On the first day of trading in 2019, the broader market stocks rose marginally. Manufactured housing stocks tracked closed mixed.
But watch tomorrow closely, because the announcement by Apple has cause their stock – and others in the tech sector to drop, per MarketWatch and others. It’s a troubling reality that manufactured housing, which should be more resistant to such market moves is in part held hostage by other market forces. That will be our focus this evening.
If you’re new, already hooked on our new spotlight feature – or are ready to get the MH professional fever – our headline report is found further below, after the newsmaker bullets and major indexes closing tickers.
The evolving Daily Business News market report sets the manufactured home industry’s stocks in the broader context of the overall markets. Headlines – at home and abroad – often move the markets. So, this is an example of “News through the lens of manufactured homes, and factory-built housing.” ©
Part of this unique evening feature provides headlines – from both sides of the left-right media divide – which saves busy readers time, while underscoring topics that may be moving investors, which in turn move the markets.
Readers say this is also a useful quick-review tool that saves researchers time in getting a handle of the manufactured housing industry, through the lens of publicly-traded stocks connected with the manufactured home industry.
This is an exclusive evening or nightly example of MH “Industry News, Tips and Views, Pros Can Use.” © It is fascinating to see just how similar, and different, these two lists of headlines can be.
Want to know more about the left-right media divide from third party research? ICYMI – for those not familiar with the “Full Measure,” ‘left-center-right’ media chart, please click here.
Select bullets from CNN Money…
- That’s not necessarily a good thing for the economy
- Gas is the cheapest it’s been since 2017
- Five ways to tell if a slowdown will lead to a recession
- The biggest risks to stocks in 2019
- Tech companies want AI to police content. But it needs work
- Tesla will cut prices to combat tax credit phase out
- Qatar wants a slice of China’s huge aviation market
- China’s biggest ride-hailing app is now selling health insurance and loans
- Deals and dilemmas as the media industry begins 2019
- PERSPECTIVES How populism will cause a crisis in markets
- It’s do-or-die time for Sears
- Retail’s Amazon antidote: Buy online, pickup in store
- India just made life tougher for Amazon and Walmart
- Walmart turns to robots and apps in stores
- Barclays app stops you spending on the wrong stuff
- You need an app to shop in Alibaba’s grocery stores
- Meet one of the biggest stars in video gaming
- He makes $500,000 a month playing video games
- Tencent’s gaming nightmare in China is coming to an end
- Chinese tech company will check gamers’ ages
- Nintendo Switch is headed to school
Select Bullets from Fox Business…
- Trump calls December stock market plunge a ‘glitch,’ expects rebound on trade deals
- Stocks end volatile first day of 2019 with small gains
- Drugs that will cost more in 2019
- Trump trade war taking toll on China’s economy?
- Cathay Pacific mistakenly sells $16,000 flight for $675
- These states are experiencing the greatest population growth
- Biggest lottery jackpots in US history
- California will force these companies to hire female board directors
- US military members to get a big raise
- Construction worker shortage tops sector concerns in 2019
- Trump: Falling gas prices are ‘tax cut’ for US consumers
- US soccer star Christian Pulisic scores record $73M transfer deal
- Tax season: How you can come out a winner
- Only this many Americans can cover a $1,000 emergency
- These US taxpayers will pay more thanks to new law
- GM electric vehicle tax credit phase-out to begin this year: Report
- These cars will be killed off in 2019
- Tesla lowers prices on all vehicles
- Netflix hires Activision CFO
- Oil 2019 comeback in the cards
- Fidelity: Ignore stock market turbulence and stick to long-term goals
- Opinion: Beef, romaine recalls just tip of iceberg: Here’s how blockchain can help
Today’s markets and stocks, at the closing bell…
Manufactured Housing Composite Value (MHCV)
Today’s Big Movers
For all the scores and highlights on tracked manufactured home connected stocks today, see the Bloomberg graphic, posted below.
Today’s MH Market Spotlight Report –
MarketWatch, Yahoo News and scores of others are reporting that prior concerns over reporting unit sales by Apple on their iconic iPhones were realized this evening.
“The tech giant, which became the only public U.S. company to reach a $1 trillion valuation last year before a fourth-quarter collapse for its shares, confirmed the fears that led to the stock decline by lowering its forecast Wednesday afternoon,” said MarketWatch tonight. “In a letter to shareholders, Chief Executive Tim Cook said that Apple will report much lower sales than previously expected, largely due to slowing iPhone sales and pressure in China.”
“While we anticipated some challenges in key emerging markets, we did not foresee the magnitude of the economic deceleration, particularly in Greater China,” Tim Cook wrote. “In fact, most of our revenue shortfall to our guidance, and over 100% of our year-over-year worldwide revenue decline, occurred in Greater China across iPhone, Mac and iPad.”
This rolls into the subject of China and the trade deal. While China still claims to be growing their economy, some claim that the communist nation is inflating their figures to mask the impact of tariffs and other economic headwinds they are facing.
While both China and the U.S. want a deal, each think the other has the weaker hand. Chinese leaders – for instance – think President Trump’s administration was weakened by the Democratic take over of the House of Representatives during the midterms. Meanwhile, news out of China and the serious plunge of their markets make U.S. trade negotiators think they have the edge. While U.S. markets took a ‘headline hit’ in 2018, the fundamentals of the economy remains strong.
What It Means for MHVille?
It won’t be a surprise if Apple’s after hours drop this evening results in the FAANG stocks also sliding, which could lead to a broader market drop tomorrow.
What that should be telling objective observers is that FAANG, or other huge conglomerates like Berkshire Hathaway, are having an disproportionate impact on the broader markets – and also on the economy.
Earlier today, the Daily Business News on MHProNews reported that the roughly $1 trillion-dollar Nuveen gave a bullish outlook on the manufactured housing sector. That’s justified, in term of potential.
But what historically has been a resilient, counter-cyclical industry – manufactured housing (MH) in general – is now more accurate for the MH Community sector in specific.
There is a serious need for company leaders to re-evaluate several signals that MHProNews has been reporting, especially during the closing days of 2018.
It’s not personal. Facts are what they are. The industry’s reality-checks are arguably objective facts-evidence-and-professional issues. To learn more inside baseball, see the related report, by clicking the linked text/box below.
“… Tony, these guys have long knives …” read part of a message from a former, high ranking, MHI member. Here’s a longer quote from another company president. “… See you in Louisville. I just finished a book on [name of book withheld]. One of the sayings from that…comes to mind: “Don’t give up the ship!”
Bloomberg Closing Ticker for MHProNews…
NOTE: The chart below includes the Canadian stock, ECN, which purchased Triad Financial Services.
NOTE: The chart below covers a number of stocks NOT reflected in the Yahoo MHCV, shown above.
NOTE: Drew changed its name and trading symbol at the end of 2016 to Lippert (LCII).
Berkshire Hathaway is the parent company to Clayton Homes, 21st Mortgage, Vanderbilt Mortgage and other factory built housing industry suppliers.
LCI Industries, Patrick, UFPI and LP all supply manufactured housing.
AMG, CG and TAVFX have investments in manufactured housing related businesses.
Your link to industry praise for our coverage, is found here.
For the examples of our kudos linked above…plus well over 1,000 positive, public comments, we say – “Thank You for your vote of confidence.”
“We Provide, You Decide.” © ## (News, analysis and commentary.)
(Image credits and information are as shown above, and when provided by third parties, are shared under fair use guidelines.)
Submitted by Soheyla Kovach to the Daily Business News for MHProNews.com.