Oil is hovering near a three-year high. What does that mean for the outlook on manufactured housing, and industry related stocks? That will be our focus for tonight.
If you’re new, already hooked on our new spotlight feature – or are ready to get the MH professional fever – our headline reports are found further below, just beyond the Manufactured Housing Composite Value for today.
The evolving Daily Business News market report sets the manufactured home industry’s stocks in the broader context of the overall markets.
Part of this unique feature provides headlines – from both sides of the left-right media divide – that saves readers time, while underscoring topics that may be moving investors, which in turn move the markets.
Readers say this is also a useful quick-review tool that saves researchers time in getting a handle of the manufactured housing industry, through the lens of publicly-traded stocks connected with the manufactured home industry.
MH “Industry News, Tips and Views, Pros Can Use.” ©
ICYMI – for those not familiar with the “Full Measure,” ‘left-right’ media chart, please click here.
Selected headlines and bullets from CNN Money:
- Twitter says all 336 million users should change their passwords
- The self-driving car startup that the auto industry actually trusts
- The housing bust derailed his career. Here’s what he’s doing now
- GE warns its subprime mortgage unit could file for bankruptcy
- Ford smart window lets the blind “see”
- Why is Amazon backing a horse in the Kentucky Derby?
- Amazon plays tough ahead of Seattle tax vote that could cost it $20 million
- Anheuser-Busch orders 800 hydrogen-powered semi trucks from Tesla rival Nikola
- Adidas is still crushing Nike and Under Armour in America
- Kanye West ‘is a very important part of our strategy,’ Adidas CEO says
- Report: Charlie Rose’s alleged harassment included dozens of women, goes back decades
- Oath CEO Tim Armstrong talks ‘massive shift’ to mobile
- One of the world’s biggest smartphone makers has filed for an IPO
- H&M and Zara ditch mohair wool after animal cruelty expose
- Investment chief: ‘This is the rally to sell, not to buy into’
- China tells international airlines to toe the line on Taiwan
- US and China kick off talks to avoid a trade war
- Analysis: Tariffs won’t slow China’s tech rise
- UBS tests China’s promise to allow foreign-owned banks
Selected headlines and bullets from Fox Business:
- Twitter advises 330M users to change passwords after glitch
- Dow claws back after posting triple-digit losses
- China seeks soybean boost for trade war advantage
- Tesla shares sink a day after Musk cuts off analysts
- Adidas backs Kanye West after slavery comments
- No plans to end endorsement and design deal with music star.
- Robotics rise not a job threat: ROBO Global president
- US economy ‘out of whack,’ headed for downturn: Alan Greenspan
- United Airlines hires Josh Earnest, Obama White House press secretary
- Goldman to offer bitcoin futures trading
- Kroger beef recall: Meat may contain tiny bits of plastic
- Gold demand slumps to a 10-year low
- NFL legend Joe Namath: Kaepernick and Eric Reid should be hired
- Amazon not a ‘money spigot’ for small businesses, expert says
- China trade showdown: Treasury Secretary Mnuchin arrives in Beijing
Today’s markets and stocks, at the closing bell…
S&P 500 2,629.73 -5.94(-0.23%)
Dow 30 23,930.15 +5.17(+0.02%)
Nasdaq 7,088.15 -12.75(-0.18%)
Russell 2000 1,546.56 -8.36(-0.54%)
Crude Oil 68.50 +0.57(+0.84%)
Gold 1,312.80 +7.20(+0.55%)
Silver 16.45 +0.08(+0.46%)
EUR/USD 1.1989 +0.0034(+0.28%)
10-Yr Bond 2.95 -0.02(-0.61%)
Manufactured Housing Composite Value (MHCV)
Today’s Big Movers
For all the scores and highlights on tracked manufactured home connected stocks today, see the Bloomberg graphic, posted below.
Today’s MH Market Spotlight Report –
Let’s start with some macro-data, courtesy of CNBC.
U.S. “crude rises 50 cents, settling at $68.43, on OPEC output cuts and worries about Iran sanctions,” said CNBC.
- Oil prices reversed early losses on Thursday, tracking a rebound in the U.S. equity market.
- U.S. oil production also rose to a record of 10.62 million barrels per day (bpd), a jump of more than a quarter since mid-2016.
- Looming over markets is the May 12 deadline by when President Donald Trump is due to decide whether or not to continue waiving U.S. sanctions against Iran.
Following the rocket rise of the markets in 2017, the markets have been roiled for much of 2018, due in part to highly politicalized struggles that have unsettled investor confidence. Earnings, jobs, GDP, and a variety of indictors are positive.
The rise in oil is a mixed bag for the manufactured housing industry, with uneven impact. In areas of the nation where rising crude means more drilling activity, it can become a net positive. When jobs pick up due to more drilling in places like North Dakota, Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, or the Marcellus, the impact can be a net positive.
Rising crude impacts virtually all component costs, but it impacts costs for conventional site builders too.
Those who are potential manufactured home buyers who are priced out of the market by marginal gains in pricing on commodities such as crude oil, could be offset by those who can’t qualify for conventional housing, and turn to manufactured housing instead.
A common pattern is to see a bit of a disruption, but a rapid leveling off as crude, lumber, steel or other product price increases hit manufactured housing.
Bloomberg Closing Ticker for MHProNews…
NOTE: The chart below includes the Canadian stock, ECN, which purchased Triad Financial Services.
NOTE: The chart below covers a number of stocks NOT reflected in the Yahoo MHCV, shown above.
NOTE: Drew changed its name and trading symbol at the end of 2016 to Lippert (LCII).
LCI Industries, Patrick, UFPI and LP all supply manufactured housing.
AMG, CG and TAVFX have investments in manufactured housing related businesses.
Your link to industry praise for our coverage, is found here.
For the examples of our kudos linked above…plus well over 1,000 positive, public comments, we say – “Thank You for your vote of confidence.”
“We Provide, You Decide.” © ## (News, analysis and commentary.)
(Image credits and information are as shown above, and when provided by third parties, are shared under fair use guidelines.)
Submitted by Soheyla Kovach to the Daily Business News for MHProNews.com.