As Robert F. Kennedy Jr and others have previously the case, when national tragedies occur, investigations routinely follow. So why is it that a full year after President Donald J. Trump declared a national emergency for what he called “the China Virus,” Americans have still not been officially told by a nonpartisan or bipartisan commission about the origins and handling of the so-called ‘pandemic?’
MHProNews inquired with lawmakers on both sides of the aisle involved in the hearing reported in the reports linked below in December 2019. While some information was provided, other items requested were stonewalled. Why?
Ask Congress to Investigate COVID Origins and Government Response to Pandemic
Rep. Bill Posey has introduced H.R. 834, a bill that would create an independent bipartisan congressional commission to investigate the origins of COVID-19 and the government’s response to the pandemic.
On March 13, 2020, President Trump formally declared coronavirus a national health emergency. The declaration unleashed billions of dollars in federal aid to state and local governments to respond to the pandemic threat.
Despite those efforts, the coronavirus pandemic led to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people — mostly the elderly. It also caused severe global economic damage, destroyed thousands of small businesses across America and reshaped the country.
The entire nation has suffered crippling economic losses — some of which might have been unnecessarily self-imposed by the way our country responded with lockdowns and closures of wide swaths of our economy.
After a year, we know little about the mysterious and troubling origins of the virus or if our country’s response was effective and efficient. That’s why we’re asking you to ask your member of Congress to support H.R. 834, the Pandemics Require Evaluating, Planning, and Responding Effectively — PREPARE Act — a bill that would create an independent bipartisan congressional commission to answer questions about the COVID-19 pandemic and help us better prepare the U.S. for future pandemic threats.
At the outset, it was appropriate that defeating the virus was the country’s first priority. But now we need to ask tough questions and uncover the facts about every single aspect of the pandemic.
Common sense dictates that we do everything possible to understand what happened so we can take steps to ensure that this type of disaster will not and cannot be repeated.
How did the pandemic start? How could it have been prevented or at least more effectively mitigated?
It is this inquisitive spirit that forms the very foundation of science, freedom of speech and democracy.
On Oct. 6, 2020 Children’s Health Defense (CHD) Chairman Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., representing thousands of families and children who are CHD members, sent a letter to members of Congress outlining important questions the elected leaders need to answer about the coronavirus pandemic.
In his letter, Kennedy asks if the virus is the product of natural evolution and if so, how did it so readily infect humans? Or was the pandemic the result of dangerous coronavirus gain-of-function research funded by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease, and being conducted in Wuhan at the time of the outbreak?
A virus escaping from a lab and leading to a pandemic is not just a hypothetical horror story — it is an historical reality. USA TODAY has reported extensively on dangerous pathogens, including Ebola, SARS and Anthrax, escaping from labs between 2004 and 2016.
Kennedy’s call for Congress to conduct a full independent investigation into the origins of COVID-19 pandemic generated 14,960 emails to members of Congress supporting the inquiry.
On Feb. 4, Rep. Bill Posey (R-Fla.) introduced H.R. 834. The commission created by the bill would be charged with applying the best science from around the world, and it would operate transparently with public access and participation.
On Feb. 23, 28 members of Congress wrote to the principal deputy inspector general of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services requesting a prompt and thorough investigation into the National Institutes of Health’s response to biosafety concerns raised about taxpayer-funded coronavirus research at the Wuhan Institute of Virology in Wuhan, China. To date, they have not received a response.
After 9-11, the American people were left bewildered. In an effort to understand how such a terrorist attack could take place and more importantly, how it could have been prevented, Congress responded by creating the 9-11 Commission.
The devastation from this pandemic deserves the same thoughtful attention. As British Statesman Winston Churchill said, “Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.”
If we do nothing, history will hold us and our system of government accountable.
Republished by MHProNews with permission of the Defender and CHD. Ask Congress to Investigate COVID Origins and Government Response to Pandemic • Children’s Health Defense 3.26.2021 © Children’s Health Defense, Inc. This work is reproduced and distributed with the permission of Children’s Health Defense, Inc. Want to learn more from Children’s Health Defense? Sign up for free news and updates from Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. and the Children’s Health Defense. Your donation will help to support us in our efforts.
Tonight’s featured focus is a related letter from attorney and CHD Chairman, Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Like much that is produced by CHD and their “The Defender,” it is well documented, sourced, and footnoted. If you believe that accountability is necessary in this upending of the American and globally economy, then this is an insightful read.
Before pivoting toward tonight’s featured focus segment – and for the benefit our growing numbers of new readers – a few quick evening/nightly market report insights.
- Every business evening/night, MHProNews provides a bullet list of left-right news headlines from CNN Business and Newsmax. In a matter of moments, savvy professionals can see at a glance news headlines and views across the political spectrum.
- This is a time saving and insightful way to quickly grab insights from across the left-right divide. It is a useful at-a-glance opportunity for those who are hooked on this market-nightly feature.
- Our featured focus follows the quotable quotes, periodic political cartoons, those left-right headlines, and two of our three market summary graphics as reported at the closing bell.
- After the featured focus, are some recent/related report links and the third manufactured housing focused stock equities graphic. There are some additional items that include the free signup for the manufactured housing industry’s x2 weekly emailed news to the most-read trade publication in our profession:
On a mostly up day for manufactured home connected equities, let’s press ahead toward the featured focus on the real-enough health and economic issues caused by the COVID19 ‘pandemic.’ Why is it that there has been no big press for accountability? Attorney and CHD nonprofit chair RFK Jr.’s insights – complete with linked, documented insights, on that are our featured focus tonight.
