap from CNN Money and Fox Business, and 2- of our 3-evening market summary graphics. The 3rd business-nightly graphic – manufactured home connected equities summary data for today – is found after the featured focus, related report links, near the end of each business evening’s column.
Quotes That Shed Light – American Social, Industry, National Issues…
Headlines from left-of-center CNN Business
- Oil prices are collapsing
- Dylan Stewart wears a rubber glove to pump gas at Costco Wholesale store gasoline station amid the global coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic, Friday, Aug. 21, 2020, in Burbank, Calif.
- Demand fears are rippling through the oil patch after Saudi Arabia sends an ominous signal
- JPMorgan investigates employees over potential misuse of PPP loans
- Nasdaq and Dow tumble as tech stocks remain under pressure
- SoftBank takes a $10 billion hit after being unmasked as Nasdaq ‘whale’
- Tesla, snubbed by the S&P 500, quickly completes $5 billion stock sale
- Uh-oh: The low and slow economic recovery is back
- Nikola CEO explains the competition with Tesla
- Apple could reveal the iPhone 12 next week
- TikTok is trying to remove a graphic suicide video
- Here’s how IBM plans to make the oil and gas industry smarter
- Colin Kaepernick returns to Madden as a playable character
- Postmates CEO: 3 ways Congress can ensure gig workers aren’t left out
- Colonizing Mars is dangerous and expensive. Elon Musk is trying anyway
- Peloton cuts the price of its most popular bike by 15%
- Canadian Airlines' Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner taxis on a runway after its landing at the International Airport in Vienna, Austria on a windy February 28, 2020. (Photo by Joe Klamar/AFP/Getty Images)
- Boeing discloses new flaw with 787 jet as problems mount
- Remote learning is costing parents a fortune
- Disney hit by backlash after thanking Xinjiang authorities in ‘Mulan’ credits
- This picture taken on April 16, 2015 shows two bull statues displayed outside the stock exchange in Hong Kong.
- Bottled water company founder is now China’s third-richest man
- Michael Bloomberg gives $100 million to HBCU grads
- MacKenzie Scott is now the world’s richest woman
- Elon Musk is the third richest person in the world
- Jeff Bezos is now worth a whopping $200 billion
- THE SUMMER OF THE RV
- Airstream Basecamp 20X.
- The latest trend in RV’ing: Getting way off the grid
- This $1.7M RV lets you go off the grid
- Walmart used to be a haven for RV parking
- Mercedes-Benz brings back the camper van
- RV sales and rentals boom
Headlines from right-of-center Fox Business
- COVID relief bill to extend PPP loans, target health care, education: Kudlow
- Larry Kudlow said he expects the Senate GOP’s latest coronavirus relief proposal to target small businesses, health care and education.
- Senate GOP’s SAFE TO WORK Act may be crucial point in stimulus talks
- McConnell’s GOP coronavirus relief package details revealed
- Vote-by-mail delays poised to roil markets with White House at stake
- Apple to hold event on Sept. 15; new products anticipated
- Apple iPad Air to be released shortly, reports say
- REAL ESTATE
- Nearly 1,000 people moving to this state every day to escape high taxes
- New York exodus accelerates amid pandemic as some residents head south
- DAVID ASMAN: New York’s mayor is turning city into Havana on the Hudson
- BILLION DOLLAR MAN
- Bezos tops Forbes 400 list for third straight year
- BOTTOM OF THE BARREL
- Oil prices tank as coronavirus slowdown worsens seasonal demand drop
- RETIREMENT PLAN
- Is it time for investors to ditch their 401(k)s?
- TESLA TANKS
- Electric car maker’s stock plunges after snub from S&P 500
- GROW YOUR SAVINGS
- PERSONAL FINANCE
- You’re probably not saving enough — here’s how to fix that
- CALIFORNIA BLACKOUTS
- PG&E kills power to thousands as wildfires rage on amid ‘critical’ risk
- NEXT GEN COST
- Microsoft confirms pricing of cheaper system, Xbox Series S
- BRING IN THE EXPERTS
- It’s time to secure your entire home network
- YOUR NEW ORDER?
