HUD Secretary Ben Carson’s Driving Affordable Housing bus tour took him to California, among other stops. Tonight’s featured focus includes a video address where Dr. Carson deviates from his prepared remarks to talk about manufactured homes. There is a steady, vocal supporter for manufactured homes in the nation’s capital, as this evening’s report will reflect.
Periodic readers of this business-nightly feature should note there are new tweaks to some of the standard portions of our evening market/investing report. Read carefully as some changes of the ‘standard text’ that follows before our left-right headlines and also in other features near the end of tonight’s reports.
Every evening our headlines that follow provide snapshots from two major media outlets on each side of the left-right news spectrum that reflect topics that influence or move investor sentiment. In moments on this business evening report, you can get ‘insights-at-a-glance.’
This report also sets the broader context for manufactured housing markets, in keeping with our mantra, “News through the lens of manufactured homes and factory-built housing” ©.
We begin with headlines left-of-center CNN followed by right-of-center Fox Business. We share closing tickers and other related data courtesy of Yahoo Finance, and more. 5 to 10 minutes reading this MHProNews market report every business night could save you 30 minutes to an hour of similar reading or fact-gathering elsewhere.
Perhaps more important, you will get insights about the industry from experts that care, but also dare to challenge the routine narrative that arguably keeps manufactured housing underperforming during an affordable housing crisis.
Headlines from left-of-center CNN Business
- Hoan Ton-That, CEO of Clearview, photographed in New York City on Wednesday, Feb 5.
- Clearview AI has billions of our photos. Its entire client list was just stolen
- How the coronavirus could spark a severe slowdown or recession in the US
- Another coronavirus vaccine sends a biotech’s stock soaring
- Trump’s administration just had its ‘Mission Accomplished’ moment with coronavirus
- Analysis: Trump’s war on truth takes a dangerous turn as he attacks the media’s coronavirus coverage
- LIVE Stocks take a break from this week’s sharp selloff
- Now’s the right time for investors to buy Chinese stocks
- Trump regulators deal a blow to leading coal companies
- Big Tech’s honeymoon with India is ending
- Chipotle is upgrading its queso — again
- Trump campaign files libel lawsuit against The New York Times over 2019 opinion piece on Russia
- A new labor rule could make things tougher for millions of employees
- How to recession-proof your investments
- Bob Iger’s not leaving just yet: His new role at Disney is vital to the company
- Oil and energy stocks are getting crushed by fears about coronavirus
- Maria Sharapova was one of most successful tennis players ever — on and off the court
- IN TECH WE TRUST
- These 26 words ‘created the internet.’ The US government is coming for them
- Microsoft wants to help Americans trust voting again
- Who’s responsible for what you buy on Amazon? A court is about to decide
- This man says he’s stockpiling billions of our photos
- Mysterious ‘1’ notification spooks Samsung Galaxy owners
- IT’S A SMALL WORLD
- Disney became a giant under Bob Iger. But can he can be replaced?
- Bob Iger steps down as Disney CEO
- Who is Bob Chapek, Disney’s new CEO?
- Impossible burgers are coming to Disney parks
- Disney+ has scored 28.6 million subscribers since launch
Headlines from right-of-center Fox Business
- Trump sues New York Times for millions over Russia collusion story
- President Trump’s re-election campaign said Wednesday that it filed a libel lawsuit against The New York Times over an opinion piece that claimed Trump’s campaign colluded with the Russian government in the 2016 election.
- Court sides with Trump in ‘sanctuary cities’ grant fight
- Stocks close down after FDA warns coronavirus on could become a pandemic
- Is the coronavirus a pandemic?
- College shuts down Italy program amid coronavirus outbreak
- Outbreak spills into Latin America
- Amazon issues warning to sellers amid global coronavirus mask shortage
- Jail officials worried Harvey Weinstein will die on their watch
- What to do if your partner cheats on you financially
- White House limits Social Security access: What it may mean for you
- How much money Guy Fieri makes
- Apple expanding into second most populous nation on earth
- How much is George W. Bush worth?
- Coronavirus gives Peloton shares a workout
- Oregonians push county-by-county exodus to form new ‘state’
- Slowest-growing states all have this left-wing tax policy in place
- ‘Most optimistic’ US small business owners to have blockbuster year
- Virgin Galactic wants to open space flights to ‘dramatically’ more people
- What are the cheapest states to live in?
- FCC slapped with complaints over Jennifer Lopez, Shakira halftime show
- Tom Brady pirate move by Buccaneers could cost treasures
- Why the average worker can no longer cover basic expenses for family
- NFL’s Antonio Brown’s $2.7M sexual misconduct settlement fails
- What are the 5 biggest threats to the global economy?
- FBI raids fashion mogul’s New York headquarters amid sex trafficking claims
- Clive Cussler, million-selling adventure writer, dies at 88
- What is Mark Zuckerberg’s net worth?
- eBay removes Kobe Bryant memorial merchandise listings
- How many billionaires are there in the world?