Quotes That Shed Light – Industry, American, Social, National Issues
Headlines from left-of-center CNN Business
- Change of heart
- This former anti-vaxx influencer promoted misinformation online. Now she’s getting the Covid vaccine
- ‘It’s crazy. There is no inventory.’ Housing industry veteran marvels at real estate boom
- How the traffic jam in the Suez Canal could hit your wallet
- Why rental cars prices have gone insane
- Opinion: Why Janet Yellen is wrong on corporate tax rates
- Fed will lift restrictions on dividends and buybacks for most banks in June
- Labor board orders Musk to delete a 3-year-old anti-union tweet
- WeWork is finally going public through a SPAC
- Dominion Voting Systems files $1.6 billion lawsuit against Fox News
- China slaps duties of up to 218% on Australian wine for 5 years
- Experts on what could happen after milestone Amazon union vote
- Disneyland plans expansion following year of closure
- Disney will release a movie centered around “Black Widow,” played by Scarlet Johansson.
- Your Disney+ bill is about to go up. Here’s why
- BEIJING, CHINA – MARCH 25: People walk by the flagship store of clothing brand H&M at a shopping area on March 25, 2021 in Beijing, China. Many on Chinese social networking platforms called for boycotts of major Western brands, including H&M, after statements made by the companies in the past about Xinjiang cotton resurfaced online.
- China boycotts are a warning to Western brands
- Here’s what to do if you can’t pay your taxes this year
- DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
- ATLANTA, GA – MARCH 17: Mourners visit and leave flowers at the site of two shootings at spas across the street from one another, in memorial for the lives lost, on March 17, 2021 in Atlanta, Georgia. Suspect Robert Aaron Long, 21, was arrested after a series of shootings at three Atlanta-area spas left eight people dead on Tuesday night, including six Asian women.
- ‘No one was listening.’ Asian business owners react to Atlanta shootings
- Jay Leno apologizes for history of anti-Asian jokes
- Connie Chung: The media is late to anti-Asian violence
- This campaign is encouraging eating Asian takeout
- Asian Americans face historic unemployment
- MISINFORMATION WARS
- Facebook, Twitter and Google CEOs grilled by Congress on misinformation
- Why Facebook restricted Myanmar military’s accounts
- Misleading vaccine posts easy to find on Facebook
- Twitter bets on crowdsourcing to stop misinformation
- Study: Right-wing misinfo on Facebook is more engaging
Headlines from right-of-center Newsmax
• Biden Will Sign Executive Orders to Beef Up Gun Control Measures: WH
• The Biden Presidency
• Rep. Burgess: Biden Owes Border Officials Apologies for Surge
• Biden Used Cheat Sheets at Press Conference
• GOP Lawmakers Press Biden to Open Border for Media Scrutiny: ‘Insult to Free Press’
• WH, Secret Service Deny Roles in Hunter Biden Gun Incident
• Biden: Voting Rights War ‘Makes Jim Crow Look Like Jim Eagle’
• Biden Won’t Yet Commit to Transparency on Border Crisis
• Biden Says ‘Hard’ to Achieve May 1 Afghanistan Exit
• Biden Defends Border Approach, Rollback of Trump Policies
• NKorea Is Warned Against Escalation After Suspected Ballistic Tests
• Why Is Media Access at the Border an Issue?
• Access to government-run facilities housing young immigrants on the border with Mexico has caused one of the first tussles between news organizations and the two-month-old administration of Joe Biden. Before the doors opened slightly this week, the media was limited in…
• Related Stories
• Sen. Mike Lee: Senators Taunted Across Rio Grande by ‘Smugglers, Cartel’
• Biden Won’t Yet Commit to Transparency on Border Crisis
• Georgia Election Officials Are Sued Over New Voting Rules
• Georgia’s elections chief was sued by a group of nonprofit civic
• White House: Biden ‘Worried’ About New Georgia Election Law
• Dems Decry Georgia Gov. Kemp Signing Election Law
• James Comer to Newsmax TV: Congress Faces ‘Challenge’ Holding Big Tech Accountable
• Rep. James Comer, R-Ky., told Newsmax TV on Friday that if Congress
• Former CDC Chief Redfield: Coronavirus ‘Escaped’ From Wuhan Lab
• A former top U.S. health official says he thinks the coronavirus
• US to Distribute 11M Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 Shots Next Week
• US Pulls Over 95% of Stockpiled Medical Gowns on Safety Worry
• Report: Pregnant Women Show Strong Immune Response to COVID-19 Vaccines
• Democrats May Push Progressive Agenda With Budget Reconciliation
• Though President Joe Biden talked up his bipartisan bona fides on the
• Dominion Voting Files $1.6B Suit Against Fox News
• Fox News washit with a $1.6 billion defamation suit filed by Dominion
• DeSantis to Feds: End National Cruise Line ‘Lockdown’
• Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is calling for the federal government to
• NASA Gives All Clear: Earth Safe From Asteroid for 100 Years
• NASA announced this week that new telescope observations have ruled
• Gillibrand Defends Call for Cuomo Resignation as ‘Opinion’
• U.S. Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand defended her call for New York Gov.
