Long before others in manufactured housing raised the topic of artificial intelligence (AI), robotics and automation as a concern for workers and independent businesses, the Daily Business News on MHProNews has led the charge on raising the industry’s awareness of the many nuances to this disruptive challenge.
With giants like Clayton Homes, directly and via surrogates, touting their edge in this field, the presidential initiative on AI is timely (see related reports, at the end of this post, below). Part of the discussion needs to be how can the playing field be kept level between huge companies and smaller firms, down to the mom-and-pop level company?
We’re presenting the White House’s official statement to the Daily Business News on the issue in its entirety, below.
We’ve paired the Oval Office briefing with a video overview, courtesy of Special Report.
Artificial Intelligence for the American People
INFRASTRUCTURE & TECHNOLOGY
Issued on: May 10, 2018
“We’re on the verge of new technological revolutions that could improve virtually every aspect of our lives, create vast new wealth for American workers and families, and open up bold, new frontiers in science, medicine, and communication.”
– President Donald J. Trump
PRIORITIZING FUNDING FOR ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE (AI) RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT (R&D): The Trump Administration has prioritized funding for fundamental AI research and computing infrastructure, machine learning, and autonomous systems.
- The Federal Government’s investment in unclassified R&D for AI and related technologies has grownby over 40% since 2015, in addition to substantial classified investments across the defense and intelligence communities.
- In the annual guidanceto heads of executive departments and agencies, Office of Management and Budget (OMB) and the White House Office Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) directed agencies to focus on emerging technologies including machine learning and autonomous systems.
- President Trump’s FY2019 Budget Request was the first in history to designate artificial intelligence and autonomous and unmanned systems as Administration R&D priorities.
REMOVING BARRIERS TO AI INNOVATION: The Trump Administration is enabling the creation of new American industries by removing regulatory barriers to the deployment of AI-powered technologies.
- Last September, the Department of Transportation released an updateto the 2016 Federal Automated Vehicles Policy, providing non-regulatory guidance to automated vehicle developers to enable the safe integration of driverless cars onto American roadways.
- In October, President Trump signed a Presidential Memorandumto permit States and localities to conduct innovative commercial and public drone operations currently prohibited under FAA regulations.
- Last month, the FDA approvedthe first ever AI-based device for medical diagnostics to detect diabetic retinopathy, the leading cause of blindness among working-age Americans.
TRAINING THE FUTURE AMERICAN WORKFORCE: President Trump has taken Executive action to give the American worker the skills to succeed in the 21st century economy.
- Last June, President Trump signed an Executive Orderestablishing industry-recognized apprenticeships and creating a cabinet-level Task Force on Apprenticeship Expansion.
- In September, President Trump signed a Presidential Memorandumprioritizing high-quality Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) education, with a particular focus on computer science education, and committing $200 million in grant funds that were matched by a private industry commitmentof $300 million.
ACHIEVING STRATEGIC MILITARY ADVANTAGE: The Trump Administration’s National Security Strategy recognizes the need to lead in artificial intelligence, and the Department of Defense is investing accordingly.
- President Trump’s National Security Strategywas the first in history to specifically call out the importance of AI for the future of the American military.
- The National Defense Strategycommitted to investing broadly in military applications of autonomy, AI, and machine learning.
LEVERAGING AI FOR GOVERNMENT SERVICES: Executive departments and agencies are applying AI to improve the provision of government services to the American people.
- The President’s Management Agendacalls for using automation software to improve efficiency of government services and maximizing Federal data sharing with the American public, which will support non-Federal AI research applications.
- The General Services Administration is conducting pilot programsthat leverage AI, including a tool to predict regulatory compliance that is scheduled for production in cloud.gov this year.
LEADING INTERNATIONAL AI NEGOTIATIONS: White House OSTP led U.S. delegations to the 2017 and 2018 G7 Innovation and Technology Ministerials, and is working with our allies to recognize the potential benefits of AI and promote AI R&D.
- In March, OSTP negotiated the 2018 G7 Innovation Ministers’ Statement on Artificial Intelligence, following an AI outcome documentfrom the 2017 G7 innovation ministerial, which recognizes the importance of AI innovation for economic growth and supports efforts to promote trust in and adoption of AI technologies.
- The Trump Administration is also pursuing international AI R&D collaboration through agreements such as the first-ever Science and Technology (S&T) agreementbetween the United States and the United Kingdom and the March Joint Statement between the United States and France on S&T cooperation.
————- end of White House’s brief to MHProNews ————-
Technological advances have served humanity for centuries. Will this time be different? The challenges include the fact that other nations are pushing robotics, AI and automation in their military, cyberwarfare and in business too. It’s a complex issue, one that we’ll continue to report on. ## (News, analysis, and commentary.)
(Third-party images and content are provided under fair use guidelines.)
By L.A. “Tony” Kovach – for MHProNews.com.
Tony is the multiple award-winning managing member of LifeStyle Factory Homes, LLC, the parent company to MHProNews, and MHLivingNews.com.
Office 863-213-4090 |Connect on LinkedIn:
Click here to sign up in 5 seconds for the manufactured home industry’s leading – and still growing – emailed headline news updates.