The Daily Business News report on SKY earlier today should provide several of the cues that matter to manufactured housing industry professionals and investors. But for some time, manufactured housing stocks have often been gyrating more due to broader market forces, one of the reasons why MHProNews began the mantra – “News through the lens of manufactured homes, and factory-built housing.” © Our focus this evening are two videos, one that puts the Huawei controversy in perspective and the second that sets the table for today’s roller coaster down, which ended with a rebound.
If you’re new, already hooked on our new spotlight feature – or are ready to get the MH professional fever – our headline report is found further below, after the newsmaker bullets and major indexes closing tickers.
The evolving Daily Business News market report sets the manufactured home industry’s stocks in the broader context of the overall markets. Headlines – at home and abroad – often move the markets.
Part of this unique evening feature provides headlines – from both sides of the left-right media divide – which saves busy readers time, while underscoring topics that may be moving investors, which in turn move the markets.
Readers say this is also a useful quick-review tool that saves researchers time in getting a handle of the manufactured housing industry, through the lens of publicly-traded stocks connected with the manufactured home industry.
This is an exclusive evening or nightly example of MH “Industry News, Tips and Views, Pros Can Use.” © It is fascinating to see just how similar, and different, these two lists of headlines can be.
Want to know more about the left-right media divide from third party research? ICYMI – for those not familiar with the “Full Measure,” ‘left-center-right’ media chart, please click here.
Select bullets from CNN Money…
- Google says Google+ bug affected 52.5 million people
- Glory days are over for tech stocks
- Investors with $32 trillion at stake sound the alarm on climate change
- How VR is helping flyers and dental patients calm down
- QVC and HSN prepare for a future beyond TV
- Jailed Huawei executive may learn her fate Monday as China demands her release
- Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey ignites a new storm over Myanmar
- She ‘faked it til she made it.’ Now she runs a billion-dollar jewelry business
- Fearless Girl installed in her new home in front of the New York Stock Exchange
- SoftBank is pulling off the second biggest IPO in history
- The yield curve is flattening. But the party isn’t over yet
- Traders work on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York, U.S., December 7, 2018. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
- Dow plunges below 24,000 before staging a huge comeback
- 10,400 Verizon workers quit their jobs. That’s a good sign for the economy
- Nissan to sell limited edition sports car for $1.1 million
- Carlos Ghosn and Nissan have been indicted in Japan
- Why Carlos Ghosn remains silent two weeks after his arrest
- What happens when CEOs have too much power
- How Japan’s corporate culture allows corrupt CEOs to win
- After Carlos Ghosn, Japan may never hire another foreign CEO
- GoPro moving some production out of China to avoid US tariffs
- China bans most iPhone sales after granting Qualcomm an injunction against Apple
- Exec’s arrest opens a new front in the US-China trade war
- This is what the start of a tech Cold War looks like
- What is Huawei, and why the arrest of its CFO matters
Select Bullets from Fox Business…
- Google CEO Sundar Pichai’s testimony: 3 key takeaways
- Dow claws back from 508 point deficit
- Stock market dive is a vicious cycle: Famed Harvard professor
- Democrat Ocasio-Cortez slams Harvard over lawmaker orientation
- Hundreds of generic drugs at center of probe into ‘largest cartel’ in US history
- Verizon buyouts: 10,400 employees accept severance offer
- Capital spending boom will continue for the next 3 years: Hassett
- Wells Fargo charges students most in fees: Report
- Brexit is dead: Nigel Farage
- UK Prime Minister May, facing defeat, postpones vote
- British pound tumbles to 20-month low
- GoPro to shift camera production from China amid trade conflict
- Goodyear to leave Venezuela
- The world’s highest-paid comedians
- Apple will continue iPhone sales in China
- This is the most expensive city to celebrate New Year’s Eve in
- A good Santa Claus can rake in $15,000 for the season
- Jimmy Kimmel said he earned just $15,000 to host last year’s Academy Awards.
- These companies have the highest minimum wage
- Brexit causing political chaos in UK: Opinion
- Trump’s tariffs threaten US energy dominance
- Europe, the US and everything in between: Thoughts & Worries
- Bill Gates’ favorite books in 2018
- Here’s how much the flu season could cost this year
- Here are the new tax brackets for 2019
- Salute to American Success
- ‘Started from scratch’: The evolution of Adirondack Creamery
- Protein bar makers turn $10,000 into $600M after selling company to food giant
- New York City real estate powerhouse led by a mother-daughter team
- Continue to Salute to American Success
- Thinking about retiring? These states don’t have an income tax
- Having ‘The Talk’ about college costs with your teen
- Navigating the markets to secure your retirement
- How to become an everyday millionaire
Today’s markets and stocks, at the closing bell…
Manufactured Housing Composite Value (MHCV)
Today’s Big Movers
For all the scores and highlights on tracked manufactured home connected stocks today, see the Bloomberg graphic, posted below.
Today’s MH Market Spotlight Report –
We could spend a day just on Huawei, whose CFO was recently arrested in Canada at the request of the U.S. over alleged violations of Iranian sanctions. Japan, Australia, Canada, and the U.S. are among the growing list of nations that have serious concerns beyond Iranian sanctions – and are taking steps against Chinese producers Huawei and ZTE.
Huawei Backgrounder – It’s at core of China’s efforts to Dominate the World: Gordon Chang
Stocks bounce back despite questions over China trade, Brexit
The fundamentals of manufactured housing, as our SKY report today reflects, are sound, for a variety of reasons. But that doesn’t mean that the leadership – for example, of the largest national trade organization, the Manufactured Housing Institute (MHI) is sound.
Without admitting any errors in leadership, MHI’s Jenny Hodge’s monthly economic report reflects the problem. With affordable housing in crisis, MHI has to admit that that for two months in a row, new manufactured housing shipments have slipped.
“The seasonally adjusted annual rate (SAAR) of shipments was 92,236 in October 2018, down 2.8% from the adjusted rate of 94,877 in September 2018. The SAAR corrects for normal seasonal variations and projects annual shipments based on the current monthly total,” said Hodge for MHI.
It couldn’t have come at a worse time for MHI, which has witnessed a the birth of a rival national communities group, and the call for more exits from the Arlington, VA based trade group.
See the related reports, below. Click one or more hot-linked boxes to see that report.
The American Dream is more than housing that someone owns, but that is a key element to it. Properly understood, this story could bridge much of the left-right divide. Properly told, and it would likely need to be a series, it could win a Pulitzer or other prize for reporting.
Bloomberg Closing Ticker for MHProNews…
NOTE: The chart below includes the Canadian stock, ECN, which purchased Triad Financial Services.
NOTE: The chart below covers a number of stocks NOT reflected in the Yahoo MHCV, shown above.
NOTE: Drew changed its name and trading symbol at the end of 2016 to Lippert (LCII).
Berkshire Hathaway is the parent company to Clayton Homes, 21st Mortgage, Vanderbilt Mortgage and other factory built housing industry suppliers.
LCI Industries, Patrick, UFPI and LP all supply manufactured housing.
AMG, CG and TAVFX have investments in manufactured housing related businesses.
Your link to industry praise for our coverage, is found here.
For the examples of our kudos linked above…plus well over 1,000 positive, public comments, we say – “Thank You for your vote of confidence.”
“We Provide, You Decide.” © ## (News, analysis and commentary.)
(Image credits and information are as shown above, and when provided by third parties, are shared under fair use guidelines.)
Submitted by Soheyla Kovach to the Daily Business News for MHProNews.com.