• Trump to Remain Neutral in Alabama Senate Race
• Donald Trump is almost certain to remain neutral in Alabama’s
• Boston, Newark, and Norfolk, Va., Picked as Mass Vaccination Centers
• The White House announced three cities will become federally run mass
• Trains Collide in Southern Egypt, Killing at Least 32
• Two trains collided on Friday in southern Egypt, apparently after
• Bernie Sanders, Killer Mike Meet With Amazon Workers Trying to Unionize
• Bernie Sanders and his longtime political partner, rapper Michael
• US Cyber Command Chief: Attacks by Foreign Hackers Are ‘Clarion Call’
• US Cyber Command Chief: Attacks by Foreign Hackers Are ‘Clarion Call’
• The U.S. Cyber Command conducted more than two dozen operations aimed
• Arkansas Governor Signs Transgender Sports Ban
• Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson on Thursday signed a law banning
• Suspected Boulder Mass Shooter Moved From Jail Due to ‘Threats to His Safety’
• Suspected Boulder Mass Shooter Moved From Jail Due to ‘Threats to His Safety’
• The suspect in the mass shooting that took place in Boulder,
• Suez Canal Blockage Sparks Fears of Toilet Paper Shortage
• The world could be headed for another toilet paper shortage,
• Trump: Capitol Jan. 6 Events Posed ‘Zero Threat’ to Lawmakers
• Former President Donald Trump is arguing that his supporters who went
• Supreme Court Weighs Taking Up Major Gun Rights Case
• The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday will discuss taking up a major new
• Minnesota Dinner Theater Scraps ‘Cinderella’ Because of Too-White Cast
• A Minnesota dinner theater has cancelled its plans to perform a
• Senate Candidate Josh Mandel to Newsmax TV: Biden ‘Not All There’
• Republican candidate for Ohio’s U.S. Senate seat Josh Mandel
• Zogby Poll: Majority Agree Progressive Ideas on Race, Gender, Cancel Culture Undermining Society
• Most business leaders think certain progressive ideas about society
• UPDATE 5-At Least 3 Killed as Tornadoes Rip through Alabama, Destroying Homes and Businesses
• Powerful tornadoes tore through Alabama on Thursday, killing at least
• Rep. Buddy Carter to Newsmax TV: Social Media Giants ‘Still Don’t Get It’
• Social media CEOs appear not to be getting the message about
• Rep. McCaul to Newsmax TV: China Doesn’t Fear Biden
• Texas GOP congressman and China Task Force Chairman Mike McCaul
• Suez Canal Could Be Blocked for Weeks by ‘Beached Whale’ Ship
• A huge container ship blocking the Suez Canal like a “beached whale”
• Consumer Spending, Income Temporarily Fall Ahead of Massive Fiscal Stimulus
• U.S. consumer spending fell by the most in 10 months in February as a cold snap gripped many parts of the country and the boost from a second round of stimulus checks to middle- and lower-income households faded…
• VW to Seek Damages From Former Executives in Diesel Scandal
• Apple Considers Launching Rugged Watch For Extreme Sports
• China Erasing H&M from Internet Amid Xinjiang Backlash
• Suez Canal Could Be Blocked for Weeks by ‘Beached Whale’ Ship
• Report: Pregnant Women Show Strong Immune Response to COVID-19 Vaccines
• A new report discovered that pregnant and breastfeeding women enjoy a robust immune response to COVID-19 vaccines.
• Even a Little Coffee in Pregnancy Could Impact Newborn’s Weight: Study
• FDA Clamping Down on Abuse of an OTC Decongestant
• Cancer Drug Might Help Treat Alzheimer’s
• Why Sleep Is So Important to Vaccination Efficacy
Market Indicator Closing Summaries – Yahoo Finance Closing Tickers on MHProNews…
Featured Focus –
Where Business, Politics and Investing Can Meet
Let us begin this MHProNews news analysis by noting that RFK Jr was actively reaching across the aisle in this call for accountability. Robert F. Kennedy Jr., a self-described lifelong Democrat, is promoting the effort of Rep Bill Posey, a Florida Republican. It is because Posey is pushing for accountability.
Note that this letter from Kennedy is dated before the 2020 election. MHProNews wants to lay out the facts Kennedy presents. We plan to do a follow up in the foreseeable future that will make this point. There has been an obvious lack from both major parties to push for transparency and accountability on this troubling issue.
OCTOBER 21, 2020
CHD’s Letter to Congress Urging COVID-19 Origins Investigation
On October 6, Children’s Health Defense board chairman Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. and president Lyn Redwood wrote to key members of the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives asking for a thorough Congressional investigation of the origins of the COVID-19 virus.
Please contact your Senators and Representatives urging them to ensure that a thorough investigation of COVID’s origins is launched immediately using our advocacy platform.
October 6, 2020
Children’s Health Defense
1227 N. Peachtree Pkwy, Suite 202
Peachtree City, GA 30269
Congressman Bill Posey
2150 Rayburn HOB
Washington, DC 20515
Dear Congressman Posey,
Since it first emerged in China in November of last year, SARS-Cov-2 (COVID-19) has swept across the globe and ravaged communities throughout the United States. The CDC reports that 209,560 Americans have died from COVID-19 as of today, October 6. Millions of Americans have lost their jobs and thousands of U.S. businesses have shut their doors permanently. Our children have had their education and lives disrupted. This disease has reshaped our country.
We are writing to request that you fully investigate this matter of great importance to our nation and to the thousands of individuals and families who are members of Children’s Health Defense. You serve on the House Science, Space, & Technology Committee and these matters fall within the purview of your responsibilities on that Committee. You have the jurisdiction and the duty to lead these investigations, to bring greater understanding and transparency to what happened, and to help the nation.