- How Bob Iger built Disney’s reputation for market magic
- Grandfather of tot who fatally fell on Royal Caribbean ship to plead guilty
- Justin Bieber’s best-selling, record-breaking albums
- Trump to address coronavirus threat as CDC warns Americans to brace for worst
- College shuts down Italy program amid growing coronavirus fears
- How much money Barack Obama has
- Toll Brothers profit slides amid luxury-home sales dip
- Coronavirus cancels Ash Wednesday Masses, but Vatican keeps plans
- Democratic debate tickets come with a steep price, prompting backlash
- SEE PICS: Huge Florida lodge includes white-sand beaches and acres of forest
- Walmart renting homes to train InHome delivery workers
- Chipotle adding spicy queso as stock continues hot run
- Sanders, Bloomberg drop millions in North Carolina as cash-hungry Warren, Biden near the red
- Ford’s incoming COO plots cost-cutting, new vehicle launches
- At least 17 people sick with mumps at Colorado ski resort, expected to worsen
- Maria Sharapova, 32, retires from tennis with 5 Grand Slam titles
- Italy’s coronavirus outbreak spreads, country seeks support from neighbors
- App lets users sue phone scammers for up to $3,000 per call
- New US homes selling at fastest pace in more than 12 years
- Supreme Court rules against Intel, allows retirement plan suit
- Starbucks makes big addition to menu
- SEE PICS: Massive fire erupts at Los Angeles oil refinery, shutting down freeway
- Taco Bell considers Beyond Meat, Impossible Foods plant-based menu items
10 Market Indicator Closing Summaries – Yahoo Finance Closing Tickers on MHProNews…
Featured Focus – Where Business, Politics and Investing Can Meet
“The Bay Area’s housing crisis is a slow-moving storm that’s been churning for decades. But now the storm has become a full-on hurricane. In the eye of the storm, middle-class families striving to achieve the American Dream of owning a home. NBC Bay Area’s Melissa Colorado takes an in-depth look at how the housing crisis spiraled out of control,” per that station’s YouTube page with the video posted below.
That video provides a useful snapshot of some of the issues that are examined in far more detail in today’s “Housing Affordability Challenges, Presidential Economic Report and Manufactured Home Opportunities” that is linked below. While the problems are serious, the solution is also arguably includes a heathy dose of manufactured housing. See what the White House and the Council of Economic Advisors had to say, and how that intersects with manufactured housing.
With that backdrop, this evening’s video comes into sharper focus.
“Access to safe, affordable housing is critical to the economic stability of individuals and families, as well as the region as a whole; however, increasing median rents and stagnant incomes have led to a widespread housing crisis across many urban cities across the United States. This summit will bring together leading academics, politicians, and policy practitioners to examine homelessness in California and explores short and long term solutions to helping and housing the state’s most vulnerable population.” So says the YouTube page for the USC Schwarzenegger Institute for State and Global Policy and the USC Sol Price Center for Social Innovation that features the video below.
Arnold Schwarzenegger – not exactly a friend of President Donald J. Trump, to put it mildly – recently thanked the Trump Administration for their efforts at dealing with the affordable housing and homelessness crisis in the Golden State.
It is with that backdrop that this video is useful. HUD’s transcript of the address as written varies considerably from how this ends, so we’ve scrapped the notion of using it.
For example, the quote below is not found on HUD’s version of Secretary Carson’s address as written. The differences are signficant, so presening the drafted version of the Carson address at this time made no sense.
Which goes to this point. Secretary Carson seems to have a sincere interest in promoting manufactured housing. There is no evidence known at this time of his using the legal phrased “enhanced preemption” provision of the Manufactured Housing Improvement Act (MHIA) of 2000. That begs the question, has HUD staff that clearly knowns about the law kept him in the dark? Has the Manufactured Housing Institute (MHI) likewise kept him uninformed about this aspect of the MHIA law?
There are reasons to think so. Carson’s seemingly sincere interest in promoting manufactured housing stands in contrast with the law that his agency could invoke to cause those local zoning and placement barriers to diminish and finally recede. To learn more, see the related reports.
Manufactured Housing Industry Investments Connected Closing Equities Tickers
Some of these firms invest in manufactured housing, or are otherwise connected, but may do other forms of investing or business activities too.
- NOTE: The chart below includes the Canadian stock, ECN, which purchased Triad Financial Services, a manufactured home industry lender
- NOTE: Drew changed its name and trading symbol at the end of 2016 to Lippert (LCII).
MHProNews. MHProNews – previously a.k.a. MHMSM.com – has now celebrated our tenth anniversary.
Learn more about our evolutionary journey as the industry’s leading trade media, at the report linked below.
· For expert manufactured housing business development or other professional services, click here.
· To sign up in seconds for our industry leading emailed headline news updates, click here.
Disclosure. MHProNews holds no positions in the stocks in this report.
“We Provide, You Decide.” © ## (News, analysis and commentary.)
(Image credits and information are as shown above, and when provided by third parties, are shared under fair use guidelines.)
Submitted by Soheyla Kovach, co-managing member of LifeStyle Factory Homes, LLC and co-founder for MHProNews.com, and MHLivingNews.com.
Connect with us on LinkedIn here and here.