- RICH & FAMOUS
- Rapper’s favorite meal hits menu as part of McDonald’s partnership
- Boeing flags additional 787 production problem
- Stephen Moore: Pelosi continues to hold up coronavirus relief
- Coca-Cola reveals plans to pivot from traditional commercials to streaming partnerships
- PERSONAL FINANCE
- Work from home tax deductions: What to know
- Antonio Sabato Jr. on move from Hollywood to Florida: ‘California is unlivable’
- Amazon bans plant seeds from China, other foreign sellers amid investigation
- Watch: Elon Musk test drives electric Volkswagen and says ‘it’s pretty good’
- Peloton launching cheaper treadmill, cutting bike price
- San Francisco keeps city-owned gyms open with private gyms still barred from reopening
- ‘Fortnite’ studio Epic Games announces more live concerts for players amid dispute with Apple, Google
- One-quarter of Americans say finances improved under Trump
- Coronavirus still throwing theme park attendance for a loop
- Scale model of futuristic ‘Flying V’ aircraft makes successful maiden flight
- Illegal Brooklyn bar shut down after cops find 281 people inside, including child
- Disney’s ‘Mulan’ catches backlash for filming in China’s Xinjiang Province amid human rights issues
- Trump eyes ‘decoupling’ from China
- General Motors to build Nikola Badger electric pickup
- Kevin Dobson, ‘Kojack’ and ‘Knots Landing’ actor, dead at 77
- Ships, aircraft fight new fire on oil tanker off Sri Lanka
- CARS + TRUCKS
- Watch: Electric Ford Mustang Cobra Jet 1400 loses drag race to gas-powered Mustang, but bests Chevy
- How much money do you really need to buy a house?
Market Indicator Closing Summaries – Yahoo Finance Closing Tickers on MHProNews…
Featured Focus –
Where Business, Politics and Investing Can Meet
First, the hard data, per the U.S. Census Bureau, covering the years 2014 to 2019.
|Cost & Size Comparisons:|
|New Manufactured Homes and New Single-Family Site-Built Homes|
|New Manufactured Homes|
|Avg. Sales Price||$ 81,900||$ 78,500||$ 71,900||$ 70,600||$ 68,000||$ 65,300|
|Avg. Square Feet||1,448||1,438||1,426||1,446||1,430||1,438|
|Avg. Cost per Sq. Ft.||$ 56.56||$ 54.59||$ 50.42||$ 48.82||$ 47.55||$ 45.41|
|Avg. Sales Price||$ 53,200||$ 52,400||$ 48,300||$ 46,700||$ 45,600||$ 45,000|
|Avg. Square Feet||1,072||1,072||1,087||1,075||1,092||1,115|
|Avg. Cost per Sq. Ft.||$ 49.63||$ 48.88||$ 44.43||$ 43.44||$ 41.76||$ 40.36|
|Avg. Sales Price||$ 104,000||$ 99,500||$ 92,800||$ 89,500||$ 86,700||$ 82,000|
|Avg. Square Feet||1,747||1,747||1,733||1,746||1,713||1,710|
|Avg. Cost per Sq. Ft.||$ 59.53||$ 51.26||$ 53.55||$ 51.26||$ 50.61||$ 47.95|
|Housing Starts vs. MH Shipments|
|(Thousands of units)|
|New Single Family|
|Percent of Total||90%||90%||90%||91%||91%||91%|
|Manufactured Home Shipments|
|Percent of Total||10%||10%||10%||9%||9%||9%|
|Site-Built Homes Sold|
|(Home and Land Sold as Package)|
|Avg. Sales Price||$ 383,900||$ 385,000||$ 384,900||$ 360,900||$ 352,700||$ 347,700|
|Derived Average Land Price||$ 84,485||$ 87,253||$ 91,173||$ 82,491||$ 80,246||$ 84,444|
|Price of Structure|
|Avg. Square Feet||2,518||2,602||2,645||2,650||2,724||2,707|
|Avg. Price per Sq Ft. (excl. land)||$ 118.91||$ 114.43||$ 111.05||$ 105.06||$ 100.02||$ 97.25|
|Manufactured Home Shipments|
|New Manufactured Homes Placed|
|(for Residential Use)|
|Located in Communities||31%||37%||32%||34%||34%||33%|
|Located on Private Property||69%||63%||68%||66%||66%||67%|
|Titled as Personal Property||76%||77%||76%||77%||80%||80%|
|Titled as Real Estate||19%||17%||17%||17%||14%||13%|
|1 Includes manufactured homes with more than two sections.|
|Source: These data are produced by the U.S. Commerce Department’s Census Bureau from a survey|
|sponsored by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.|