Defeating this pandemic should be our first priority but we should not be reticent to also ask questions about the virus itself. As humans, we are driven to ask questions and explore the world around us. That is why we have gone to the moon, it’s how we discovered penicillin, and it’s why science continues to advance. This inquisitive spirit that leads us to ask questions and research the problems that we face is the underlying foundation of science, freedom of speech, democracy, and western philosophy.
“Consider this hypothetical scenario: an important gain-of-function experiment involving a virus with serious pandemic potential is performed in a well-regulated, world-class laboratory by experienced investigators, but the information from the experiment is then used by another scientist who does not have the same training and facilities and is not subject to the same regulations. In an unlikely but conceivable turn of events, what if that scientist becomes infected with the virus, which leads to an outbreak and ultimately triggers a pandemic?”
These are not our words, but rather they are the words of Anthony Fauci, director of the NIAID, in a 2012 letter to the microbiology journal mBio advocating for gain-of-function experiments. Today, questions about the origin of COVID-19 have largely been dismissed without answers. We believe Dr. Fauci laid out a scenario eight years ago that deserves a full investigation today, particularly when you consider that the Wuhan Institute of Virology was doing the very type of research set forth in Dr. Fauci’s hypothetical scenario.
It would be unthinkable to not investigate the causes leading up to and contributing to the circumstances around the Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, or Fukushima Daiichi nuclear accidents. Is it not strange that we have so quickly moved past the origin of this pandemic? We have a virus that has led to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people—mostly the elderly—caused severe global economic damage, and destroyed thousands of small businesses across America, and there is little serious consideration as to where this virus originated. Common sense says that we should do everything possible to understand exactly how this novel coronavirus pandemic came about so that we may take steps to ensure that it will not and cannot be repeated.
Some reputable scientists have raised the issue that the virus could have escaped from a lab as Dr. Fauci said was a possibility in 2012. Others have suggested that COVID-19 was a natural result of contact between animals and humans. That may indeed be the case; however, given the magnitude of the impact this pandemic has had on humankind, we need more than mere speculation or finger pointing about its origins. It is our duty to ourselves, to our children, and to humanity to seek out and discover the truth.
A virus escaping from a lab and leading to a pandemic is not just a hypothetical horror story; it is an historical reality—in 1977, the H1N1 flu reappeared in China and swept across the globe. Scientists have identified this outbreak as the result of an escape from an unidentified lab. Moreover, USA Today has done extensive reporting on other dangerous pathogens, including Ebola, SARS, and Anthrax, escaping from labs between 2004 and 2016. More recently ProPublica has reported on the exposures of researchers to chimeric coronaviruses at the University of North Carolina. The National Academy of Science and the Federal Select Agent Program have both documented the risks of research being done on highly dangerous pathogens. Some of these escapes have involved viruses similar to SARS-CoV-2. Fortunately, these escapes have rarely led to any infections, but we must take this investigation seriously because these pathogens represent some of the deadliest diseases humanity has encountered. COVID 19 is the sentinel deadly warning of worse to come and we ignore its origins at our own peril.
COVID-19 first broke out in the city of Wuhan, in the shadow of the world’s leading coronavirus research lab, but the communist Chinese government originally labeled a neighboring wet market as the point of origin of the virus. Investigations have shown that the virus started in the province as early as November 17th and that the market was only an early super spreader event. The Huanan market in Wuhan is very far from the Yunnan province caves where similar coronaviruses were found but it is only a few miles from the Wuhan Institute of Virology which was performing coronavirus research on SARS-like viruses.
In order to determine the cause of COVID 19, the first question to ask is “do we know what research the scientists conducted at the Wuhan Institute of Virology?” We can answer this question with information from grants provided to the Wuhan lab and its very own scientific publications.
The Wuhan Institute of Virology is a biosafety level-4 lab that has made its reputation studying infectious diseases, particularly coronaviruses similar to SARS. In fact, because coronaviruses are endemic to bats, Zheng-Li Shi, the virologist directing coronavirus research, was nicknamed China’s “Bat Woman.” As a part of their work, researchers in the Wuhan lab were engaged in engineering SARS-like viruses through what is known as “gain-of-function” coronavirus research. We also know that U.S. taxpayer dollars through the National Institutes of Health were funding some of that work (see below, NIH grant NIAID R01AI110964 that was awarded in 2014 via a third party – EcoHealth Alliance in New York). Gain-of-function research takes existing pathogens and tries to make them more dangerous for humans with the ultimate goal being to prepare vaccines and therapeutics to combat future emergent viruses. The Wuhan Institute of Virology was combining and manipulating SARS-like coronaviruses in the hopes of better understanding how the original SARS pandemic came about and to prepare for new viruses that could emerge from bats. In the course of this research they engineered new SARS-like viruses that were efficient at infecting humans cells through the same receptor that the SARS virus uses. SARS-CoV-2 is this exact type of virus that Wuhan researchers were creating and storing. In fact, the closest relative of the SARS-CoV-2 virus is the RaTG13 virus which is studied and stored exclusively at the Wuhan Institute. Moreover, Ralph Baric, a leading U.S. coronavirus researcher, has pointed out that it is possible to engineer a virus without leaving a trace. He notes that SARS-CoV-2 was not engineered with any known published genetic information and that it is not possible to tell if it was engineered using an unpublished genetic sequence.
In the November 30, 2017, issue of the medical journal PLOS Pathogens, Zheng-Li Shi and other Wuhan researchers describe how they constructed chimeric novel coronaviruses – that is new genetically-engineered coronaviruses by combining the genetic materials from various known coronaviruses. They show in the paper that three of these chimeric coronaviruses were found to be easily transmitted in human cells. In other words, they were potentially highly infectious to humans. This paper also notes that it was partially funded by the 2014 U.S. National Institutes of Health and the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease (NIAID) grant (R01Al110964) provided to New York-based EcoHealth Alliance. A number of other federal grants, in the amount of $53 million, have been awarded to EcoHealth from various federal agencies over the past decade. The Wall Street Journal has reported that the NIH recently demanded that EcoHealth turn over all of the information they have about the research resulting from their work relating to Wuhan and coronaviruses. The US Congress and the American people have a right to know exactly what work their tax dollars supported in China. Even without China’s assistance, much of this information may be obtained in greater detail, and by subpoena if necessary, from quarterly and annual reports, emails, meetings, and phone communications by the grant program managers and involved staff at NIAID and EcoHealth both between themselves and Wuhan.
The timing of the 2014 grant has raised additional questions; it was awarded at the same time the United States was imposing a moratorium on gain-of-function research. The NIH put this moratorium in place due to concerns of prior pathogen escapes from biosafety rated laboratories. In 2015, University of North Carolina virologists, who had previously been studying coronaviruses, published a paper with researchers in Wuhan. As noted in the paper, this work was funded by a grant awarded prior to the moratorium. These researchers at the Wuhan Institute of Virology later continued their work after the moratorium using grant money awarded to EcoHealth Alliance from NIAID. The Wuhan Institute has performed groundbreaking studies of SARS and made tremendous gains in coronavirus research, but no lab is immune to safety failures or escapes. In fact, the Washington Post reported that 2018 internal State Department memos outlined serious concerns about safety lapses at the Wuhan lab.
More recently, on September 15, the Telegraph reported that “an international team of scientists will examine the possibility SARS-CoV-2 leaked from a laboratory.” The article also reports that the leader of this team will be Peter Daszak who is the President of EcoHealth Alliance which funded gain-of-function coronavirus research in the same Wuhan lab that he is being called to investigate. While Dr. Daszak is a well-respected expert on emerging infectious diseases, there are clear conflicts of interest that must be addressed.
Given the destruction that this COVID-19 pandemic has caused, and the various issues raised above, the American people who have been harmed deserve a thorough investigation into the origins of this virus. There are many questions that the American people, the US Congress, our children and our parents deserve answers to. Among them are:
Did COVID-19 evolve naturally and if so, how did it so readily infect the human population?
- If it evolved naturally, why did the outbreak occur more than 1,000 miles from where similar strains of bat coronaviruses are found in Yunnan caves?
- The original SARS virus rapidly mutated after it entered the human population in 2002 and only stopped late in the pandemic but, from the beginning, SARS-CoV-2 (the COVID-19 virus) has remained very genetically stable in human populations suggesting a unique adaptation to the human host and transmission. What are likely explanations for this stability?
- Though scientists initially suspected that pangolins were the intermediate host, that theory has been rejected; what other intermediate hosts explain the virus’ adaptation to human transmission that has made it so dangerous?
- Why, of all places, did the outbreak occur in the shadow of the Wuhan lab where coronavirus research was being conducted, if the outbreak and the lab have no connection?
Did COVID-19 escape from the Wuhan lab? If so:
- How did this happen?
- What were the lab failures or safety protocols that were violated?
- What measures can be taken to ensure that there is never again a pandemic with lab origins?
Could COVID-19 be the result of gain-of-function research? And, if so:
- Are there are other coronaviruses, being held at the Wuhan Institute of Virology or elsewhere, that are more similar to SARS-CoV-2 than RaTG13 is?
- Has the Wuhan lab made all of the coronavirus genomes that it has sequenced publicly available for the scientific community to study?
- What did officials at NIH, NIAID, EcoHealth Alliance and other U.S. entities know about the details of the gain-of-function research taking place at the Wuhan lab?
- Do the NIH, NIAID, EcoHealth Alliance or anyone associated with these organizations know any details related to the possible origins of COVID-19 that have not been shared with the American people?
- Should U.S. taxpayer money have been provided to the Wuhan lab given the safety protocol issues highlighted in U.S. government documents and U.S. newspaper reporting?
- Did the NIH funding of gain-of-function research in Wuhan in 2014-2019 violate the letter or spirit of the U.S. moratorium on gain-of-function research that was put in place in 2014?
- Was the R01Al110964 grant from NIH to EcoHealth Alliance orchestrated in such a manner that it was intended to circumvent the U.S. moratorium on gain-of-function research? Were US government officials aware of the use of this grant for gain-of-function research in spite of the funding pause?
- Did any other U.S. government grants to EcoHealth aid the gain-of-function research taking place at the Wuhan lab? A lab that was involved in very risky “gain-of-function”
We are not suggesting malintent. Indeed, nobody at the Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, or Fukushima Daiichi nuclear facilities meant for a dangerous radiation leak to happen. Harm and malevolence arise from silencing those who are demanding answers or failing to investigate the pandemic’s origin, mistakes made, and how best to prevent future events from recurring. For most people currently alive, COVID-19 is the greatest destructive event of their lifetime, and is a defining time point in world history. China, by the nature of its communist political system, cannot be relied on to thoroughly investigate this matter. It falls upon the leadership of the U.S. Congress to accept its moral duty and God-given and legally pre-ordained responsibility to launch complete and transparent investigations. The grants and publications which show that U.S.-funded coronavirus gain-of-function research was taking place at Wuhan are public and cannot be ignored forever. If we do nothing, history will hold us and our system of government accountable.