Additional Information, MHProNews Analysis, and Commentary
Last week, the manufactured housing industry year-to-date through July 2020 data was published by this trade media outlet. That report is linked below. That data found via that linked report is likewise juxtaposed with conventional housing and other relevant data. The facts above and below point to evidence why manufactured housing should be roaring, not snoring. Are we to believe that educated, seasoned professionals involved in manufactured housing ‘leadership’ can’t do better than what they are?
Or is it that the industry is underperforming precisely to force smaller firms out and thus foster more consolidation? To help answer that, see the flashback insight below.
While mainstream manufactured homes continues to struggle, industry sources tell MHProNews that Skyline Champion (NYSE:SKY) may be pivoting away from their recent posture toward independents. Skyline Champion leaders have not yet confirmed that claim.
The Census Bureau data will be a fine tee-up for a topic that will be the planned financing related featured report tomorrow morning. Stay tuned.
Until then, to sign up for our ‘read hot’ and ‘industry leading’ emailed headline news, you can sign up in seconds for free via the link below.
Note that when we say ‘read hot’ and ‘industry leading,’ that’s according to third party data, not mere hyperbole. When you’ve got it, show it.
See the related reports for more evidence-based insights on manufactured housing and industry-impacting issues.
Related, Recent, and Read Hot Reports
Are More Blacks Moving to President Trump? “I have done more in three years for the black community than Joe Biden has done in 47 years—and when I’m reelected, the best is yet to come!” Plus Manufactured Home Investing, Stock Updates
Manufactured Housing Industry Investments Connected Closing Equities Tickers
Some of these firms invest in manufactured housing, or are otherwise connected, but may do other forms of investing or business activities too.
- NOTE: The chart below includes the Canadian stock, ECN, which purchased Triad Financial Services, a manufactured home industry lender
- NOTE: Drew changed its name and trading symbol at the end of 2016 to Lippert (LCII).
MHProNews. MHProNews – previously a.k.a. MHMSM.com – has celebrated our tenth anniversary and is in year 11 of publishing.
Learn more about our evolutionary journey as the industry’s leading trade media, at the report linked below.
· For expert manufactured housing business development or other professional services, click here.
· To sign up in seconds for our industry leading emailed headline news updates, click here.
Disclosure. MHProNews holds no positions in the stocks in this report.
That’s a wrap on this installment of “News Through the Lens of Manufactured Homes and Factory-Built Housing” © where “We Provide, You Decide.” © (Affordable housing, manufactured homes, stock, investing, data, metrics, reports, fact-checks, analysis, and commentary. Third-party images or content are provided under fair use guidelines for media.) (See Related Reports, further below. Text/image boxes often are hot-linked to other reports that can be access by clicking on them.)
By L.A. “Tony” Kovach – for MHLivingNews.com.
Tony earned a journalism scholarship and earned numerous awards in history and in manufactured housing. For example, he earned the prestigious Lottinville Award in history from the University of Oklahoma, where he studied history and business management. He’s a managing member and co-founder of LifeStyle Factory Homes, LLC, the parent company to MHProNews, and MHLivingNews.com. This article reflects the LLC’s and/or the writer’s position, and may or may not reflect the views of sponsors or supporters.