We trust that you, your office, and the House Science, Space, & Technology Committee will take the steps necessary for a full and thorough investigation into the issues of the origin of the virus. The Lancet COVID-19 Commission, which chose Daszak to lead their investigation into the origins of the virus, cannot be trusted to effectively eliminate conflicts of interest from their investigation. This shows the need for an independent investigation by the leaders that we have elected to guide us through crises such as these. This investigation must begin in earnest and with haste.
Please review the linked (attached) documents which substantiate the issues raised.
Robert Kennedy, Jr., Chairman
Children’s Health Defense
Lyn Redwood, RN, MSN, President
Children’s Health Defense
Cc: Senator Rand Paul, Senator Tom Cotton, Senator Ron Johnson, Senator Josh Hawley, U.S. Representative Jim Jordan, U.S. Representative Carolyn Maloney, U.S. Representative James Comer
 “Updated Estimates of the Impact of COVID-19 on Global Poverty,” World Bank, accessed September 14, 2020, https://blogs.worldbank.org/opendata/updated-estimates-impact-covid-19-global-poverty.
 “Impact of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic on The Employment Situation for August 2020: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics,” U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, accessed September 14, 2020, https://www.bls.gov/covid19/employment-situation-covid19-faq-august-2020.htm.
 “Yelp: Local Economic Impact Report,” Yelp Economic Impact Report, accessed September 14, 2020, https://www.yelpeconomicaverage.com/yelp-coronavirus-economic-impact-report.
 Xing-Lou Yang et al., “Isolation and Characterization of a Novel Bat Coronavirus Closely Related to the Direct Progenitor of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus,” Journal of Virology 90, no. 6 (December 30, 2015): 3253–56, https://doi.org/10.1128/JVI.02582-15.
 “NRC: Backgrounder on the Three Mile Island Accident,” United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission, accessed September 14, 2020, https://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/fact-sheets/3mile-isle.html.
 “NRC: Backgrounder on Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant Accident,” United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission, accessed September 14, 2020, https://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/fact-sheets/chernobyl-bg.html.
 “NRC: Backgrounder on NRC Response to Lessons Learned from Fukushima,” United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission, accessed September 14, 2020, https://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/fact-sheets/japan-events.html.
 “COVID-19 Provisional Counts – Weekly Updates by Select Demographic and Geographic Characteristics,” CDC Provisional Counts, September 9, 2020, https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm.
 “Coronavirus: The Economic Impact – 10 July 2020 | UNIDO,” accessed September 14, 2020, https://www.unido.org/stories/coronavirus-economic-impact-10-july-2020#story-start.
 “Yelp: Economic Impact Report” https://www.yelpeconomicaverage.com/yelp-coronavirus-economic-impact-report.
 Though written and published very early in the pandemic the following article by Andersen et al. remains the only significant investigation into the origins of SARS-CoV-2: Kristian G. Andersen et al., “The Proximal Origin of SARS-CoV-2,” Nature Medicine 26, no. 4 (April 2020): 450–52, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41591-020-0820-9.
 Shing Hei Zhan, Benjamin E. Deverman, and Yujia Alina Chan, “SARS-CoV-2 Is Well Adapted for Humans. What Does This Mean for Re-Emergence?,” BioRxiv, May 2, 2020, 2020.05.01.073262, https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.05.01.073262; Jean Claude Perez and Luc Montagnier, “COVID-19, SARS and Bats Coronaviruses Genomes Unexpected Exogenous RNA Sequences,” n.d., 39 https://osf.io/d9e5g/; “Could COVID-19 Have Escaped from a Lab?,” Boston Magazine, September 9, 2020, https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/2020/09/09/alina-chan-broad-institute-coronavirus/.
 H. C. Kung et al., “Influenza in China in 1977: Recurrence of Influenzavirus A Subtype H1N1,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization 56, no. 6 (1978): 1.
 Michelle Rozo and Gigi Kwik Gronvall, “The Reemergent 1977 H1N1 Strain and the Gain-of-Function Debate,” MBio 6, no. 4 (September 1, 2015): 1, https://doi.org/10.1128/mBio.01013-15; Joel O. Wertheim, “The Re-Emergence of H1N1 Influenza Virus in 1977: A Cautionary Tale for Estimating Divergence Times Using Biologically Unrealistic Sampling Dates,” PLOS ONE 5, no. 6 (June 17, 2010): 1, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0011184
 Alison Young, “Hundreds of Bioterror Lab Mishaps Cloaked in Secrecy,” USA TODAY, accessed September 14, 2020, https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/08/17/reports-of-incidents-at-bioterror-select-agent-labs/14140483/; “Inside America’s Secretive Biolabs,” USA TODAY, accessed September 14, 2020, https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/05/28/biolabs-pathogens-location-incidents/26587505/; Alison Young, “Hundreds of Safety Incidents with Bioterror Germs Reported by Secretive Labs,” USA TODAY, accessed September 14, 2020, https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/06/30/lab-safety-transparency-report/86577070/.
 Jessica Blake and Alison Young, “Here Are Six Accidents UNC Researchers Had With Lab-Created Coronaviruses,” ProPublica, accessed September 14, 2020, https://www.propublica.org/article/here-are-six-accidents-unc-researchers-had-with-lab-created-coronaviruses.
 Board on Life Sciences et al., Gain-of-Function Research: Summary of the Second Symposium, March 10-11, 2016, ed. Piers Millett et al. (Washington, D.C.: National Academies Press, 2016), https://doi.org/10.17226/23484; Alison Hottes, Benjamin Rusek, and Fran Sharples, Biosecurity Challenges of the Global Expansion of High-Containment Biological Laboratories (Washington, D.C.: National Academies Press, 2012), https://doi.org/10.17226/13315; “Federal Select Agent Program – Select Agents and Toxins List,” accessed September 14, 2020, https://www.selectagents.gov/SelectAgentsandToxinsList.html.
 Several of the outbreaks at UNC involved SARS-associated coronaviruses and one exposure in April 2020 was to lab-adapted SARS-CoV-2. Blake and Young, “UNC Accidents with Lab-Created Coronaviruses” https://www.propublica.org/article/near-misses-at-unc-chapel-hills-high-security-lab-illustrate-risk-of-accidents-with-coronaviruses “Six Accidents UNC Researchers Had” https://www.propublica.org/article/here-are-six-accidents-unc-researchers-had-with-lab-created-coronaviruses
 “Federal Select Agent Program – Select Agents and Toxins List.” https://www.selectagents.gov/SelectAgentsandToxinsList.html.
 “Wuhan’s Huanan Seafood Market a Victim of COVID-19: CDC Director – Global Times,” accessed September 14, 2020, https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1189506.shtml; “China’s First Confirmed Covid-19 Case Traced Back to November 17,” South China Morning Post, March 13, 2020, https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3074991/coronavirus-chinas-first-confirmed-covid-19-case-traced-back.
 Xing-Yi Ge et al., “Coexistence of Multiple Coronaviruses in Several Bat Colonies in an Abandoned Mineshaft,” Virologica Sinica 31, no. 1 (February 2016): 31–40, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12250-016-3713-9.
 Chung-Chau Hon et al., “Evidence of the Recombinant Origin of a Bat Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS)-Like Coronavirus and Its Implications on the Direct Ancestor of SARS Coronavirus,” Journal of Virology 82, no. 4 (February 2008): 1819–26, https://doi.org/10.1128/JVI.01926-07; Yang et al., “Isolation and Characterization of a Novel Bat Coronavirus Closely Related to the Direct Progenitor of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus” https://doi.org/10.1128/JVI.02582-15.
 Ben Hu et al., “Discovery of a Rich Gene Pool of Bat SARS-Related Coronaviruses Provides New Insights into the Origin of SARS Coronavirus,” PLoS Pathogens 13, no. 11 (November 2017): e1006698, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.ppat.1006698. See the “Funding” section for information on grant NIAID R01AI110964.
 Lei-Ping Zeng et al., “Bat Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome-Like Coronavirus WIV1 Encodes an Extra Accessory Protein, ORFX, Involved in Modulation of the Host Immune Response,” Journal of Virology 90, no. 14 (15 2016): 6573–82, https://doi.org/10.1128/JVI.03079-15.
 Yang et al., “Isolation and Characterization of a Novel Bat Coronavirus Closely Related to the Direct Progenitor of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus.” https://doi.org/10.1128/JVI.02582-15.
 “Possibile creare un virus in laboratorio senza lasciare traccia? La risposta dell’autore della chimera del 2015 di cui parlò Tg Leonardo,” L’HuffPost, September 14, 2020, https://www.huffingtonpost.it/entry/e-possibile-creare-un-virus-in-laboratorio-senza-lasciare-traccia-la-risposta-dellesperto_it_5f5f3993c5b62874bc1f7339.
 Sarah Scoles, “How Do We Know If a Virus Is Bioengineered?,” Medium, August 5, 2020, https://onezero.medium.com/how-do-we-know-if-a-virus-is-bioengineered-541ff6f8a48f.
 “EcoHealth Alliance Funding,” accessed September 14, 2020, https://www.usaspending.gov/keyword_search/EcoHealth.
 Betsy McKay, “WSJ News Exclusive | NIH Presses U.S. Nonprofit for Information on Wuhan Virology Lab,” Wall Street Journal, August 19, 2020, sec. US, https://www.wsj.com/articles/nih-presses-u-s-nonprofit-for-information-on-wuhan-virology-lab-11597829400.
 “Doing Diligence to Assess the Risks and Benefits of Life Sciences Gain-of-Function Research,” whitehouse.gov, October 17, 2014, https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/blog/2014/10/17/doing-diligence-assess-risks-and-benefits-life-sciences-gain-function-research; “EcoHealth Alliance Funding” https://www.usaspending.gov/keyword_search/EcoHealth.
 Richard D. Henkel, Thomas Miller, and Robbin S. Weyant, “Monitoring Select Agent Theft, Loss and Release Reports in the United States—2004–2010,” Applied Biosafety 17, no. 4 (December 1, 2012): 171–80, https://doi.org/10.1177/153567601201700402; “Inside America’s Secretive Biolabs” https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/05/28/biolabs-pathogens-location-incidents/26587505/; Young, “Hundreds of Bioterror Lab Mishaps Cloaked in Secrecy” https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/08/17/reports-of-incidents-at-bioterror-select-agent-labs/14140483/.
 M. M. Becker et al., “Synthetic Recombinant Bat SARS-like Coronavirus Is Infectious in Cultured Cells and in Mice,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 105, no. 50 (December 16, 2008): 19944–49, https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0808116105; Vineet D. Menachery et al., “A SARS-like Cluster of Circulating Bat Coronaviruses Shows Potential for Human Emergence,” Nature Medicine 21, no. 12 (December 2015): 1508–13, https://doi.org/10.1038/nm.3985.
 Josh Rogin, “Opinion | State Department Cables Warned of Safety Issues at Wuhan Lab Studying Bat Coronaviruses,” Washington Post, accessed July 31, 2020, https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/14/state-department-cables-warned-safety-issues-wuhan-lab-studying-bat-coronaviruses/; “State Department FOIA Results,” accessed September 15, 2020, https://foia.state.gov/Search/Results.aspx?caseNumber=F-2020-05255.
 Paul Nuki and Sarah Newey, “Scientists to Examine Possibility Covid Leaked from Lab as Part of Investigation into Virus Origins,” The Telegraph, September 15, 2020, https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/scientists-examine-possibility-covid-leaked-lab-part-investigation/.
 “Dr. Peter Daszak,” EcoHealth Alliance, accessed September 30, 2020, https://www.ecohealthalliance.org/personnel/dr-peter-daszak.
 Jimmy Lee et al., “No Evidence of Coronaviruses or Other Potentially Zoonotic Viruses in Sunda Pangolins (Manis Javanica) Entering the Wildlife Trade via Malaysia,” BioRxiv, June 19, 2020, 2020.06.19.158717, https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.06.19.158717.
 “EcoHealth Alliance Funding” https://www.usaspending.gov/keyword_search/EcoHealth.
 Hu et al., “Discovery of a Rich Gene Pool of Bat SARS-Related Coronaviruses Provides New Insights into the Origin of SARS Coronavirus” https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.ppat.1006698; Michael J. Selgelid, “Gain-of-Function Research: Ethical Analysis,” Science and Engineering Ethics 22, no. 4 (2016): 923–64, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11948-016-9810-1.
 Nuki and Newey, “Scientists to Examine Possibility Covid Leaked from Lab as Part of Investigation into Virus Origins.”
Republished by MHProNews with permission of the Defender and CHD. Ask Congress to Investigate COVID Origins and Government Response to Pandemic • Children’s Health Defense 10.21.2021 © Children’s Health Defense, Inc. This work is reproduced and distributed with the permission of Children’s Health Defense, Inc. Want to learn more from Children’s Health Defense? Sign up for free news and updates from Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. and the Children’s Health Defense. Your donation will help to support us in our efforts.
From early on in the handling of this economic and health disaster, MHProNews and our MHLivingNews sister site raised concerns about the origins and handling questions. Among those were concerns about how this would or could be used to be a massive transfer of wealth. Regrettably, that concern has been confirmed. See the linked reports below for more.
Programming Notice. ‘Knowledge is power,’ so a lack of knowledge is a lack of power. MHProNews aims to provide the best rounded and accurate information that fits our motto of “News, Tips, and Views Pros Can Use“. © where “We Provide, You Decide.” ©
Related, Recent, and ‘Read-Hot’ Reports
This report below is still one of the most-read reports on MHLivingNews.
It has stood the test of time with well documented insights.
Manufactured Housing Industry Investments Connected Closing Equities Tickers
Some of these firms invest in manufactured housing, or are otherwise connected, but may do other forms of investing or business activities too.
- NOTE: The chart below includes the Canadian stock, ECN, which purchased Triad Financial Services, a manufactured home industry lender
- NOTE: Drew changed its name and trading symbol at the end of 2016 to Lippert (LCII).
- NOTE: Deer Valley was largely taken private, say company insiders in a message to MHProNews on 12.15.2020, but there are still some outstanding shares of the stock from the days when it was a publicly traded firm. Thus, there is still periodic activity on DVLY.
MHProNews. MHProNews – previously a.k.a. MHMSM.com – has celebrated our 11th year of publishing, and is starting our 12the year of serving the industry as the runaway most-read trade media.
Sample Kudos over the years…
It is now 11+ years and counting…
Learn more about our evolutionary journey as the industry’s leading trade media, at the report linked below.
· For expert manufactured housing business development or other professional services, click here.
· To sign up in seconds for our industry leading emailed headline news updates, click here.
Disclosure. MHProNews holds no positions in the stocks in this report.
That’s a wrap on this installment of “News Through the Lens of Manufactured Homes and Factory-Built Housing” © where “We Provide, You Decide.” © (Affordable housing, manufactured homes, stock, investing, data, metrics, reports, fact-checks, analysis, and commentary. Third-party images or content are provided under fair use guidelines for media.) (See Related Reports, further below. Text/image boxes often are hot-linked to other reports that can be access by clicking on them.)
By L.A. “Tony” Kovach – for MHLivingNews.com.
Tony earned a journalism scholarship and earned numerous awards in history and in manufactured housing. For example, he earned the prestigious Lottinville Award in history from the University of Oklahoma, where he studied history and business management. He’s a managing member and co-founder of LifeStyle Factory Homes, LLC, the parent company to MHProNews, and MHLivingNews.com. This article reflects the LLC’s and/or the writer’s position, and may or may not reflect the views of sponsors or supporters.